Lieutenant Commander Cadfael Peters: The Petersian Twist

Zeph

Aug 26, 2022, 3:40:35 PM8/26/22
to chintoka IC

(( Bridge, USS Chin’toka ))

Cadfael had done his share of fancy flying, but it seemed that each engagement aboard the Chin’toka was more challenging than the last. He was fortunate that he was a fast learner, having committed all the evasive maneuver patterns to memory and thus adding the special Petersian twist to each one, creating a unique blend of standard and adapted variants for the Akira-class vessel.

K. Raga: I…just need to leave. ::He convulsed slightly and looked at his son with a brief clarity:: Toryn? I know what this is…it’s..::The clarity faded and he smiled serenely:: Peace. Pure Serenity. Why would you take that from me son?

The interpersonal drama between father and son was of little import to Cadfael at this particular instant. While on the one hand, he knew that he could do nothing about the telepathic aspect; on the other, he had his flying to focus on.

T. Raga: More! We need more telepaths. ::He called out:: It’s working.

As much as he wished he could be useful here, Cadfael was unable to contribute. Moments like this, he was grateful that he wasn’t telepathic, as it would’ve been an additional distraction he couldn’t afford. He maintained his evasive pattern, forcing the Chin’toka farther and farther away from the Klingon-esque vessel.

Peters: Following previous instruction and putting distance between us and the K’Tinga.

He wasn’t sure it was necessary to state the obvious, but at the moment it didn’t seem that it would hurt to do so, as there was still a chance the K’Tinga would fire again, possibly igniting the vented plasma in the process.

(( Flashback, moments earlier ))

Peters: Explosion and radiation combined isn’t a pleasant thought, sir. I estimate we’d be exposed for at least ten seconds, even with the shields in place, even with a full impulse burn out of the nebula. We are too close.

Mei’konda: There is no worry that the entire neebula will be lost, Commander Raga, but there is still a danger. That means we need to lure them away. If they’re so intent on takiing us out, then hopefully they'll chase us.

T. Raga: Captain, the Council fleet is decloaking. Counting five Al-Leyan Birds-of-Prey and two Dee Fives.

K. Raga: They will see the plasma leak and hold fire. But perhaps the numbers will dissuade our attackers to continue.

Mei’konda: Commander Peters, reverse course. Take us into open space, but maake us look vulnerable. Fluctuaate engine emissions, but keep us moviing. Mr. McKnight, I want you to continue fire at the enemy shiip, phasers only. Bait them toward us.

Peters: Aye, sir.

With those instructions in mind, he began to maneuver with another perhaps somewhat familiar pattern to those who were pilots, the base of it being a gamma-six. With vented plasma at irregular intervals and Amuro’s firing pattern, he hoped the ruse was working.

(( End Flashback ))

Desai: Responses

Levinson: Responses

Isa / Mei’konda / McKnight: Responses

Andala: Ket? Are you okay?

K. Raga: We have to leave the nebula now….it’s there. ::He cleared his throat which felt parched:: La Tirano. We have to leave, Captain…it’s in the nebula.

T. Raga: We’ve…managed to push it back and shield his mind but distance might help. I don’t know how long I can contribute. ::His brow was practically dripping with perspiration and his hair was damp::

Desai / Andala: Responses

Levinson: Responses

Isa / Mei’konda / McKnight: Responses

Peters: Already working on it, sir. At full impulse burn, we should be able to easily put another hundred kilometers between us, even with the vented plasma.

Desai / Andala: Responses

Levinson: Responses

Isa / Mei’konda / McKnight: Responses

He nodded slightly, and managed to risk a glance to Toryn. He could see the sweat dripping from the Al-Leyan’s forehead, and figured that despite being telepathically incapable, the best he could do would be to offer some words of encouragement.

Peters: :: quietly, to Toryn. :: Hang on, buddy. Almost there. :: then, audibly for all to hear. :: Aye, sir.

He pushed the impulse engines hard, and continued with the predetermined plan of simulating vulnerability. He would only suggest a simulated warp core breach as a last resort, and he definitely didn’t want to cause Carter any more headaches than he had already with his creative flying.

Desai / Andala: Responses

Levinson: Responses

Isa / Mei’konda / McKnight: Responses

===