Lieutenant Jacob Horne - Marching Orders

Jeff Newell

May 3, 2021, 4:55:45 PM5/3/21
to sb118-con...@googlegroups.com
(( Battle Bridge, Deck 8, USS Constitution-B ))

The situation was getting more intense by the second.  The two Constitution sections were backing away, trying their best to peaceably force the hand of the Theseus and her crew into giving up and allowing themselves to be transported to safety.

Foster: Before you ask, yes we will just barely make it to safe range before that thing blows.  The saucer section sustained less damage and has full mobility.  They’ll make it unless they linger.

Saveron: Acceptable. We are not in a favourable position to offer transporter functionality at this time. ::They were too damaged and most of the transporters were in the saucer section.:: It is preferable that we preserve our structural integrity and personnel.

Horne: =/\= Horne to Sirn =/\=

The Lieutenant's voice came over the comm, lifting some of the weight that Sirn was feeling on him. He had been concerned for the crew aboard the star drive after they had taken so much damage. Every familiar voice that came through helped him keep his focus.

Sirn: =/\= Yes Lieutenant. =/\=

Horne: =/\= Going off a hunch here.  Sending you something I want you to look at =/\=

Sirn looked over the data as it scrolled across his screen. The calculations and variables all contained within the information.

Sirn: =/\= Interesting. =/\=

Horne: =/\= If I'm right we're going to be busy transporting lifeforms off of the Theseus shortly and we're going to need to figure out how to do it without overloading the transporter system.  What do you think? =/\=

Sirn: =/\= I do believe that this would do exceptionally well in distributing the load between sections. I shall begin implementing it on this side. =/\=

Horne: =/\= Great.  Something to keep in mind if the situation calls for.  Horne out. =/\=

Jacob cut the conversation short, probably a little quicker than he should have and maybe even coming across as rude which was not his intention.  His mind was already racing back to repairing damaged systems and trying to prevent further decay of the stardrive section.

Lystra: Sir, they’ve got about a minute left before that ship goes up in a warp breach.

Saveron: Noted. Do what we can to prepare the Stardrive for impact.

Horne: Impact?  Really not a good idea right now.

Jacob knew they didn't have much of a choice in the matter.

Foster: We’re still on tactical retreat, to the best of our ability.

Lystra: We should already be at a safe distance. But the Saucer section is moving slow enough to give them time to make a decision. I still advise we keep moving, our shields are still down and we definitely couldn’t take a hit from a breach.

Saveron: With our condition and the impending explosion, no proximal position is safe. But greater distance will reduce the impact.

Horne: Yes.  With the shields the way they are if you think we're far enough away...well we're not.  What about the pirates?

Foster: We can’t rescue them.  We’re going to get rocked no matter what, but it will be the difference between the sort of rocked that gives everyone some bruises or the sort of rocked that rips another dozen hull breaches.  I’m going to keep putting distance between us unless ordered otherwise.

Saveron: No orders to the contrary. Continue to do so.

Horne: Good.  Good.  More distance.

Jacob was rambling now.  His mind was going in a million directions.  More distance between them and the Theseus meant reduced effects from the impending shockwave but also meant Jacob would have just a few precious seconds more to try and figure out a way to keep the section safe.

Lystra: Updated damage reports coming in sir. Using the deflector dish like we did burned out power conduits on four decks. Our starboard phaser array will be offline for an extended period. ::She took a breath:: Casualties as well. Two more dead, but it looks like that beaming Georgio, Mark and Barr to the hull breach was a good idea. Rescue efforts are well under way.

Foster: Good job, triage.  ::He said quietly, proudly.::

Horner: Doing everything we can to get even minimal shield coverage.  Three different field repairs crews have been dispatched to start repairing relays so we can reroute power through less damaged power conduits.  I'm cycling power to a few others hoping a simple restart will do the trick.

Everyone was doing everything they could.  The silence of their work was broken by a call from the Theseus.

Fuse: =/\= Theseus to Constitution. You win. Five souls ready for transport. =/\=

Only five?  Better than nothing but a pit formed in Jacob's stomach as he tried not to think about how many more were staying behind.

Saveron: The Saucer is initiating transport. Continue our retreat at maximum safe impulse.

