Lieutenant Jacob Horne - Take It From Me

1 view

Jeff Newell

Jul 29, 2021, 5:54:09 PM7/29/21
to sb118-con...@googlegroups.com
((USS Constitution – Main Engineering))

Sirn stood in the entryway of Engineering, observing the work being performed around him. Being in his quarters for so long, he had no idea what was going on aboard the ship, let alone his own department.

Horne: Oh hey hi.

Sirn looked around for the voice, his eyes falling on Lieutenant Horne. He appeared to be in pain and struggling to stand. He moved over to the Lieutenant, who had finally fully stood up by the time he arrived.

Sirn: Lieutenant, were you injured during the mission?

Horne: Oh I'm fine.  I've been working with Lystra on a new training program.  I wasn't much help on the last mission during the fighting and she's working with me on a few things.

Sirn: Well, I do hope that she does not break our Assistant Chief Engineer.

Jacob smiled appreciatively at the sentiment.

Horne: Right so what brings you by?  I thought you might take a few days to recover.  Once we get to starbase 104 and have more resources we're going to be swamped with all of these repairs.

Sirn: I took an adequate amount of recovery time. I was beginning to feel...restless in my quarters. Not even meditation could take my mind off of the work that needs to be completed. ::He held up his PaDD with the holographic bridge modifications:: My time is more suitably spent on the projects that we need to complete.

Horne: Yeah we could work on that.  We don't have full power to deploy but we could finish our working model.

Sirn: It would appear that your attention is needed here. ::He looked around at the busteling crews working:: With your permission Lieutenant, I will proceed to a...working holodeck and continue with the model. I shall send you regular updates as I make progress.

Horne: Are you sure?  I don't want you to feel like I'm dumping this on you.

Sirn: I am more concerned with your wellbeing Lieutenant. You can barely stand as it is. I believe I am more than capable of handling the models on my own. If I do need assistance, or have any questions I will not hesitate to seek help.

Horne: Ok well give me a few hours here and I will join you.  We're still waiting on materials for a lot of the repairs so I should be able to find time.

Sirn: Technically I am not even supposed to be in here yet, sir.

Horne: How so?

Sirn: ?

Horne: Oh I get it.  Well, your secret is safe with me.  In fact I have a hard time staying away from engineering when I'm not supposed to be here.

Sirn: ?

Horne: I feel comfortable here.  The work calms me down.  Keeps me occupied.  It's only recently that I've joined the crew for down time and even that hasn't been all that often.  ::Jacob briefly reflected on his time in Starfleet and aboard the Constitution::  You should make sure to find time to explore the starbase and get to know the rest of the crew.

Sirn: ?

Horne: I bet the starbase has something that would interest you.  Any hobbies?

Sirn: ?

Lieutenant Jacob Horne
Assistant Chief of Engineering
USS Constitution-B