Lt Lazarus Davis - music, sweet music

Davis, Joshua Lazarus

Aug 1, 2021, 5:23:55 PM8/1/21
to sb118-con...@googlegroups.com
((Corridor - Deck 10, USS Constitution-B))

G’Renn: Are you fond of music?

Lazarus turned to face her as they walked, with a big goofy grin on his face.

Davis: Oh, yes. :: To put it mildly. :: I take it you are too?

G’Renn: I enjoy listening to music, and my sister-in-law has introduced me to a lot of new music. I tried my hand at learning to play the lyre when I was in school, but my voice is the only instrument I can play effectively. That’s usually the kind of musical holoprograms I enjoy. I can perform the part of Maylota entirely from memory.

Davis: Ah! That’s wonderful. I’m classically trained in voice myself… though, I don’t use it much anymore. I mostly enjoy fiddling with songwriting and composing these days.

The pair of them arrived at the orange holodeck doors. Anath removed the cover beneath the holodeck control panel and inserted the isolinear chip containing the recording into one of the empty memory slots.

G’Renn: Computer, load recording Jalanda City Orchestra SD 239807.15 and format as a normal holoprogram.

Computer: Program formatted and running. Enter when ready.

She removed the isolinear chip and replaced the cover as the holodeck doors parted.

G’Renn: After you.

Davis: :: nodding politely :: Thank you.

Once he had walked through the doors she followed, going from starship corridor to concert hall in a single step.

((Secondary Holodeck Two - Deck 10, USS Constitution-B))

The holorecording had set them up in a private box overlooking the stage. The concert hall was  a mix of old and new influences. The basic layout resembled Terran theatres and lots of attention had been given to the ornate details of the ceiling and the relief artwork that bordered the stage itself. But there were also modern design influences like the acoustic foam panels that covered a majority of the walls in an interlocking pattern. Two rows of three chairs in the box provided a place to sit.

On stage, several Bajoran musicians were preparing their instruments. Faculty members and students were in the main seating area. Overall, it was an exquisite space. The room was rich with a complex, almost living reverberation. The early reflections gave the strings and brass incredible body, and the tail gave percussion a slight, but notable, gravitas.

G’Renn: I believe this is the main concert hall of the Aldebaran Music Academy. Although it might be one of their other venues. I’ve never actually been myself but I imagine they have more than one performance venue.

Davis: The others have a lot to live up to, then. This is a gorgeous space. So, you said you’re an operatic singer? You mentioned Maylota. What else do you like to sing?

G’Renn: ?

Davis: Incredible. If memory serves, there are some complicated runs in that score.

G’Renn: ?

Davis: No, I never even tried it. I just can’t fathom being able to project like that.

The other factor was that he had heard so few operas that had parts in his range. Opera scores tend to enjoy pushing the envelope in the upper register, and he had a relatively deep voice.

G’Renn: ?

——
Lieutenant Lazarus Davis
Chief Science Officer
USS Constitution-B
Podcast Team Facilitator
IDIC team member
ASDB team member
C239510LD0
(he/him, character)
(they/them, writer)

“I wanted to prove the sustaining power of music.” – David Bowie