If it was just five and the saucer section was handling transporter duties Jacob could focus his efforts 100% on shields and trying to keep their section safe from the impending explosion.

Lystra: Thirty seconds until that ship blows. I suggest we get out of here at full impulse. I’m diverting all power from the weapon systems to the impulse engines. Cade, you’ve got everything we can spare from my end. ::She looked to Jacob::

Foster: Suggestion noted.

Saveron: Do what you can, Cade.

Horne: Shields still offline but fingers crossed.  Crews are working as fast as they can.

Foster: Put the extra power towards hull integrity fields.  That’s what’s hampering us now.  We go as fast as we can without shaking the ship apart.

Lystra: Three..

Foster: Make everyone brace for impact.  We’ll survive this, but it will rock us.

Saveron: All hands, brace for impact.

Horne: Beefing up power to hull integrity fields.

Lystra: Two…

Foster: Saucer section is out of range.  She’s past us now, all we have to do is hold on…

Saveron: Brace. oO And hope. Oo

Horne: That's all we've got.  Hope it's enough.

Jacob gripped the console in front of him so hard that his knuckles turned white.  He leaned up against it as well, pressing his body into it as hard as he could to hopefully avoid being thrown about by the shockwave that everyone knew was coming.

Lystra: One!

The viewscreen dimmed as the ship exploded.

The flash was beyond intense.  And the shockwave that followed rolled through the ship like an earthquake.  The ship swayed and danced violently about in the nebula.  She cried out for help as the shockwave tried to tear the ship apart as it expanded outward from the point of explosion.  She had already lost a nacelle and now this?

Portions of the ceiling gave way, exposing the Constitution's insides.  Wires and cables hung down emitting sparks and smoke.  Anything that wasn't nailed down flew about as the ship rode out the events.

Fate was kicking the stardrive while it was down.

Foster: Is everyone alright?

Saveron: Affirmative.

Jacob released his grip and patted himself down to make sure that everything was still there and in one piece.  A few bumps and bruises but he couldn't complain all things considered.

Horne: I, uh, I think so.

Lystra: Still getting reports from across the Stardrive. ::He paused and quickly read through what she saw::

Foster: Well, the good news is, we have no new hull breaches.  The bad news is… we are going nowhere fast.

Lystra: Tactical systems still offline. ::her console updated and she scowled:: More casualties, reported sir. Thirty two wounded. And there’s a plasma fire in Cybernetics lab two on deck twelve. And Shuttle bay three is reporting that one of the type eleven shuttles suffered some minor structural damage after being dislodged from her birth. ::She quickly looked up and added:: Damage control and medical teams are already on it.

Saveron: Then they will be managed. Given our condition that constitutes minimal additional damage, and is acceptable.

Horne: Hull integrity holding steady.  We should be good for a bit while we attempt repairs.

Foster: Time to put out a distress call to Starfleet and lick our wounds I would say.

It sounded like a great plan to Jacob.  The ship was hurting and in need of assistance.

Lystra: Sir, I suggest we wait on the distress call for a moment.

oO Wait, what? Oo

Saveron: Your logic?

Horne: We could really use the help.

Lystra: Because, we have to ask why were the Theseus and Minotaur here in the first place. They aren’t the scientific sort.

Saveron: Then, given our knowledge of the region, there is only one other logical focus for their attention. The Dilithium mine.

Horne: You think they had something to do with the diminished outputs?  Like, stealing the dilithium?

Foster: ?

Lystra: Our away team could be in danger. I advise we send as many security teams as we can spare and have shuttles for, to the mine. At best, there’s nothing wrong and they just waste a trip and give the miners a slight panic attack.

Saveron: There are only three entry points for the mine, one of which will be occupied by our earlier shuttle.

Foster: ?

Horne: Does the Syndicate have any history being involved in this type of activity?

Lystra: It would explain why the mine has become inefficient recently. But if there are pirates there, anyone we send should do so cautiously. Last thing we’d want is a massacre or hostage situation.

Saveron: Correct. We may already have a hostage situation, and not know it.

Saveron: Cade, Ensign Poe is unconscious.

Foster: ?

Horne: Let me know if I can help, Doctor.

