PNPC Ens. Siance Thyar - Rules of the mind

1 view

Jessica

Feb 5, 2023, 11:44:04 PM2/5/23
to IC Conny

(( Counseling Offices ))

Siance was surprised to hear that. After all Betazoids had their whole honor code about not reading minds without permission and not being intrusive. But then from other telepathic colleagues she had heard that one couldn't always avoid hearing something, especially when a thought came suddenly and strong. Klingons' minds were strong by default. Headstrong could be a quite strong definition in this case. And fitting. On the other hand they also had been children. Children couldn't control their telepathy not like adults could, that was why they needed training.

Thyar: Children can at times act out like that even in other parts of the galaxy. It's a time when they try to figure out who they are and where they belong. Of course that doesn't make it easier to deal with especially on top with everything else.

Stapledon:  Really?

Thyar: Really. That doesn't mean it isn't a struggle. You mentioned it being the worst part. How did their conflict affect you?

Stapledon: I think...  I guess...  I felt like I didn't have any privacy.  Because the betazoids liked to lord it over everybody else like they knew what we were all thinking.  And it could get vicious sometimes.  You know, having your thoughts broadcast for everybody to hear.  So I guess I got fairly good at hiding my thoughts.  Like I had to be on guard about who was nearby when I thought about certain topics.

Siance could understand that. While living with Betazoids and other telepaths had become normal she remembered when she herself had been reluctant to deal with them, worried they would know what she thought, her deep secrets and what not. In a way it was a natural worry, but in some cases it crew to an actual fear with a lasting lingering reluctance and even prejudices and in some bad cases bigotry. When working in Starfleet the latter could lead to a lot more problems. In other cases it was something that could be worked at.

Thyar: When you graduated or after you left has that continued or is it something you left behind?

Stapledon: ::Sighing::  Some of it.  Hm...  I think I still feel a weird anxiety sometimes.

Leaning forward, Siance place her cup on the table and turned her attention back to Kim.

Thyar: In what way?

Stapledon: Like if I think about something strange in a gathering with lots of people...  Will one of them turn out to be Betazoid and pick up on it?  I mean I know Betazoids are supposed to have their own ethics about that sort of stuff but still...  They could do it.

Thyar: ::nodding slightly:: Knowing that they have the ability to do that keeps the thought in your mind. ::She summarized the comment.:: On the other hand because they could, does not necessarily mean that they do it. ::She suggested.::

Stapledon:  Well..  And that's the thing.  It was just a few Betazoid girls doing it.  Rationally I know it makes no sense for me to worry about Betazoids reading my mind and it probably isn't healthy.  And it is slowly going away.  I was in the academy with Betazoids and my mind wandered tonnes of times.  None of them stood up and mentioned anything I was thinking.  But still, there was the occasional time I'd see a look or someone turning and whispering after looking at me.  The usual random social gestures.  And I'd have a brief moment of anxiety again.  Did I think something strange?  Do they know about some deep dark secret about me?

Thyar: I understand and I want you to know that these are normal thoughts, they happen to most of us. After all, most non telepathic species never have to worry about a possible intrusion of our privacy in that way.

Stapledon: response

Thyar: Yes, there is a certain set of rules, a codex of behaviour for many telepathic species on how to use or not use their telepathy with non telepaths, but it is neither universal, nor is the skill itself fully trained at birth. It often develops later and has to be trained to be controled. And of course there are outliers, who choose not to follow it. That makes things difficult and relies a lot on trust between people. With an experience like yours that trust is a lot harder to rebuild.

Stapledon: response

Thyar: ::Smiling:: Yes that it has gotten better in time is a good sign. ::She paused and considered.:: How do you feel about working with telepaths instead of merely passing them in the Academy? As you can imagine we do have a number of them on board.

Stapledon: response

-----
Ensign Siance Thyar
Counseling Officer