Lt Lazarus Davis - smitten by insight

1 view

Josh Davis

May 17, 2022, 7:53:37 PM5/17/22
to sb118-con...@googlegroups.com
(( The Space, Starbase 104, Several Days After Arrival ))

Lazarus wondered if the very notion of fantasizing about struggle and suffering was obscene to someone that had experienced it firsthand.

Queen: Simple is calm... I see.

Davis: Does that change your opinion of us?

The Linara tilted her head in that curious manner that was her own. Her eyes were on Lazarus, presuming her gaze was forward through the goggles.

Queen: It is curious. A little confusing, but does not change my opinion.

Davis: I'm curious to hear your thoughts, if you care to share.

Queen: The Federation still feels opulent and wasteful to me, but I also start to realize that many things that look like this is less wasteful than it seems. Replication matter, recycling of not needed objects are useful and efficient, you do not simply discard broken things but try to fix them first. It took them a lot of time and hard work to get to this point.

She was, of course, completely right. The opulence is the product of communal effort. It was quite literally earned--collectively, and ongoing.

By the end of her thought, his focus was wavering because of how smitten he was by her insightfulness and analysis. He especially enjoyed this side of her. She was a fundamentally curious person, studiously observant, and interested in how things and ideas relate to each other. The more they opened up to each other, the more he got to see these qualities in her.

Davis: You're reminding me of one of the few good things I ever heard from my father: "Not every stem bolt is self-sealing." Everything we have is a product of labor, and without labor nothing gets done.

She lowered the basket full of food to her side and stepped to Lazarus, to take his hand. Despite her rarely changing facial expression a hint of warmth swung in her words.

Queen: I realize that my view comes from growing up in a society that is vastly different, and it took me these last two years to come to the conclusion that just because it looks like that, does not mean it's true. In my time here you have taught me a lot, Lazarus. The mere enjoyment of boats on water does not change that.

Davis: I'm glad, and grateful to hear you say that. I have and continue to learn much from you, too.

Queen: If you want we can talk about it later, but I believe that we have plans to join the boat. Shall we?

Davis: Good point. I guess I got lost in conversation.

A short way through the water and they were at the boat, ready to climb aboard. Romance for the days of sail aside, but couldn't have Ed lashed the boats to the pier at least? Ah well. He'd dry soon.

Flores was readying the boat. Doing... boat things. Probably something with the pulleys? Lazarus didn't know much about sailboats. The jargon was amusing, though, and he liked to make his own up. "Raise the crow's nest and cut the jib! Oar's up, and we're trawling anchor."

Flores: Welcome aboard!

Queen: How do I get on this thing?

That was a great question. No ladder... It was big enough that it didn't look like they'd tip it over by climbing in. At least he sure hoped so!

Davis: Uhhh... You step up and in, then I'll follow, I guess? You can use my hand to stabilize.

He extended his right hand with the palm up and at the side of the boat, elevated high enough that she could use it for additional stability.

Any: Response(s)

Flores: Grab a seat and help yourself to anything you’d like from the picnic basket.

Queen placed the basket on the boat and holding onto Lazarus' hand she put a foot on the boat, then with some balancing climbed inside.

Davis: Nicely done. Ok...

It wasn't a high step into the boat, but it was also a boat. He was cautious and took his time. Once on board,

Queen: This is about as unstable as the gas diver, just without a safety line. ::Realising that sounded oddly negative when seen from a mind not her own she looked up to Davis.:: That is a positive thing.

Davis: :: Laughing :: I'll take your word for it. I think this will be a lot of fun.

He followed her to their seats, and took his place beside her.

Any: Response(s)

——
Lieutenant Lazarus Davis
Chief Science Officer
USS Constitution-B
IDIC team member
ASDB team member
C239510LD0
(he/him, character)
(they/them, writer)

“I wanted to prove the sustaining power of music.” – David Bowie