PNPC Lt. Commander Anath G'Renn - Defense as Offense

Anath G'Renn

May 19, 2022, 11:33:03 PM5/19/22
to sb118-con...@googlegroups.com

((Gymnasium - Deck 12, USS Constitution-B))

Mok’bara was a moving meditation for her. Normally she went through her forms slowly, then sped them up bit by bit with each repetition. By the time she was at full speed she was in her own mind and letting herself be carried by years of muscle memory. Sometimes, especially in her angrier moments, the  Klingon martial art was more calming for her than her usual Vulcan meditation techniques. Not to say she had never had to apply the techniques in combat.

G'Renn: I apologize that we never got to complete out conversation at T’Keck’s. I got called away by work and work never stopped calling.

When the two had last met, they had visited the Vulcan restaurant on Starbase 104 and had a lovely conversation. They had shared their experiences as unconventional Klingons and their views on Vulcan logic, Klingon honor, and more. It was a very intriguing discussion, but one that ended quite abruptly when she was called to sickbay for an emergency. And her medical work hadn’t gotten any less hectic, especially with the multiple trips she had to take away from the ship for meetings on different worlds. She was glad to be back on the ship and was hopefully there to stay for a good while.

Kvash: The downside to being in medical. What happened?

G'Renn: Three medical conferences, giving a presentation to Starfleet Medical, and just recently moving my husband and nephew in here on the Conny. Things have kept me busy, you?

Kvash: Working on my paper on the impact of tourism on resorts and recreational papers. Especially looking at places other than Risa. Plus the normal ship duties, although those have been quiet of late.

As they spoke, Anath continued stretching to warm up. If they were going to spar she would need to be at her best.

G'Renn: I’m almost warmed up if you are ready as well.

Kvash: Weapons, unarmed, or one of each?

Sparring with weapons was not a good idea. But Anath wasn’t about to shirk the challenge. Proving that she was Klingon was a frequent sore spot. She was not about to admit that she was too scared or inexperienced to partake in the kind of practice combat that even Klingon children took part in. Her own sense of Klingon honor would not stand for that.

G'Renn: …one of each is fine.

That really was a very bad, no good idea. She was going to be very sore after being hit with the practice bat’leth over and over. At least they weren’t going to be using the real thing.

Kvash: Let's start with weapons.

Thankfully, Kvash had brought a second practice bat’leth with her. Anath only had her dagger, and it was safely locked in her quarters. Not on her person.

G'Renn: Alright then. ::Anath stretched and picked up the practice blade.:: Let’s get this show on the road. I doubt it’ll take too long.

Kvash: :: grinning:: I'll let you beat me up afterwards, then we'll be even.

Anath picked up the practice bat’leth and gave it a few test swings to see how it was balanced. Her grip required a bit of adjustment as well. It had been too long since she’d wielded the iconic war blade of the Klingons. Once she was satisfied with the weapon she turned to face Kvash. Out of the corner of her eye she saw other crewmembers in the gym watching. As if she wasn’t anxious enough sparring against a superior opponent. Now she had an audience.

G'Renn: Ready.

With that, she adopted a defensive stance and started circling around the mat. Kvash could make the first move, and control the flow of combat. Anath would watch and decide if and when to make her own move.

Kvash: Response

When she fought with Jolash, Anath quickly learned that outsparring her sister was not an option. Jolash was just as strong as she was and kept in much better practice. But Jolash was bigger and slower than her. So she evaded. She focused on keeping her guard up and deflecting blows rather than making them. And even if it never ended with a victory, it had been enough to get inside Jolash’s guard and score the occasional hit. The same strategy could pay dividends against Kvash.

She continued circling, meeting experimental jabs with blocks. Each clash of steel threatened to be the last. If there was a sudden change-up or follow-up swing that she didn’t anticipate it would be over. Throughout she continued to circle, thrusting the bat’leth forward to clear her path as needed and to try and throw the scientist off-guard.

G'Renn: I’ve never won one of these matches with weapons, but I have gotten to learn from a lot of losing.

Kvash: Response

G'Renn: There’s no shame in losing to a superior opponent. Honor comes from the performance of the combatants and the dedication with which they fight. Dying in combat can be the most honorable thing a Klingon can do.

If she could at least acquit herself admirably, that was enough to consider honor satisfied. Should she win, that was all the better. Just as important was proving that she could do it at all. And prove that she would.

Kvash: Response

Lieutenant Commander Anath G'Renn, M.D.

Medical Officer

USS Constitution-B