CPT Mei'konda Delano & CMDR Serala - Change of Command (Part 1)

Mei'konda Delano

Nov 27, 2022, 3:45:54 PM11/27/22
to sb118-c...@googlegroups.com

(( With this sim, Jim and I are pushing us forward into shore leave. Congratulations on a successful mission, everyone! Please mark any sims you’ll be sending that take place prior to the communication with the Astraeus as backsims. ))

(( Bridge, Deck 3, USS Chin’toka ))

As the massive Galaxy class starship which showed up on their viewscreen closed in, another slight shudder worked its way through the stricken Chin’toka, though this time it was brief, gentle, and familiar. Mei didn’t need to see the subtle blue glow extending from the Astraeus’ underside to realize that they’d fixed the Akira class starship in a tractor beam.

That was a relief. Tractor beams weren’t just an energy-based replacement of grappler cables. They could also be used to shore up the structural integrity of a damaged vessel, and the bruised and bloodied Caitian knew for sure that they needed it.

Serala: =/\= USS Ast---us to Ch----oka. Do y-- re-d me? =/\=

Though the message wasn’t coming through clearly, it was easy enough for them to interpret it Mei glanced over toward Levinson and the Bynars. With Kiax’s obviously injured hip and leg, he didn’t want to ask her to do anything. Mostly, because he knew she’d try her best, and probably hurt herself more in the process.

Mei’konda: See if you can clean that up, Lieutenant, Ensigns.

Levinson / 101 & 000: Responses

Mei’konda: =/\= We read you, Astraeus, just baarely. It’s damned good to hear your voice, Commander Serala. =/\=

The static on the screen gradually began to dissipate, though the picture quality still wasn’t nearly as good as usual. That said, Serala was still easy to recognize, standing on the Bridge of the Astraeus, with its unusual blend of mid 24th century styling and modern technology.

Serala: =/\= Good to hear your voice. Is it as bad as it looks from the outside? =/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= Liiikely worse, Commander. We’re doing everythiing we can here, but we have several adrift shuttles nearby that we cannot establish contact with. I need you to maake sure they’re rescued immediately. =/\=

Serala: =/\= I have already dispatched our shuttles on a rescue and recovery operation for your own shuttles. I also have repair teams and medical teams assembling now and should be ready for beam over shortly. =/\=

Rescued, just in the nick of time. It was a big relief, one which Mei’konda was virtually too exhausted to process. And he was just the Captain. How utterly wrecked must his engineering crews be? He paused for a moment, then spoke.

Mei’konda: =/\= Commander, we’ll be droppiing what’s left of our shields momentarily. :: He gestured toward McKnight to do so, then looked back up at the screen. :: I’ll notify Sickbay to begin traansporting our casualties to your medicaal facilities, and that Engineering can expect addiitional personnel. =/\=

Serala: =/\= Anything you need, Captain. We’ll be ready. And when you have a spare moment, I have some information to pass along. But that can wait for now. =/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= Agreed, Commander. Let’s maake sure the Chin’toka is staable first. Then, we can discuss anything you like. If there’s nothing else, I’d better join a repair team. =/\=

Seeing that the Chin’toka’s shields were down, Serala turned to her First Officer and indicated that they should begin transporting the teams.

Serala: =/\= Understood, sir. My teams are already on the way. Let me know if there is any other way we can assist.  =/\=

Mei felt a natural smile tug his lips upward slightly, despite how virtually everything hurt elsewhere on his body.

Mei’konda: =/\= Just seeing you here is almost assistance enough, Astraeus. Chin’toka out. =/\=

As Serala’s image winked out on the screen, Mei spoke into the air. Internal communications seemed to be working well enough now that he was able to call through the whole ship - what was left of it - and be heard.

Mei’konda: =/\= All hands, this is the Captain. The Astraeus has arrived on scene, and will momentarily be traansporting relief supplies and personnel to aid us. Sickbay, coordinaate with their medical personnel to evacuaate any casualties you need to. Engineering, transport damage reports, personnel, and paarts requirements to their operations staff. We’re safe, everyone. =/\=

(( Time skip - four hours later ))

// Captain’s log, stardate 239911.27.

