Lt Commander Serala: Saying Hello

Jim Davis

Nov 9, 2020, 11:02:21 PM11/9/20
to USS Chin'toka
(( Bridge, Deck 3 Primary Hull, USS Chin’toka ))

The two hours passed rather quickly and the Akira class starship dropped out of warp. Sensors were activated and she noted that her program was running. If there were Romulans assisting the Valcarians, this is where they would be. Given what the Admiral had told her, she was being extra cautious on that front. The Captain was standing in the center of the bridge now, his hands clasped behind his back, though he had just glanced backward toward her.

Mei’konda: Open hailing frequencies, Commander. Contaact Admiral Dels’an’s complex in the capital city.

Serala: Au’e… I mean, Aye, Captain.

She tapped out the commands on her panel and the channel connected. It took several minutes for someone to respond and Serala inwardly cursed at the universal consistency of bureaucratic red tape.

Levinson: I do not detect other ships in orbit so far, Sir.

th’Koro / Tal’Aura / Any: Responses

Finally, the connection was made and the image of Grand Admiral Lorrein Dels’an appeared on the screen. The last time Serala had seen her, they had left her at Deep Space 26. That had been after she, the Admiral, Captain Thoran and Amuro McKnight had been stranded in a frozen wilderness with a Commander from the Romulan Empire and the lot of them had found themselves on the run from the Admiral’s political enemies. Apparently, that silent battle had finally escalated into civil war. It was also the same occasion in which her husband had been murdered. She fought back the surge of rage at that memory, reminding herself that the murderer had been delusional and that it was not Admiral Dels’an’s fault. Well, mostly anyway. The woman should have warned them about the problems to begin with. Still, she had nearly died with the Federation and Romulan teams and that had earned the Grand Admiral some respect from Serala. It could not be easy to deal with a power struggle like she was having to do.

Dels’an: =/\= Welcome to Tibro, Captain- Captain... =/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= Grand Admiral Dels’an, I am Captain Mei’konda Delano of the Federaation starship Chin’toka.  I know that you were expectiing Captain Thoran and the Atlantis.  I’m sorry to report that Captain Thoran passed away unexpectedly. =/\=

th’Koro / Tal’Aura / Any: Responses

Dels’an: =/\= That is... most unfortunate. I am very sorry to hear that. =/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= Yes. As am I. The Atlantis herself is undergoing refit, but the Chin’toka was sent instead as she is crewed by and laarge by the crew of the Atlantis. As you can see. =/\=

Dels’an: =/\= Indeed. Regardless, welcome to Tibro! =/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= Would you prefer to speak in person, or like this, Grand Admiraal?  My ship staands ready to offer non-military aid in whatever capaciity you need it. =/\=

Dels’an: =/\= We would be happy to receive you and your crew on the surface. The festivities and ceremonies we had planned are mostly already in place. As for the matter of the skirmish you doubt detected, the damage was minimal. A rogue element that has been neutralized. =/\=

Serala nodded in acknowledgement to the Valcarian diplomat. They had been through a life or death situation together. She would find it hard to think ill of her. Since the Captain was conducting this conversation, she saw no reason to interject at this point.

th’Koro / Tal’Aura / Any: Responses

Mei’konda: =/\= Very well, Grand Admiral.  I will prepaare to beam down with some of my senior officers.  We thaank you for your invitaation. =/\=

Dels’an: =/\= Of course, captain. Commander Serala, Commander Raga. It is good to see you both again. And I do hope that your daughter is doing well, commander. =/\=

Serala: =/\= Thank you, Grand Admiral. My daughter is doing quite well and I am pleased to see that you are doing just as well. =/\=

Raga: =/\= And you, Grand Admiral. =/\=

Dels’an: =/\= Thank you. We look forward to having you join us as honored guests. I am also happy to report that the difficulties from the Atlantis’ previous decision are resolved. Our archeological sites have instituted new safety measures to prevent any heavy metal toxicity incidents and extra security measures have been instituted for your visit. =/\=

Raga: =/\= That’s good to hear. =/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= Very good, Grand Admiral.  I’ve been brought up to speed on the diifficulties that you’ve faaced in the past on Tibro with my crew, and I look forrward to meeting with you to see how we can help now. =/\=

Serala wouldn’t classify what had happened as a “difficulty”, but she supposed from an outsider’s perspective, it might be called that. This was going to be a difficult mission simply because of the memories she was going to have to deal with. Hal Mika was really going to earn his pay after this one.

