Ensign Rachel Flores - Federation Fusion Cuisine

Anath G'Renn

May 16, 2022, 3:37:17 PM5/16/22
to sb118-con...@googlegroups.com

((The Saloon - Deck 10, USS Constitution-B))

Flores: Wow, you all run into a lot of space animals.

She’d be jealous if it didn’t seem like those majestic creatures had a bad habit of trying to kill them or their ship. Maybe it was best that her previous ships didn’t run into them.

Kincaid: Aye, I reckon that’s true. Wonder if we’re makin’ up fer a low quota or somethin’.

Flores: Have they ever considered putting a big magnifying glass or an arm with a rolled-up newspaper on the ship to try and ward off such things? Or maybe a really large net.

Kincaid: Not really, but seein’ as how we now know we can use parts of our ship as improvised weapons, I suppose we could do somethin’ like that. ::He grinned::

She was kidding, somewhat. But even the joking suggestion of adding some structure to the ship reminded her of the work still to be done keeping the ship’s original superstructure attached.

Flores: Well, let’s keep what’s currently part of the ship securely attached before we start adding new modifications. Mark my words, we’re gonna have to tear off the nacelle and put it back on. ::Rachel sighed and drained her glass.:: That’s probably the only way we’ll avoid fixing small fractures and loose connectors for the next six months.

After draining the last of her bourbon she set the glass down and stretched her neck.

Kincaid: Want a refill?

Flores: No thank you, at least not the real stuff. At this point might be best to switch over to synthehol. Had plenty already.

Kincaid: Fair enough. I ain’t never let anyone get too far with tha drinkin’ in here. ::He looked at her a moment:: How about some grub? Got some fresh made Bajoran Hasperat, Bolian Kelp salad and a Cardassian Gumbo ready ta go.

Cardassian Gumbo? A lot of culinary terminology was recycled for different but tangentially comparable dishes to give people a basis for comparison. Similar humanoid physiologies evolving on different planets was one thing. The cuisines of all those worlds all being interchangeably labeled with each other’s terminologies was different. At least it was a bit more informative than using the original names with no context.

Flores: Cardassian Gumbo… I can’t recall ever hearing of that recipe before. Is that a part of traditional Cardassian cuisine?

Kincaid: Well, as far as I know they ain’t. But I gots me an eclectic kitchen staff. They can make cultural dishes from pretty much anywhere in any quadrant. ::He leaned in:: But where they shine is when they mix things up. Make a cultural dish from one species, Human, in the case of the gumbo, but make it mostly with Cardassian ingredients. It’s a right amazing thing ta taste. Never thought I’d enjoy a Klingon Apple Cobbler but. ::He whistled to emphasize the perfection of the aforementioned dish::

Klingon food. That tended to conjure up mental images of serpent worms and freshly-extracted animal parts. Or meals that came live and had some assembly required. And apple cobbler was a warm, cinnamon and buttery slice of heaven. Combining those things… it had earned her curiosity. And Elias seemed to give it his seal of approval.

Flores: Klingon Apple Cobbler… You know, I think you’ve convinced me on the fusion cuisine specialization of your staff. That sounds like some really interesting dishes could result from it. I’m going to have to give some of it a try. ::Pause:: When I can find the time to come in when I’m not on duty.

Kincaid: Well, as I said. If’n ya want, send me a schedule fer yer duty shifts and yer preferences fer food and I’ll make sure ta keep ya fed while yer workin’.

That sounded good to her.

Flores: I’ll have to put that list together. As for preferences, a bit of everything would be great. Thank you for offering such a great service for us.

She was definitely going to have to take him up on the offer. Stopping to get food was one of the few things that could get her to leave engineering when there was work to be done. Now she could have food delivered.

Kincaid: Same, darlin’. ::He tipped his stetson by pulling down on the front of the brim:: Pleasure’s mine.

Flores: Once I get the chance I’ll send you my full schedule, but for the moment I have a shift in two and a half hours. Could I see a dinner menu?

Kincaid: Response

Rachel flipped through the menu, looking for something interesting she could schedule for delivery when it was time for dinner. After a minute she read through the “Vulcan Fusion” menu and considered the plomeek wrap. Plomeek usually brought to mind the flavorless broth or the Vulcan tea blend that came from the plant. But she was intrigued by the idea of using the crisp leaves of the plant to make a wrap. She was willing to give it a try.

Flores: Hmmmmm, a plomeek wrap? I’ll try that with shredded spicy chicken and tomatoes. I’ll most likely be in main engineering. Tell them to look for the engineer staring at a station near the warp core, inconsolable.

She cracked a smile, to indicate that she was joking. Mostly. Depending on if the nacelle acted up again.

Kincaid: Response

With her order finalized she passed the PADD back across the bar to Elias. She stood up and pushed in her barstool. She had a few things to take care of before her shift started and it was time to move on. Although she was glad to have found a new friend who reminded her of home a bit.

Flores: Thanks for the good company, Elias. See you later.

Kincaid: Response

After waving goodbye she pushed through the swinging saloon doors and walked down the hall to the turbolift. She was actually a bit hopeful that the upcoming shift would be a peaceful and productive one. And she was looking forward to sampling the Saloon’s delivery service.

Ensign Rachel Flores

Engineering Officer

USS Constitution-B

A239402AG0