Ensign Maxwell Tannhauser - Just Tryin' to Give Myself a Little Bit of Fun

Maxwell Tannhauser

Sep 27, 2022, 9:22:31 PMSep 27
to sb118-con...@googlegroups.com

(( Daaka Waters ))

Max, Commander T’Seva, Dr. Foster, and Mo’kana were being carried by the current. Art was the destination, and Max was hoping that the museum was less interactive than their last stop.

Tannhauser: Commander, please tell me you didn’t get any photos of me in that mess down there.

T’Seva: If I did, do you think I would tell you as opposed to saving it for a more interesting moment?

Foster: oooh, clever…

Mo’kana: What is clever?

Foster: Well… it’s teasing.  Do you have teasing in your culture?

Mo’kana: No… humor yes.  Teasing no.

Tannhauser: I’m not sure how I feel about that…

Foster: I’d feel like you’ve become part of the crew, Maxwell.  Hopefully you feel comfortable here, too.

Max grinned at Dr. Foster from behind his helmet. He had yet to meet most of the crew, but he had to admit he felt at home with these people. They were kind, funny, adventurous, and had just saved his butt.

T'Seva: Absolutely everyone on the ship has some embarrassing pictures. Somebody got one of me drunk at the Pot O'Latinum.

Foster: Ok, that I wanna see.

Tannhauser: Hang on, I’m still stuck on Pot O’Latinum…

Mo’kana: I ask the same… what is Pot – O – Latinum?

T'Seva: It's this absolutely awful "Irish Pub."

Mo’kana: Pub?

They were drifting in a small group, and Dr. Foster turned towards Mo’kana.

Foster: Drinking establishment that serves intoxicating beverages.

Mo’kana gave an expression of understanding, like. Lightbulb went off above her head as T’Seva went forward on her story.

T'Seva: On the starbase. Run by a Ferengi who has no clue what he's doing. It's so bad it's kind of fun in its own weird tacky way.

Tannhauser: That sounds horrendously awful. Let’s go the instant we get back.

Foster: I know, right?  Now I wanna check this place out.

Mo’kana: Why would you want to go to a place if it was awful?

She asked with brimming curiosity as they floated into the city on currents.

Tannhauser: how does one explain “hurts-so-good”? I need an ancient recording of John Cougarcamp… is that his name? Does anyone know what I’m talking about?

Max turned to Dr. Foster and Commander T’Seva who looked at him blankly.

T’Seva: response

Foster: Sometimes in our land dwelling culture we find things that are bad.  And sometimes they are so bad that they gain value because they are entertaining.

Mo’kana: How?

Tannhauser: humans can derive joy from anything. We don’t want to put ourselves in danger, but we participate in orbital skydiving. We know horror holonovels are scary, but play them anyway. It’s the same way with things that can be unpleasant. Sometimes it’s the experience, not the content.

T’Seva: response

Foster: yes!  Like if you watch a little kid perform.  They’re not good and you don’t expect them to be good.  But you enjoy it anyways.

Mo’kana: So Ferengi are children?

Tannhauser: don’t let a Ferengi hear you say that.

Mo’kana: Ah, so Ferengi are not children.  But they act like them?

T’Seva: response

Tannhauser: I think we all can act like children sometimes.

Foster/T’Seva/Mo’kana: response

Tannhauser: speaking of acting like children: are we there yet?

Foster/T’Seva/Mo’kana: response

Ensign Maxwell Tannhauser

HCO Officer

U.S.S. Constitution