Lt. Lazarus Davis - let's try this out

1 view

Davis, Joshua Lazarus

Jul 30, 2021, 5:50:58 PM7/30/21
to sb118-con...@googlegroups.com
(( Quarters Lazarus / Queen - Queen's Room ))

Lazarus was reclining on the couch, reading an essay on a unique chromosomal structure found on some far-flung world. Typically chromosomes are single strings of information and more or less read end-to-end. The chromosomes discussed therein appear to have a 3D structure, of two stacked strings. Not only did the information on the string matter, but the positional information (top string/ bottom string) of the datum, was important on accurately “reading” the encoded information. Kind of an interesting system, far more complex; and creatures with such genetic structures would likely experience radically unpredictable responses to viruses and prions derived from the typical “2D” chromosomal structure. They’d also potentially be a breeding ground to create superbugs. And we have no idea about how their viruses or prions would effect us.

Good thing they were on a far-flung planet. Lazarus made a note to keep an eye on this research. He found it incredible to think that, for all they’d explored and experienced… the “known” galaxy was still an incredibly small and crudely-understood thing. Exploring the physical frontier may not end up being the actual *final* frontier, but it certainly was an effectively infinite one. Even the most optimistic estimates suggest about a hundred thousand years from today to explore even just the Milky Way. No one reputable is naive enough to even put forth a projection for exploring the universe.

And that, right there, was the beauty of it all: endless wonder, endless possibility. New ways of thinking, feeling, acting… *being.*

The door to Queen’s room, over his left shoulder, swished open. As she stepped from the dark into the light - with surprisingly little jingling sounds - their eyes met and she stopped in her tracks.

Davis: :: standing to greet her; happy, slightly concerned, affirming :: Hey! You look great.

Queen: Is this appropriate?

He could feel the heat emanating from his ears after thinking to himself, “In so many ways!"

Davis: Absolutely.

Queen: Good. You ::She paused looking at him, and looking him over.:: you look nice. .oO(Nice? Come on!)Oo.

He hoped his attire met her approval: a flat-collared shirt with a stylized image of a sunset on Earth, with a red-orange, purple, pink, and a light blue-grey color palate; tapered but comfortable sandstone-colored linen pants cuffed at the ankle; and a pair of red-orange casual sneakers. His left wrist sported a brushed brass digital timepiece with simple, unobtrusive lines. His hair was approaching time-for-a-haircut length, which meant it was looking its best, presuming one liked messy blond-auburn curls.

She looked like she was going to play in a metal band in front of a crowd of thousands. He looked like he was ready to walk through trendy art galleries. What a pairing–truly. He liked the incongruences. She was a whole person, with her own tastes that she explored in the ways that she wanted to, regardless of what others were doing. She was determined to do the hardest thing possible: be herself, fully and in every way.

Her attire was attractive, and certainly she was too; but it was the content of her character and how she interacted with the world that made her hot.

“Nice” could read, to an outsider, as underwhelming. He knew better–she was seemingly allergic to hyperbole or puffery. She gave him a compliment, and he took it as such.

Davis: Thank you, Queen. :: with a chuckle :: So do you! Are you ready to try sushi?

Queen: ::moving her head from side to side:: I am ready.

Davis: Great. :: He checked his timepiece :: We’ll have plenty of time to walk casually to the restaurant.

He offered her his arm by way of doing a sort of gentle one-winged flapping bird motion. Surely this would translate across cultural boundaries easily, he was apparently subconsciously thinking; whilst forgetting that it was more or less totally out of fashion in his own culture.

Queen: ?

Davis: Oh! Would like to you take my arm as we walk?

Queen: ?

Davis: Ah.. Ha, no sorry. I didn’t exactly make that easy on you. If I hold my arm like this :: again, his left arm jutted out, bent at the elbow :: you could put your right arm through there. Thisi s harder to explain than I realized. Can I just show you?

He indicated toward her right arm.

Queen: ?

——
Lieutenant Lazarus Davis
Chief Science Officer
USS Constitution-B
Podcast Team Facilitator
IDIC team member
ASDB team member
C239510LD0
(he/him, character)
(they/them, writer)

“I wanted to prove the sustaining power of music.” – David Bowie