Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek: An Ending, Part I

Lael Rosek

Mar 22, 2021, 1:31:54 AM3/22/21
to sb118-c...@googlegroups.com

OOC: This post may contain descriptions that could trigger unsettling feelings. Read with care.

((Underground Caves, Eladar IV))

It was taking a great deal of self-control not to collapse from exhaustion. This had been a trying mission, both psychologically and physically. However, it wasn’t over until they were safely back aboard the Chin’toka. There was work to be done. Her chest was tight from the unusual level of exertion and she was desperately fighting the urge to ask for an asthma hypo. The burning in her lungs was easied only by the slowness of her movements. Though still painful, it was bearable.

McKnight: Area secured for now. Are you alright, Commander?

Rosek: ::shrugs:: I’ve dealt with worse. ::turns to Snow:: How’s Katnar doing?

Snow: Not good, Commander. If we don’t get her help soon she isn’t going to make it. She needs surgery to repair the internal damage.

She nodded, hoping the old Chief would survive. Katnar had been a beacon for change and a ray of light to her people. Her death would be an honorable one, but something told Lael that this woman had a great deal more to contribute to improving life for her people.

Lael’s gaze flickered to Serala’s. She wanted to ask that Katnar be brought aboard for more extensive treatment but didn’t want to put that on the commander in front of the others. Serala had heard Snow’s report and was more than capable of making that call for herself.

Serala: Do whatever you need to do, Doctor. She was injured by outside forces. The Prime Directive does not apply here.

Levinson: ::Inclining her head:: Your timely arrival is certainly appreciated.

Indeed it was, but such things could be said and done at a more appropriate time and place. Her patient’s life was slipping through her fingers. It was beginning to feel like Captain Thoran all over again. She clenched her jaw in frustration.

Snow: Katnar is stable enough to be moved, yes. So whatever we’re going to do it needs to be done now.. :: her voice had just a hint of impatience to it ::

Katnar’fari: I cannot leave...the caves must be protected. ::She coughed violently a moment and felt the discomfort in her back increase as the knife shifted:: In case...more Cara deens return…

She could understand the Chief’s concern. However, if they didn’t get her to a more sophisticated treatment environment, it was likely going to be a moot point. Her expression softened and her gaze dropped to her feet. She didn’t dare look at the bodies unmoving around her or she might lose the tenuous control she had on her temper.

Part of her felt like she was back in Lenik’s memory. But this was no figment. This wasn’t someone else’s life. It was hers. If only she’d acted sooner… She mentally shook the thoughts from her head. There was no use in thinking that way. What was done was done and she’d simply have to live with the consequences.

Qalipu’fari: Response

Kiax: We’re probably better equipped back at the shuttle. I understand we’ve only just met, but would it be okay if we helped you back?

Katnar’fari: If...if it means I can live to protect my people...yes…::coughs:: please.

Qalipu’fari: Response

Snow: We do need something to carry her out on. I don't recommend anyone carrying her themselves as it could cause the knife to move.

Lael massaged her shoulder, wincing. At the very least it was severely bruised and at worst, possibly dislocated. Normally, she’d have been the first to volunteer. However, she knew she was in no physical condition to carry any kind of weight. She was already likely not going to hear the end of it from Chythar.

She only hoped it wasn’t as severe as she suspected or it would be next to impossible hiding the extent of the injuries from her daughter. Maddy was far too observant for her own good.

McKnight: Response

Kiax: Right. I can head back now and grab a stretcher, if that’s any help.

Levinson: I am able to assist you with bringing it over, if you wish.

Snow: That would be greatly appreciated. But please make it quick. She doesn’t have much time.

Serala: :: to Kiax and Levinson :: Go ahead, you two. Get back here as quickly as you can.

Azorius: I’m medically trained, I can assist in the meantime if you wish? Commander, I am at your command.

Katnar’fari: So...tired…

Serala /McKnight / Qalipu’fari / Kiax / Levinson  / Any: Responses

She crossed the room and dropped to her knees beside the woman, her concern doubling. Though not a doctor by any means, she’d received enough severe injuries over the years to recognize the frustration in Snow’s features. It didn’t help that Lael’s mental shields were all but gone in her exhaustion and the maelstrom of feelings flying around the room was enough to make her dizzy.

Rosek: Stay with us, Katnar.

After a moment’s pause, Snow spoke up beside her and she turned to meet the woman’s gaze.

Snow: I'm really grateful for what you did, Commander, but I'm even more thankful that you're still here with us.

Rosek: ::grins tiredly:: So am I, Lieutenant. So am I.

She was tempted to deliver a slap of camaraderie to the doctor’s shoulder, but hesitated, realizing that Snow might have her own injuries and Lael didn’t want to make them worse.

Katnar’fari: Thank you...I..I feel better.

