Ensign Yirah - Symbiosis Commission

Zeno

Jan 12, 2024, 3:26:45 AMJan 12
to sb118-con...@googlegroups.com
((Castrum Hibernum Portum - Monkbel Foothills, Arentis))

Herren: Anyway, enough about the professional stuff. What about you personally? Are you from the homeworld or were you born elsewhere?

Yirah: I was born and raised on Trill. I'm from a small town called Heran’zul. ::he paused.:: In the Mayrn province.

Herren: Ah, I’ve never been to the province, but I’ve heard of it. There’s lots of ranching and livestock there, I think.

Indrid smiled and nodded.

Yirah: How about you? Where are you from?

Herren: Dorvan. I was technically born in Gheryzan but I lived in Dorvan my whole life.

Yirah: Isn't that near a ski resort? You must be really in your element here then huh?

Herren: That’s right. Several ski resorts, actually. That was how I spent a lot of winters and most of the rest of the year too, up on the slopes or ice skating and snowball fighting. Been doing a lot of teaching people how to winter properly.

He chuckled as he imagined Laria next to a Vulcan in earmuffs trying to teach them how to make a snowball.

Yirah: I hadn't thought about the fact that some people hadn't experienced weather like this before. You'd think they'd try it out on a holodeck or something just to know what it's like.

Herren: During the summers my cousin and I would go to Leran Manev and stay with our grandparents. That was a big change. Dorvan is pretty small. And most of the people there at any given time aren’t even permanent residents but guests who were there for the resorts or to work with the wildlife. Leran Manev is… not that.

Yirah: No it is not. ::he smiled:: I love the Leran Manev Old City. I went to the Najana Library to study a couple of times but I'd always end up distracted by all the crystals!

It really was one of the most awesome cities that he had seen, even as the city had grown over the years the citizens had done a good job of maintaining the past in what was called the "Old City." In that section of the city water channels flowed past buildings that had been built throughout different eras of Trill history, including the Najana Library which was made out of glass and crystal making it look like a jewel in the crown that was Leran Manev. It was enough to make an architect cry at its marvel, but Indrid was a scientist, so he hadn't.

Herren: Now here’s the real test of coincidence. Are you joined?

He nodded.

Yirah: I am the fifth host of Yirah.

Herren: ::She laughed:: We really have been collecting joined Trills here. You, Rodan, the commodore. I’m starting to worry that I might get turned down as an initiate if I don’t move ships. Three symbionts in one place. What are the odds?

oO I don't know who Rodan is but that's actually a really interesting question. Oo

Indrid didn't notice his eyes slowly shifting off to the side as he thought about the question.

Yirah: Statistics within a group of a population don't always match up with what one might expect. To use an example, the entire population of humans is 90% right-handed and 10% left-handed. So, it would be expected that that percentage would remain constant throughout any sample, however, if one takes a sample from a group of fencers, fencing the sport that is, a much higher percentage of left-handers is found. I imagine that it is similar for joined Trill in Starfleet. What traits Starfleet looks for in its officers and crew are similar to what the Commission looks for in its candidates, and Starfleet by its very nature is bound to provide a wealth of experiences for the symbiont which would be something that the Symbiosis Commission would surely take into consideration.

He blinked and realizing that he hadn't been looking at her, his gaze snapped back to Laria.

Herren: response

Yirah: Oh..sorry. It'll be a paper for another time I guess. Anyway, the Symbiosis Commission would be foolish to turn you down just because there are already some joined Trills on the Conny. ::he smiled reassuringly::

Herren: response

Yirah: I've only been joined to Yirah for a little over two months now.

Herren: response

Yirah: Yeah, it's been interesting. I can't remember my own name sometimes, but it's good... it is good... Anyway, how have things been for you with the Commission? Did you just start the process or have you been a candidate awhile?

Herren: response

--
Ensign Indrid Yirah
Science Officer