Ensign Yirah - Falconers

Zeno

Jan 24, 2024, 1:32:05 PMJan 24
to sb118-con...@googlegroups.com
(( Avling Lakes - Loop Trail ))

Indrid smiled as Kvash took the feather he offered her and continued down the trial, coming across a large bird perched in a tree.

Yirah: Look at that bird Kvash.

Kvash: Now that reminds me of...

As they got closer, Indrid could see that the bird was standing next to a nest, with the heads of several baby birds poking out of it, beaks open for food.

Yirah: Oh, it's a parent. ::he smiled.::

Kvash: Must be guarding the nest while their mate gets food for the chicks.

Yirah: I guess with this planet being in perpetual winter, they stocked it with animals that had been adapted to the environment.

Before arriving he had read a little bit about Arentis' terraformation process. Turning a planet into a giant ice ball wasn't easy, and making an ecosystem out of imported species was even harder, although he imagined that some of the species might have been genetically modified in order to better fit the environment.

Kvash: It looks like it would make a good falconry bird. I remember this one time on Klinzhai.

Indrid looked at Kvash expectantly. When she didn't say anything further, simply looking at the bird, he gently nudged her shoulder with the palm of his hand. He knew that Klingon's used the back of their hand to challenge each other to a fight to the death, and Indrid certainly wasn't looking for a fight.

Yirah: Come on, tell me what happened. Or does what happens on Klinzhai stay on Klinzhai? :: he joked. ::

Kvash: :: laughing :: Oh, well. There was a guy doing a falconry demonstration, and it was cold.

Kvash: Greyfalcon, white phase. Big bird. Anyway, there was this guy going on and on and on about how hunting with targs was superior and falconry was for women and children, not warriors.

Yirah: I bet that didn't go well for him.

Kvash: And by Kahless! The dang bird flew over his head and...unloaded.

Indrid started laughing.

Yirah: Oh no! That must have been embarrassing for him.

Kvash: It was like it knew he was insulting its honor!

Yirah: :: still laughing :: I bet that taught him that falconry was an acceptable way of hunting.

Kvash: That's why falconers always, always wear hats.

Yirah: :: nodding :: On Trill we have a system of herding animals that uses certain types of domesticated birds. It's different from falconry, but it still requires people who specialize in training the birds.

Kvash: response

Indrid shook his head.

Yirah: Not me. I have an uncle who trains them though.

Kvash: response

Yirah: Oh, well, there are some different breeds, like Earth dogs, they have been bred for different things.

Kvash: response

Yirah: My uncle trains xer'ji though sometimes he trains other breeds if they are needed. But xer'ji are very agile in the air which makes them good for herding ghan.

Kvash: response

Yirah: Wow! That's cool!

Kvash: response

--