Lt Commander Serala: Briefing, Part 2

Serala

Jan 28, 2021, 10:55:47 PMJan 28
to USS Chin'toka

(( Conference Room, Deck 3 - Primary Hull, USS Chin’toka ))

Serala: Very well, then. Does anyone have any questions or comments?

Azorius: Do we expect any hostility between the two provinces, any war of territorial claim, or rivalry?

Raga: That’s a good question, Ensign. :: He smiled :: At the moment, both House Beruna and House Barahn are allies to one another. Beruna is the second largest of the Houses, Larokon being the first. The three of which make up the majority of votes in their Council. So, there shouldn’t be any conflicts in that regard, but the Houses aren’t entirely unified for a reason. I’m sure each is always looking to their own interests first and foremost.

Peters: Response

Serala: Thank you, Commander Raga. Does anyone else have any questions, or anything to add?

Kiax: For once I actually have one thing to table while we’re all here… Lieutenant Levinson and I have been working on a way to combat some of the uncertainty that travelling beyond the confines of the trade lanes brings, though the technology could use a sounding out before we put it to use… We’ve been exploring the application of low-yield dampening fields to help filter out, beyond the capabilities of the normal sensor filters, some of the background noise that they’re subjected to when we try and push the range of them beyond a kind of medium range. Sort of like squelching RF signals, I suppose. So far, we’ve been able to extend range by about 20,000 kilometres at the cost of quality and fidelity, but it’s given us the ability to garner some more accurate predictions when it comes to establishing a pattern in the stellar debris drift.

Any: Response

Levinson: Response

Lephi: That's quite impressive, Commander. How are you modulating the dampening fields to achieve that effect?

Kiax: The dampening fields are being modulated by two factors; our own outgoing sensor frequencies, and previously obtained data on the incoming background noise from the usual detritus that is floating around the Expanse. By shielding the sensor clusters with the dampening fields, we can essentially screen out the interference. It’s not a perfect solution though. The constantly changing nature of the debris means that predicting what interference patterns to screen out is almost impossible – but, the more data we gather, the better the computer will get at predicting what kind of shifts will occur, which will ultimately give us longer and longer ranges at higher resolutions.

Lephi: Impressive indeed! I for one am looking forward to seeing how you fare with this.

Serala: That would actually be very useful.

Levinson / Snow / Logan / Rosek: Responses?

Serala looked over at Toryn to see if he wanted to add anything.

Raga: Commander Logan. I want you and Lieutenant McKnight to make sure our tactical systems are ready and up to anything. Since this is literally uncharted space for us, we can’t know what we might expect. We may have had a shakedown against a Valcarian cruiser already, but let’s be sure if we need to we’re prepared for a fight but hope we won’t.

Those were good suggestions, and since they were in his department, she had no objections to the order.

Logan: Response

McKnight: Working on that already, boss. I'll request checks on all defense systems.

Raga: Good. :: Toryn turned to Doctor Snow and once more issued orders :: I’d like the medical department to be on alert as well. Who knows what we might discover on this, perhaps something that might help advance our medical understanding or medicines. So, I’d like you on the bridge and keeping an eye on our sensors.

Serala decided to take her cue from a recent lesson Captain Mei’konda had taught her.

Serala: Thank you, Commander Raga. :: turning to Snow :: Those are actually very good suggestions, Doctor. Let’s go ahead and make sure we’re prepared.

Snow : responses

Kiax: One final note from me – you’ll probably come across the notification in the computer regarding the Type 7 compliment eventually, but I figured I’d tell you all now to be sure. Until further notice they’re grounded while we work out an issue with their sensor suites and auto-guidance processors. Hopefully they’ll be back in action by the time we get to our destination, but for the time being consider using the Nines for whatever plans you submit through mission ops, if you need smaller shuttlecraft. The runabouts and Argos are available as well, if you need larger transports.

Serala: Noted, Commander. I assume our fighter compliment is still available to us should we need it?

Kiax: Response

Serala nodded at her reply. She wished she’d been notified, but she trusted Esa’s judgement.

Azorius: I believe that with the crew facing new challenges, new prospects and the unknown, now would be a good time for me to begin offering the crew one on one appointments for counselling. I’ll post a schedule later today and the crew can request to see me. This is of course in addition to my mandatory crew evaluations which are planned to occur semi-frequently.

Serala: That’s excellent, Counselor. You can expect me to drop by.

Azorius: Is there anything else I can do to be of use for now, or shall I head to my office?

Serala: Well, let’s see what everyone else has, and then we’ll dismiss.

Peters: :: Turning toward Snow :: Don’t hesitate to contact Dr. Skyfire if you need a hand. :: Turning back to the group. :: Let’s do it.

Any: Responses?

Once all the questions had been answered, Serala looked around at each of the officers. They were her crew for now, and she had every confidence in their abilities. While this seemed to be a routine mission, Serala had learned from experience that there was really no such thing as routine in the Expanse. Of course, where they were going was technically not in the Expanse, but she was pretty sure the unusual didn’t stop at the borders of the Par’tha Expanse.

Serala: Well, if there is nothing else then, let’s get to work.

Rosek: :: nods :: Yes, Commander.

Azorius: Aye, Sir.

Lephi: Aye, sir.

McKnight: Aye aye, oh captain, my captain.

Lt. Commander Serala
First Officer/Acting CO
Training Team Member
Image Collective Member