th’Koro / Tal’Aura / Any: Responses

Dels’an: =/\= My aide, Dehan Strin, will send a full list of our new security procedures for the dinner. We have secured shuttle landing sites and transport locations for your crew’s safety and comfort. =/\=

Raga: =/\= I’d quite like to read up on them. I hope you won’t mind us also taking our own precautions? =/\=

Serala: =/\= It is not intended as a criticism, Admiral. But I think you must admit we’re not really welcome here by some factions. =/\=

Dels’an: =/\= Response =/\=

th’Koro / Tal’Aura / Any: Responses

Mei’konda: =/\= I appreciaate the accommodations, Admiral. We will launch our shuttle shorrtly with science teams to visit the archaeological sites. Just in case, we’ll maake sure they’re equipped with sufficient environmental precautions. =/\=

The Grand Admiral nodded before she continued.

Dels’an: =/\= I hope that you will all be joining us for the feast. Our culinary and event staff have put a lot of work into the celebration and I think that it is going to turn out excellent. =/\=

Raga: =/\= We look forward to it, Grand Admiral. =/\=

Lephi: =/\= We'd hate to see that effort go to waste. I'm sure that it will be wonderful =/\=

Well, Serala was really hoping that was one party she wouldn’t have to attend.

Levinson: =/\= Certainly, Grand Admiral. The effort is appreciated. =/\=

th’Koro / Tal’Aura / Any: Responses

Raga: Received transport coordinates.

Mei’konda: =/\= Indeed. I look forward to meeting you in person, Grand Admiral.  Chin’toka out. =/\=

Dels’an: =/\= Response =/\=

Once the channel closed, Serala allowed herself a slight sigh of relief. She wasn’t sure how well Caitians could hear, but she knew Toryn would’ve heard it. But she’d been as quiet as she could be.

Serala: Well, that went rather well.

oO I wonder where they stashed the Romulans. Oo

th’Koro / Tal’Aura / Any: Responses

Mei’konda: Very well, then. Commanders Serala and Raga have discussed away team assignments with me. Lieutenant Lephi will be with me, along with Commander Raga and Lieutenant McKnight from SORT.

Lephi: Aye sir.

Raga / Any: Responses

Mei’konda: Commander Serala will retain command of the Chin’toka in my absence.  Commander, I’d like you to maake full use of Commander Rosek in my absence.  She has command experience, as you know, and I’m sure Commander Logan and Ensign Tal’Aura will serve you well on board as well. We need a talented and dedicaated crew on board while the ship is in hostiile space.

Serala: Au’e...Sorry, Aye, Sir.

Tal’Aura / Any: Responses

Mei’konda: And fiinally, Doctor G’Renn and Commander Kiax will lead the Archaeological teams to the Tibro dig sites. I want Lieutenants Levinson and th’Koro to accompany them in order to learn whatever we can, and Lieutenant Osiris along with some securiity personnel of his choosing to ensure everyone staays safe.

Levinson: Understood, Sir.

th’Koro / Kiax / G’Renn / Osiris (If present): Responses

Serala noted that he folded his hands behind his back again and wondered if it was one of those subconscious gestures people had, or if it was a deliberate act on his part.

Mei’konda: Good luck, everyone.

As everyone set about their assignments, she noted Lieutenant JG Lephi approach the Captain and Toryn. Though she could easily make out their conversation, she chose to focus on her own tasks. She ordered the shuttlebay to prep one of the runabouts and alerted the transporter room to standby. That taken care of, she rose from her chair and walked over to the helm officer.

Serala: Mister Callahan, welcome back to the bridge.

The startled Ensign looked up at her.

Callahan: Thank you, ma’am. And thank you for seeing enough in me to send me to that school rather than just transferring me off.

Serala: Well, Ensign, I was a junior officer one, myself. I know what it’s like to take over a post with no real experience. And it was a difficult drill, especially since you weren’t aware of that fact at the time. You seem a bit more comfortable now.

Callahan: Yes, Commander. So, it sounds like I will be your helm officer for the next few hours. I have to say I really appreciate this opportunity.

Serala: Easy, Ensign. The best way to thank me is to just do a good job. Justify my faith in you, and you will do well.

Callahan: Yes, Commander.

Serala smiled at him before turning back to her chair. Once she was sitting again, she tapped the comm panel and opened a channel to Engineering.

Serala: =/\= Serala to Engineering. Commander Rosek. =/\=

Rosek: =/\= Response =/\=

Serala: =/\= Commander, when you get a free moment, would you join me on the bridge? I would like to go over a few things with you. =/\=

Rosek: =/\= Response =/\=

Lt. Commander Serala
First Officer
Training Team Member