JP Lieutenant JG Lystra & Commander Sarah Mason - Mending all wounds

Rameses

Jul 10, 2021, 12:21:45 PM7/10/21
to sb118-con...@googlegroups.com

((Sickbay, USS Constitution-B))

Sarah knew something was wrong before she opened her eyes. She had been fading in and out, briefly aware of voices before losing consciousness again. Her whole body ached, but her head in particular was excruciating. It felt like it took all her effort to even open her eyes and once she did, it took a few blinks because everything was blurry.

Lystra had almost fallen asleep, mostly from crying herself to sleep fretting over Sarah and what was to become of them. Feeling like she’d failed at her job because the love of her life had been so badly wounded. So when she heard Sarah’s voice, she snapped awake.

Mason: uhnn..

She let out a groan as she tried to make sense of the situation.

Lystra: Sarah? ::She rushed to her side, standing beside the biobed::

Mason: Wha.. hap’nn

She struggled to talk, but the sight of the beautiful Boslic helped her to not panic. She had ended up in sickbay after a mission before and it had taken a long time to recover.

Lystra: The pirates detonated a tri-cobalt device. It hit the Stardrive section and blew off one of the warp nacelles. Did a lot of damage and from what the doctor’s told me. You have both a concussion and minor burns from your console rupturing.

Her voice was wavering, but she also stood rigidly. Staring down at Sarah, who, even laying in a Sickbay bed, barely cognizant, was just the most gorgeous sight to Lystra’s eyes.

Pirates.. Tri-cobalt device. She tried to remember, but only could place herself on the battle bridge. She wrinkled her brow slightly, trying to think, but it made her head hurt more.

Mason: How long?

Lystra: It’s been a week since we got back to port. The ship is going to need major repairs.

A week?! How was that possible? She was on the battle bridge. She blinked, then she was here. And if she was hurt, was anyone else hurt?

Mason: A week..

Lystra: I’m sorry, Sarah! ::She blurted out suddenly:: I’m sorry I’m so stupid..

Sarah hadn’t been expecting the outburst, but she could see Lystra was upset. She just didn’t understand why at first. Of course, this had been the longest conversation they had had since...

Mason: Why do you say that?

The Boslic stood, quivering slightly but held Sarah’s gaze. She was in so much pain and hurting, both seeing her love like this and knowing that she likely single handedly ruined the greatest thing to ever happen in her life.

Lystra: Because, I..well I am. I should never have proposed like I did. I didn’t even ask if it was something you wanted with someone like me.

Sarah’s heart sank. So it was about.. That. She still hadn’t fully dealt with her feelings about the proposal, but she felt guilty for running the way she had.

Mason: Someone like you?

She nodded briskly, that lavender hair falling about her face like a sorrowful veil.

Lystra: Yes...someone who’s...was...is….me. ::She murmured softly::

Mason: Lystra.. It wasn’t that I don’t want to marry you.

Stars but that was wonderful to hear, and yet at the same time she was confused and a torrent of emotion from the events of the last week and a half.

Lystra: Then...what did I do wrong?

Sarah sighed. This would be easier if she wasn’t hurting so much, but she knew they needed to get it out in the open and her head was clearer than when she first woke up. They should have done it right away, but instead she had hid at Jalana’s. And now.. It sounded like she could have very easily been killed and Lystra would have never known how she really felt.

Mason: You just move so fast. Our relationship has been moving at warp speed and I haven’t had a chance to breathe.

So that was it. Thinking back she could see why Sarah would feel that way. Though they’d served together for years. It had been what. A year, maybe, since the two of them fell for one another and became an item. And in that time they’d fallen in love. Professed their feelings. Moved in together.

Lystra: Oh. ::She sighed:: I’m sorry Sarah.I just can’t help how I feel about you and...I know I am a handful.

Mason: ::she let out a small airy chuckle:: I knew you were a handful long before we became an item.

She smiled softly, but still stared down at Sarah somberly.

Lystra: I’ve never loved anyone as much as I do you. And I’ve always had to keep moving. Moving forward, moving fast. Because...if I stop...it’ll feel like I’m trapped again. Ch..chained again.

The Boslic trembled, recalling the years spent as nothing more than someone else’s property with no rights, or choice of her own. It was that, mostly, that was the source of her drive. What caused Lystra to rush headlong into danger to protect or save others. Part of her fire, because she never wanted to be that terrified girl again.

Although Sarah had seen sides of Lystra that many would surely never see, but at this moment even she was surprised at the raw admission.

Mason: But wouldn’t marrying me force you to stop?

Lystra: You’re the best thing that’s happened in my life. And I just don't want to be without you. I proposed because of that. Because I love you. You’re my binary twin and I always burn brighter when I’m with you.