We’ve successfully diverted the neutron star from the Lanaxa system, and saved six hundred and fifty million lives in the process. Unfortunately, the Chin’toka was crippled in the process, and ten members of our crew, including three shuttle pilots, gave their lives in the process. I will be ensuring that all of them receive the Federation Cross posthumously for their heroism.

We’ve received communications of gratitude from Lanaxa’s government itself, as well as thousands of messages from thankful Caraadian civilians who live in the system. What we’ve done here over the last few days should help to earn the Federation an immense amount of goodwill from House Lanaxa, but only time will tell how that will affect the political landscape of the Great Houses.

After a thorough evaluation by Lieutenant Commander Peters, we have come to the conclusion that the Chin’toka will not be able to resume her duties in the Par’tha Expanse without a very thorough and extensive refit, one which the facilities which are still under construction around Shemsh are not yet capable of providing.

I’m beaming aboard the Astraeus shortly for a meeting with Commander Serala. With the Chin’toka unavailable, my next Captain’s log will contain information about how Starfleet intends for us to continue providing support for the new Shemsh colony.

End log entry.

//

For Mei’konda, a relatively light medical treatment had followed his communication with the Astraeus, one which he had fortunately not had to leave the Chin’toka for. He’d had time for a sonic shower, a short rest, and to change into a fresh uniform.

Though he was so tired that he could feel the ache of it in his bones, he’d made his way to one of the Chin’toka’s transporter rooms - something which was a mere formality, given that they were still non-functional. And as he was beamed from one Federation starship to the other, the battered, scorched, and cramped Akira class disappeared around him to be replaced by the healthy, clean, and recently renovated transporter room aboard the Astraeus

He recognized the transporter chief from his previous time as Captain of the Galaxy class starship, and flashed her a slight smile, one which she returned. There was no need for him to request directions from either the ship’s computers or a member of her crew to find his way to a turbolift. He knew every corridor, every deck, and every Jefferies tube on this ship. After all, he’d been in charge of her refit several years ago, and had later led her on her long range expedition to the Eagle nebula.

(( Bridge, Deck 1, USS Astraeus ))

As the crimson turbolift doors on the Astraeus’ Bridge slid open, Mei folded his hands behind his back, blue eyes flicking left and right to take in the sight of the massive starship’s command center before he stepped out. His ears twitched upward as a voice he could never mistake as belonging to anyone else spoke to one of her officers.

Serala: … And have Lieutenant Zarax report to the bridge once she clears medical. I need to get her report. Also..

Serala heard the turbolift doors open and turned to spot a very familiar Caitian striding onto the bridge. It had been a long four hours since they’d arrived. The rescue teams had recovered the remaining pilots and had tractored the shuttle and a few escape pods on board. All of the recovered people were being checked out in Sickbay, some apparently with some pretty significant injuries. She’d learned that Lieutenant Zarax had been the flight leader for the shuttles, and as such Serala was going to need to get her report to add to her own regarding this incident.

oO At least I am not speaking Romulan anymore. Oo

Somehow, the presence of the Captain gave her a bit more reassurance that everything was going to be okay.

Serala: Welcome to the bridge, Captain. It’s good to see you again.

Making his way down the subtly curving ramp on the left side of the Bridge, Mei stepped up to the Romulan woman and offered her a hand to shake, along with a dip of his head.

Mei’konda: And you, Commander, and you. I thiink the entire Bridge crew of the Chin’toka breathed a collectiive sigh of relief when we saw you on our viewscreen. I suppose I shouldn’t haave been surprised to have you riding to our rescue. We are paart of Starbase 118’s jurisdictiion, and the Astraeus is one of the only starships in its fleet equipped with a quantum slipstream drive.

Serala: Well, truth be told, Captain, that wasn’t exactly why we’re here. Though when I heard what the Chin’toka was trying to do, I did have us make all due haste to your assistance. I just wish we’d been able to arrive a bit sooner.

With a glance off to the left, Mei gestured toward the ready room.

Mei’konda: I see, Commander. Well, whatever the reasons, you and your crew have saaved maany lives today. Shall we chat in privaate about why you’re really here, then?

Serala: Yes, sir. I think that would be best. :: gesturing toward the Ready Room, which she’d carefully avoided knowing it wasn’t really going to be hers. :: After you?

=======================

Captain Mei’konda Delano

Commanding Officer

USS Astraeus, NCC-70652