Ensign Pholin Duyzer: All Day, Every Day (Dehner Base)

Pholin Duyzer

Dec 18, 2018, 3:08:43 PM12/18/18
to sb118-c...@googlegroups.com
((Recreation Wing - Dehner Base))
((Time index: After base tour.))

:: Pholin started to see that the Betazoid felt nervous around him. Pholin tried to act more casual around him, unsure how he would make him more comfortable. ::

Duyzer: I'm guessing there's a story behind it?

Lor: My father is very... disconnected, I guess you could say, for a Betazoid. My mother was always too busy in her Starfleet career to teach my brother and me about our people's culture; him and I grew up on Earth. However, I was born on Earth. My parents and Joren, my brother, are all originally from Betazed. We're a pretty untraditional Betazoid family.

Duyzer: Then it makes sense you're so into Earth history, right? I think it's pretty cool!

:: Pholin was trying to skip the stones that were laying on the ground on the fountain in front of them but lacked the skills to do it. ::

Lor: How about you? Hobbies? Family? Like you said "work can't be the only thing." ::he smirked::

Duyzer: Nono, for me it's different. Work is my hobby.

:: He did spend most of his "free-time" on work, but calling it a hobby would go far. ::

Duyzer: But for real, I like myself some nature and hikes ::pause:: as long as there isn't any water involved, of course. ::chuckling::

Lor: Hm. Yeah. I guess you won't be visiting any ocean planets. ::he have a soft chuckle:: What about family?

Duyzer: Yes, I am married ::pause:: twice. And two lovely little, well not so little anymore, daughters.

:: Saying his daughters weren't little anymore hurt. It was just yesterday he held his new-born daughters in his hands and now they're all off-world. ::

Lor: How old are they?

Duyzer: Twenty-two and twenty. All grown up. My oldest daughter is becoming a doctor, and my little one wants to pilot one of those quantum slipstream taxi ships.

:: Yes, he said that right. They were twenty-two and twenty YEARS old. No weeks, no months, years. His children were no children anymore. He looked away from Saden trying to hide his response. He saw some scientists taking soil samples, which made Pholin doubt whether or not this park was meant for recreation. He looked back at Saden so they could continue. ::

Lor: Good on your oldest. What field of medicine does she want to study?

Duyzer: She's just begun to specialize in psychological disorders. ::smiling:: She can talk about it for hours, and explain it in such a way still nobody understands it. ::pause:: It's fascinating.

Lor: Is she wanting to do it for Starfleet?

:: He and Lalun had had many, many discussions about that. Pholin didn't mind that Lalun wanted to study someplace else, but the woman was completely anti-Starfleet. ::

Duyzer: ::thinking how to put it:: Many Denobulans are still very anti-Federation, and thus anti-Starfleet. My wife and I loved the fact that we joined in the '80s, seeing all the benefits. But somehow, Lalun has grown up completely anti-Federation.

:: Pholin seemed to be seeing a trend in the younger generation, who hated the fact that they had to learn Federation Standard. Maybe Denobulans just had some xenophobic tendencies, Pholin did not know. ::

Duyzer: What made you go to Starfleet as a place to be a doctor?

Lor: I didn't start in Starfleet. Essentially, I was a "frontier doc" and worked on a station on the other side of the Federation border. We had to close down shop though because some of the planets joined the Federation, expanding its border. More or less, or work there was done.

Duyzer: Very interesting! That must have been hard work...

:: The brown-haired man gave a nod before showing a visually confused face. ::

Lor: Now what about your youngest... she wants to pilot a slipstream taxi? Does that involve escorting VIP-types? Or just helping anyone travel across the galaxy?

Duyzer: It's on one of those commercial quantum slipstream service. I believe she is currently in training at the ... uhm. I believe they're called "Alpha Starlines" but don't quote me on that.

Lor: ?

:: That was one of the first things Pholin thought about too when she said she wanted to do that kind of work. When thousands of passengers aboard a ship suffer a near-disastrous failure word gets around. Suva eventually managed to persuade Pholin and Hana, somehow. ::

Duyzer: Yeah, I think it was the SS Atlantic. Well, all those companies claimed to have upped their security and training routines. ::pause:: Suva has been in training for about two years and still isn't flying one of those ships.

Lor: ?

Duyzer: Yeah, they seemed to find their path pretty quickly. They're both loving it. ::pause:: It took me some longer to find my place...

:: He still saw his years of sitting in an office every day as wasted years. Well, until the Federation-Denobula collaboration started, anyways. ::

Lor: ?

Duyzer: Oh, you can ask. ::smiling:: I was a professor at the Denobulan Science Academy for a short while. Then I just became a regular old scientist there, sitting at an office all day every day. I did that for twenty years. It took me some encouragement to get into Starfleet.

Lor: ?

TAG/TBC

Ensign Pholin Duyzer

Science Officer