She gently took Sarah’s hand, leaning over her biobed slightly. It caused the necklaces she’d had specifically made for the two of them to clink together. Sarah had run off after the proposal, and had left the necklace behind. Lystra had taken in it hopes that she might want it someday.

Sarah blinked in surprise. Partially from the statement and partially from her necklace. As scared as she had been by the proposal and how fast they were moving, she couldn’t deny that her feelings for Lystra were still there just as strong as ever.

Mason: I love you too, Lystra. I never stopped loving you.

She felt as though her heart was going to burst out of her chest upon hearing that, but Lystra managed to compose herself somehow.

Lystra: Really? ::She exhaled:: Stars you don’t know how good it is to hear that.

Sarah fought back tears. The reality of the situation was weighing on her and after Lystra opened up, she felt it was the right time.

Mason: I’m sorry I ran away instead of just talking to you.

Lystra: No, it’s fine. I messed up and I should be the one who’s sorry.

Mason: It’s strange. This is twice now that I feel lucky to still be alive after a mission, but all those eyes on me with such a serious question.. I guess I just panicked.

Lystra: I’m so sorry Sarah. ::Her eyes widened, she clearly hadn’t considered the pressure of a public proposal:: I didn’t mean...

Mason: No- I know that wasn’t your intention. I just wanted to explain.

Lystra: Ok. ::She nodded, still holding Sarah’s hand::

Mason: I think ::beat:: I think I just want to adjust to us living together for a while. Enjoy where we are. I intend to be with you for the long haul. That is.. if you’ll still have me?

A warm smile raised the Boslic’s lips and lines streaked down her cheeks, as tears finally fell, unable to be stemmed any longer. Lystra reached up to brush away some of the stray strands of Sarah’s fiery hair from her face and she nodded briskly. Without another word she leaned down and gently kissed the woman she adored so much.

She lost track of how much time passed before she took a breath and slowly straightened, just a little. Staring down into Sarah’s eyes.

Lystra: Of course I still want you, Sarah. You’re my binary twin.

Mason: ::smiling softly:: Good.

She gently pecked Sarah on the lips, smiling brightly at her before straightening completely.

Lystra: I was so scared. When I saw you lying on the deck. And angry. With the pirates. With myself.

Mason: Why with yourself? You didn’t do this to me.

Lystra: Well, because...if you had.. ::She couldn’t say the word died:: I thought you were mad at me, or didn’t want me anymore and that you would have...left heartbroken. I don’t know.

Sarah froze for a moment, feeling the weight of Lystra’s words. How close had she been to dying again? Was this the way it always would be? Why was it harder now that she had someone she cared about? She gave Lystra a knowing look.

Mason:  ::shifting uncomfortably:: Were there any casualties?

She nodded lightly, and her eyes narrowed to a scowl a moment. A mournful frown.

Lystra: We lost fourteen crew. Seven here on the ship, during the battle. And another seven on the mine.

Sarah fought back tears. It was never easy losing anyone, but nobody said life in Starfleet was easy.

Mason: Was it… I mean, did you know them?

Lystra: I knew three of them. ::her lip quivered slightly:: It was hard, at the memorial. Without you.  I...don’t handle losing people well.

Mason: Oh Lystra, I’m sorry..

Sarah tried to turn to reach up and caress the Boslic’s face and winced, suddenly feeling nauseous from the pain.

Seeing Sarah wince in pain the protector in Lystra kicked in and she crouched beside the biobed, concern written on her face.

Lystra: Easy, love. Are you alright?

Mason: ::faking a smile:: I’m fine, really..

Lystra: Liar. ::She giggled::

Sarah thought about the last time she ended up in severe medical care after a mission and shuddered. It had been terrifying and she hadn’t known if she would ever return to service. This time was different though. This time she had an anchor, someone to visit her and help her heal. Someone to fight for.

The silence that came next wasn’t awkward to Lystra, instead it was comforting because Sarah was awake and she was happy to be able to be with the woman that meant the universe to her.

Mason: I.. I’m scared that if I fall asleep I’ll learn this conversation was just a dream. Is that silly?

Lystra: ::She smiled warmly and shook her head, lavender hair spilling about:: Not at all. And don’t you worry. The ship isn’t going anywhere for a while and neither am I. So..so you get better and come back to me okay?

Lystra leaned in and kissed Sarah deeply. She was happy. Her love was hurt, but alive. Sarah wasn’t mad with her, she still wanted her. After almost losing her, she knew she could handle taking things slower. Just being with the wonderful redhead until Sarah was ready and wanting to make their relationship more permanent.

END

---

JP by:

Commander Sarah Mason