Saveron: =/\= Saveron here, go ahead.  =/\=

Rajel: =/\= How is the Stardrive holding up? Is anyone hurt? =/\=

Saveron: =/\= Affirmative. At current count we have thirty-two wounded and five dead. We are without impulse power or shields. Life support systems are on minimal necessary,  a number of crew are unaccounted for, and one of the Type 11 shuttles is damaged. And a Cybernetics lab is on fire. =/\=

That was a lot to take in.  Being in the moment it felt like a lot but hearing it all laid out in such a matter of fact way really put into perspective just how hurt the ship was.  They were lucky to have survived the battle and it was going to take a little bit of luck mixed in with Starfleet work ethic to make it base to Starbase 104.

Saveron: =/\= However all situations are being managed. What is the status of the Saucer section? =/\=

Rajel: =/\= From the looks we are okay, shaken but unhurt. At least on the bridge. We have a bunch of reports from all over the section, but are working on it. =/\=

Saveron: =/\= Then neither half is in condition for further confrontation, though one would hazard that the saucer has fared the better of the two, which is preferable given the number of personnel. Were we in a position to do so, I would recommend primary personnel stand down and rest. =/\=

Rajel: =/\= I'll take you up on that later, but now I think we have to get our people back. Do we see it correctly that your shields are down? =/\=

Saveron: =/\= Affirmative. =/\=

Rajel: =/\= Sirn, Jacob, is it possible to expand our shields to cover the starboard section as well so we can move through the nebula to the mine and after that to the station? =/\=

Horne: =/\= Theoretically yes it's possible to expand the diameter of the shields but in our current state I'm not sure if we'd be able to do it. =/\=

Sirn: =/\= response =/\=

Saveron: =/\= Engineering is working on restoring our shields and engines, but it will take time. If we were to re-join the Stardrive and Saucer sections, we could utilise the Saucer’s shields and impulse engines. =/\=

Rajel: =/\= I don't think the computer is able to do an automatic joining right now and manual takes time, we have people in a mine packed with pirates. I'd rather not have to wait. =/\=

Any: =/\= response =/\=

Saveron: =/\= I concur. Additionally, given that the nebula blocks sensors and communications, the mine’s powerful communications relay is our best option for contacting Starfleet regarding our situation. =/\=

Rajel: =/\= Response =/\=

Any: =/\= response =/\=

Saveron: =/\= Understood. I will initiate preparations here and we will meet you at the mine. =/\=

Rajel: =/\= Response =/\=

Any: =/\= response =/\=

Saveron: Commander Mason is down as well.

Foster/Lystra: ?

Horne: Ship is damaged and we're down personnel but we are not giving up.  What's the next step?

Saveron: Our next target is clear; the Dilithium Mine.

He had been so caught up in the battle that he had forgotten about the away team for the last few minutes.

Horne: Right!  Do you think the away team is ok?

Foster/Lystra: ?

Saveron: Cade, how are Poe and Mason?

Foster: ?

Saveron: Once they are stabilised, please acquire a field medical kit. You will be our medic.

Foster: ?

Saveron: Jacob, confer with the Chief Engineer to organise repairs, and order the shuttles prepped for departure. We will use the shuttles to reach the mine; auxiliary crew can bring the Stardrive when her impulse engines are repaired. And obtain a field engineer’s kit.

Jacob nodded as the direction.

Horne: Yes sir.  I'll head down to engineering and work with the Chief to start organizing repair teams based on most urgent needs.

Saveron: The Chief can manage the repairs. We may have need of your expertise inside the mine.

Horne: Oh.  Right.

Jacob was afraid of that.

Saveron: Lystra, I require parties of Security Personnel to prepare to transfer to the mine and meet us in Shuttle Bay 2. Leave sufficient to defend the Stardrive if necessary, but we need as many as possible.

Lystra: ?

Saveron: Once you have done so, accompany me to the armory.

Lystra: ?

Saveron: Cade, Jacob, I will meet you in the shuttle bay.

Horne: Yes sir.

Foster/Lystra: ?

Saveron and Lystra disappeared to begin their own preparations for the next phase of the mission.

Horne: Ok I'm going to head down to engineering and at least help get the teams organized.  Do you want some help getting Poe and Sarah down the sickbay before I go?

Foster: ?

Horne: Should be enough power to make the transport if you would prefer.

Foster: ?

-tag/tbc-

Lieutenant Jacob Horne
Assistant Chief of Engineering