PNPC LtCmdr Akeelah D'Sena - Combination Therapy?

1 view

Jess

Oct 18, 2021, 9:14:59 PM10/18/21
to IC Conny

(( Sick Bay ))

When Akeelah arrived she saw that Foster was busy with someone from the looks it could be T'Seva. Someone was eager and she couldn't blame her one bit. So Akeelah remained back, when someone noticed her and wanted to help she raised her hand and gestured to Foster as a sign that she wanted to talk to him and quietly waited, drawing out a PADD from a side pocket of the wheelchair and read to keep herself busy and quiet her mind. That briefing had been surprisingly taxing for the telepath.

She didn't watch the time but at some point when she looked up the other patient, client, whatever medics called it in that situation, left and she placed the PADD on her lap and moved the wheelchair closer to Foster.

Foster: Commander D’Sena, I didn’t expect you.  ::He let his back pop and release before gazing at her.::  What’s on your mind?

D'Sena: Make me walk within the next 15 hours.

No greeting, no intro, no explanation just that. Her fully black eyes fixed on his. They had spend so much time together during her rehabilitation that he knew the way she preferred to communicate. No need for unnecessary niceties.

Foster: As I told you before, the physical damage is fixed.  The nerves are repaired.  Beyond muscle weakness from disuse the biggest barrier is to get your overactive, too smart for its own good brain to connect with the nerves on their level and get them working again.

D'Sena: I don't care what I have to do for it, Cade. I want to get my hands on these people. And you heard the Commander, only able bodied people.

Foster: I did, and we both know Saveron is absolutely serious about that.  ::He leaned back and gazed evenly at her.:: Which begs the question are you doing this to save Jalana or to get revenge?

She pressed her lips together. It was a fair question. And they were close enough that he deserved the truth. He was actually one of those people who would know if she didn't give it to him straight.

D'Sena: Both. The main reason of course is to get the Commodore back, but I also want to give hell to the people who put me in this thing.

Foster: Honestly, if it gets you to walk, I don’t care why.

The Rodulan nodded, glad he was seeing that way.

D’Sena: Good. Then what can you do?

Foster: Again, we’ve worked on this for the better part of a year.  You know your legs can hold you, and you know your body is fixed.  But you’re Rodulan.  And while that’s almost always a boon, it’s not in this case.  Your brain controls your body far more than most species, so you not only have to consciously want and need to walk, but subconsciously want and need to walk.

D’Sena: ::nodding again:: It is what we worked on.

Foster: I know, we made progress breaking down the barriers, but that’s slow.  And you have fifteen hours.  ::He straightened back up again and rocked on his feet.:: But you also have a burning reason to bring your subconscious on board.

D’Sena: ::nodding:: I do. Not only do I believe that my skills will be useful to retrieve the Commodore, but be able to payback some of that pain the Syndicate caused me may be helpful for my process. ::That sounded all high and mighty, she heard it and added.:: I want to kick their asses to another planet.

He nodded slowly and she could feel he was thinking. Well hear some parts of it here and there. Not that she tried but it was on the surface of his mind and she was particularly sensitive about those kind of thoughts. Still she tried not to listen in too much.

Foster: I have a theory.  An idea.  It’s not pretty.  But it might work.

She knew that tone even without the whole reaction of his mind behind it. It made her slightly nervous but if it was a chance, it was a chance.

D’Sena: Why the ominous tone? What is that theory?

Foster: If you have the will to fight, and you are completely onboard with getting into able bodied condition in fifteen hours… ::he took in a slow breath:: I can hyperstimulate the area to basically jump start and force your brain to form new bonds with the repaired nerves.

Fully black eyes remained on him, and part of their nature that they always looked staring, and nobody ever knew if she was actually looking at people or somewhere else but there would not be a hint of a doubt that she was actually *staring* right at him. If this option had been mentioned before she forgot about that, she thought though she'd remember if it had.

D’Sena: We worked together for over a year and you are just now bringing that up? Why?

Foster: Hyperstimulation will cause acute pain, which you can dampen by reforming those connections and moving the legs ::he stressed the moving the legs part:: basically it forces your brain to recognize the repaired nerves, and the more you move them the more you bleed off the stimulus, the pain recedes.  But if you can’t form those connections?  Then you’re in a lot of pain and it will remain painful until the nerves calm down on their own.  I give you painkillers and sedatives, you sleep through the mission and we lose ground on physical therapy.  So yes, there’s a risk.

The Rodulan frowned slightly as she thought about what Cade said. The thought of a sudden jolt through the nerves and brain would certainly sound painful. It sounded like there was a chance it would not be painful, but it should be expected. And for how long? And would her muscles be able to work through the whole mission like that?

D'Sena: So I either am in pain and then that stops and it works. Or I'm in pain and have to be knocked out.

Foster: response

Akeelah leaned back in her chair thinking. She wanted this, she really wanted this. But it also sounded... scary. What if it didn't work? Or if it did and her muscles would give out too soon? She didn't want to become a burden to the team.

D’Sena: Do we have alternatives?

Foster: response

D'Sena: There are things that support species that naturally live in different gravity levels like Elaysians. Exoskeletons and the like. Would those work?

Foster: response

D'Sena: How about a combination? It may not help against the pain but it would help as a support to ease the muscles into functioning wouldn't it? Just the skeleton alone might not be enough but both together?

Foster: response

-----
LtCmdr Akeelah D'Sena
Security Officer - Momentarily off duty