McKnight / Qalipu’fari / Kiax / Levinson  / Any: Responses

Azorius: Katnar is doing well, she is stable for now Sir, but this could get worse at a moment’s notice.

Rosek: ::wry, unamused grin:: Not quite the news the patient was hoping for, I’m sure.

Sugarcoating it wouldn’t help, of course. She’d always been annoyed when her previous doctors did that. She much preferred they give it to her straight so she could make an informed decision. Her gaze fell to the bat-like woman who had taken her team captive in one of the least violent abductions Lael had experienced in her many years.

If the moment wasn’t so serious, she would have laughed and exchanged teasing banter with the Chief. God willing, Dr. Snow and her team would see Katnar returned to her usual self so they could do just that. Part of her hoped they lingered just long enough for her to share a drink with the woman she’d come to admire in such a short space of time.

Serala: Understood, Counselor. Keep doing whatever needs to be done. The others should be back shortly.

McKnight / Qalipu’fari / Snow / Any: Responses

The Caitian worked diligently beside her, doing his best to keep the patient comfortable while Snow and Serala decided how to proceed. The sooner they got her help, the better.

Levinson: Understood. We should get going, then.

Kiax: I couldn’t agree more.

Azorius: You’ll be safe soon, friend. We’ll take good care of you.

Katnar’fari: Thank you...for your help. It is far more compassion than the Feladoni have ever shown my people.

She paused a moment, considering the phrasing. Her knowledge of their language was limited, but she’d picked up enough to manage a few disjointed phrases.

Rosek: ::in Mekra’fari:: It is our pleasure. ::switches to Standard:: Fari is blessed to have such a passionate protector.

McKnight /  Qalipu’fari / Kiax / Levinson / Snow / Any: Responses

She turned at the sound of footsteps to find Levinson and Kiax approaching with the stretcher to carry Katnar to a more suitable treatment location. Oh, what she wouldn’t give for an anti-grav stretcher right about now. But they couldn’t risk jarring Katnar’s injury more than necessary so it was for the best that the carrying device was controlled by humanoid hands.

Levinson: We are here.

The group worked to put the device together while she took over the Caitian’s duty, on occasion dabbing the patient’s face with a cooling cloth. As she did, she began to softly hum a lullaby from her childhood, one that her aunt had so often used to soothe her when she was ill. There were no words, only the soft sounds meant for sensitive ears.

Kiax: You’re in charge here, Doctor. What do you need from us?

Snow / McKnight / Qalipu’fari / Zadok: Responses

The flurry of discussion continued around her, but she was grateful for the escape the familiar song provided even as she worked to keep Katnar calm. One thing she recalled from her basic field medic training was that steady blood pressure and heart rate increased a patient’s chances of survival.

Levinson: I do not detect any life signs other than our own that we may cross on our way to the surface. I believe we have a clear path.

Kiax: I’m not sure I’ll be much help carrying the patient… I’ll bring up the rear.

Serala: Looks like the General’s people have that covered. Lieutenant McKnight on point, then the medical team. The rest of us can bring up the rear.

She looked up at the comment about the Feladoni. Though she had very little experience with them, she hoped that what they’d witnessed here today opened their eyes. Mentally shaking the thought from her head, she resumed her ministrations.

McKnight / Qalipu’fari / Kiax / Snow / Zadok / Any: Responses

Katnar’fari: You…::Surprise in her voice:: why are you here?

Zadok: response

The weak cough from Katnar caused Lael’s anxiety to momentarily spike before she was able to get the runaway emotion under control again. Her nerves were frayed both from the unknown situation they’d entered when they’d first arrived and the dangerous nature of the fight they’d been in.

Katnar’fari: Why help those whom you’ve relocated? ::She asked in both anger and pain and confusion::

Zadok: response

Katnar’fari: Lofali’jit Katnar’fari. ::She emphasized the name of her settlement:: I was nine rotations when you came to move us from our homes…::She coughed hard:: Why come to help save your pets? ::She let the word rumble in her sore throat a moment::

Zadok: response

She listened to the exchange, though she didn’t pay much attention to the words exchanged. It felt too much like eavesdropping. Her sensitive ears afforded her a distinct disadvantage in situations like this.

McKnight /  Qalipu’fari / Kiax / Levinson / Snow / Zadok / Any: Responses

Katnar’fari: We cannot protect Fari...as long as we’re...div...divide ::The Mekra’fari began to convulse, gasping for air and coughing up blood::

Her brow furrowed in concern as she noted how Katnar had begun to drift in and out of consciousness. A final blink of the woman’s eyes and they remained closed. She desperately pressed her fingers to Katnar’s neck, feeling for a pulse. It was weak and growing weaker by the moment. They had to move.

McKnight /  Qalipu’fari / Snow / Zadok / Any: Responses

TBC...

----

Chief Engineer
USS Chin'toka, NCC-97187