Lieutenant Commanders Chythar Skyfire & Cadfael Peters: First Chin'toka BC Card Night

Zeph

Jul 19, 2021, 7:56:24 PM7/19/21
to sb118-c...@googlegroups.com

(( Brew Continuum, Deck 10, USS Chin’toka ))

(( Shore Leave Day 1 ))

Cadfael made his way in after his duty shift and had a seat at the bar. He glanced around for the familiar blond-haired barista, but didn’t see him at first. Instead, he gazed over at the holographic fish tank and was once again entranced by the majestic aquatic life. He didn’t hear the doctor’s quiet approach at the bar moments later.

Skyfire: What’s the word, Cadfael?

The voice snapped the helmsman out of his trance, and he returned his gaze toward the speaker.

Peters: Oh, hey doc. Just popped by for a cup of your signature brew.

Skyfire: My signature, eh? There’s so many different ones. You want a Partha’s Comet? I haven’t gotten a lot of feedback on it yet.

Peters: Is that one you cooked up during the comet viewing party? Sure, hit me with it.

The doc smiled and began to prepare a Partha’s Comet, his empathic senses going off as Cadfael had something on his mind. While he didn’t use his gifts very often, he was a good listener in case the crew wanted to talk. It’s something he had gotten good at over the course of his sabbatical at the Raktajino.

Skyfire: Come on, buddy. Talk to me. You didn’t come down here just for a cup of the best coffee on the ship.

Peters: I was just thinking. I miss the card games.

Skyfire: Card games? Like poker and such?

Peters: Yep. We used the BC on the Juneau to play them all the time. Tradition started by Mr. Teller.

Skyfire: Nothing’s stopping you from starting a poker night here, you know. I’ll provide the coffee.

Cadfael chuckled slightly at the suggestion, realizing that the best bonding activity he had aboard the Juneau could be applied to the Chin’toka as well, in that he would actually create a social environment to bond with various crew members, especially in other departments.

Peters: You serious?

Skyfire: Serious as a heart attack, my friend. Come on.

He finished fixing the drink and handed it over. The helmsman took a drink and sipped it, marvelling at the unique flavor. He found it to be as enchanting as the fish tank, and offered up a small smile as he attempted to describe the flavor.

Peters: Tastes kind of like vanilla and cinnamon mixed, but not like a latte. More like a hot chocolate, I think? Is...is that cumin I’m tasting?

Skyfire: Absolutely no cumin in it. But yes, I’m serious. Start up a poker night. You’d be surprised who turns up. And you’d be getting freshly ground coffee for the games.

Cadfael nodded slightly and tapped a message on his bracer, not bothering to encrypt since they were on shore leave and it wasn’t leaving the ship.

//

To: Crew of the USS Chin’toka

From: C. Peters, Helmsman

Subject: Card Night

Hey, folks. Bring your game faces to the first Chin’toka BC Open Cards night! This is a great opportunity to bond with your fellow crewmates. 1700 hours tomorrow night, our very own BC brewmaster, Chythar Skyfire, will be providing the coffee, I’ll provide the cards. We will not be playing for latinum, just fun.

Hope to see you then!

Regards,

Cadfael

//

He pressed send, and the pair continued to converse about the Partha’s Comet and other flavors of coffee until the doc glanced at his watch and politely excused himself to pick up his daughter. Though, since it was one of his nights in the BC he figured he could get away with bringing Maddy and Devlin to have dinner with him here while Lael worked a gamma shift.

===

Lieutenant Commander Cadfael Peters

Helmsman

USS Chin’toka NCC-97187

O239002CS0

Lieutenant Commander Chythar Skyfire, MD

Medical Officer & Barista

USS Chin’toka NCC-91787

O239002CS0