Ensign Yirah - Aviary

Zeno

Jan 26, 2024, 3:32:51 PMJan 26
to sb118-con...@googlegroups.com
(( Avling Lakes - Loop Trail ))

While out on the snowshoe trail, Kvash and Indrid began speaking about the herding animals from their homeworlds.

Kvash: I have a cousin who breeds high quality herding targh. I actually grew up with them. He gives away the ones that are too lazy as pets.

Yirah: Wow! That's cool!

Kvash: They're lovely animals, but I don't feel large targh belong on starships. The smaller breeds, sure, but these are up to your waist.

Yirah: Are they known to be aggressive?

Kvash: No, but they might try to herd you. They used to herd me when I was a little kid, it was hilarious.

Indrid chuckled at the thought of a targh pushing a younger Kvash around.

Yirah: I've heard stories of Earth dogs doing something similar.

Kvash: But I think Trill are the only species I know of that uses birds for herding. I'm wondering about the cultural implications.

Yirah: Well, I suppose one would be that we have large aviaries to house them in.

Kvash: ?

Yirah: They don't usually fly too far from home. But still you don't want them to be getting injured; they aren't wild after all.

Kvash: ?

Yirah: The town I come from actually would have an annual competition with the neighboring town. The birds and trainers would compete in different events, and everyone would vote on their favorite aviary.

Kvash: ?
--
Ensign Indrid Yirah
Science Officer