Lt Commander Serala: Maybe I Should Get A Cat

Serala

Dec 9, 2020, 10:13:51 PM12/9/20
to USS Chin'toka

(( Shuttlebay, Main Level, Deck 9, USS Chin’toka, in orbit of Tibro ))

She arrived just as the runabout opened its door and the new arrivals stepped out. Most were just crewmen being transferred in, but one was a Caitian wearing the teal uniform of someone in the medical department. In this case, Counseling. Maybe she could finally get some of her issues resolved. Stepping up to the officer, she extended her hand in greeting.

Serala: Welcome, Ensign....Azorius, I believe it was? I am Lieutenant Commander Serala, your First Officer. Glad to have you here.

Azorius: It’s my pleasurrrre Commander. The ship is beautiful, I enjoyed the view on my way in. Oh, I almost forgot. :: he coughed and came to attention :: Ahem. Ensign Azorius, reporting for duty Sir.

Serala: Wonderful! Well, if you will follow me, Ensign, I will take you to your quarters. Lieutenant Commander Kiax was kind enough to already have it assigned so I can take you there now.

Azorius: Quarters to myself? That’s a luxury in itself, back at the Academy, I had a room with three other cadets. A Bolian who snored constantly, a Vulcan who demanded lights out super early and a young Human who had nightmares. Needless to say, I’m looking forward to having some restful nights.

As she began to lead the Counselor, she slowed her pace enough to allow him to catch up to her. She’d thought to take this opportunity to get to know him a little bit. They stepped into the turbolift and she ordered it to take them to Deck 7, primary hull, where his quarters were located.

Serala: Well, Counselor. Why don’t you tell me a little about yourself. What made you interested in being a counselor?

Azorius: Oh, well I’ve always been fascinated in how people tick. What makes a Vulcan think differently to a Bolian for example. How does a Betazoid understand psychology differently to a Bajoran? It all started with a pocket watch. I wanted to know how it worked, so I took it apart and learned how each piece fit together and created harmony. Now, I simply do that with people. Though, less taking them apart…physically at least. :: he chuckled ::

Serala: Well, that sounds very interesting. Once you get settled in, report to the bridge. We’re in the middle of a situation and we could really use your expertise.

Azorius: Yes Commander, I’ll get myself settled and head there right away.

Serala: Good then. Now, about that idea of having quarters to yourself...

(( Deck 7 - Primary Hull, USS Chin’toka ))

She stepped out of the turbolift as the doors opened and once more led the Ensign down the corridor.

Serala: ...we only have so many quarters, so we usually assign two to the same quarters. I am not sure your roommate will be, if anyone. I just didn’t want you to get your expectations up. Once you make Lieutenant JG, you will get your own quarters.

Azorius: Response

Serala: Good. Well here we are. Go ahead and place your stuff on your bunk for now and come with me. I think the Captain should be about to the bridge by now.

Azorius: Response

She waited patiently while the Caitian deposited his gear and returned.

Azorius: Response

She smiled. It was always such a delight to see the enthusiasm of the new graduates from the Academy.

oO Was I ever that excited about all this? Oo

She still remembered her first away mission when Ensign Noshka had snagged her up for a rescue mission to save Captain Brell’s life. It was the beginning of what had so far turned out to be a great career.

oO I wonder whatever happened to that little Ferengi? If I remember correctly, she made JG just prior to her transfer. I might just have to look her up and see how things have turned out. Oo

Serala: Well, you arrived at a good time. This is our maiden voyage and we’ve got quite the situation on our hands. We’ve even been able to test the combat systems in live conditions.

Azorius: Response

She took a few seconds to think that over in order to figure out how best to answer it briefly but accurately.

Serala: Well, we are currently in orbit around Tibro, which is the capitol planet of the Harkanon sector of the Valcarian Imperial Republic. It’s on the border of Caraadian space, and the two have been at odds for some time now. This is not Federation space, so we have to be a bit more careful about how we handle things. In any event, we’ve been invited here by their Ambassador for diplomatic talks and it seems some of our people were caught in an attack just a short while ago. We also have a scientific team on the surface studying some ancient ruins, but so far they seem to be in good condition.

As she was talking, she had led him once more to the turbolift and then requested it take them to the bridge.

Azorius: Response

Serala: Well, I don’t want to get ahead of the Captain, so I will leave that to him. But it’s good to have a Counselor on board. And I have a feeling you and I are going to be talking quite a bit.

She left it at that. He’d find out what she meant soon enough.

(( Bridge, Deck 3 - Primary Hull, USS Chin’toka ))

The turbolift doors opened and Serala waited for the Ensign to step out before exiting herself.

Azorius: Wow...it looks even bigger than I imagined...

Sure enough, the Captain was already on the Bridge and he greeted her as she stepped out. She once more had to fight back a grin at his enthusiasm. Something about these Caitians engendered comfort and amusement in her.

oO Maybe I should get a cat. Oo

Moving to her seat, she happened to catch a glimpse at Amuro standing at the tactical station and nodded. It was time to see some of that cross-training come out.

Mei’konda: Thank you for taaking good care of the ship duriing my absence, Commander Serala. This is Ensign Azorius, I assume?

Serala: Anytime, sir.

Azorius: Yes Sir, Ensign Freki Azorius, reporting for duty Sir.

Mei’konda: Welcome aboard then, Ensign. Commander, have you received any recent communicaation from the archaeology team? Commander Kiax informed me that they expected to be out of communicaation due to the depth they were traaveling underground.

Serala: Negative to that, sir. But as you said, I wasn’t really expecting them. Though I believe the pilot should still be onboard the Holana.

Serala watched as he brushed his beard, and wondered what it was about beards that COs seem to favor. Only Brell hadn’t had one, but Jarred had, Commander Williams had, and that Captain Whittaker she had met during the commissioning party had one as well.

Mei’konda: I see. Commander Rosek, please do your best to estaablish contact with the team and get a status report, even if it is just the security deployment in the runabout on the surfaace.

Rosek / Any: Responses

Serala took her seat in the center area of the bridge. She noticed the Counselor standing nearby, apparently waiting on her to direct him.

Serala: Ensign, why don’t you take the seat on the other side of the Captain for now. Lieutenant Commander Raga is not here at the moment, so he won’t be needing it.

Azorius: Response

About that time, she heard the comms come to life and the voice of the Orion tactical officer came through.

Zarax: =/\= Ensign Zarax here, Commander. Go ahead. =/\=

Mei’konda: Response

Rosek/Any: Response

Lt. Commander Serala
First Officer