Lt Commander Serala: Discussing the Preliminaries

Jim Davis

Nov 9, 2020, 10:08:04 PM11/9/20
to USS Chin'toka

(( Bridge, Deck 3 Primary Hull, USS Chin’toka, two hours from Tibro ))

Serala: Captain, we will be in communications range of Tibro in about two hours.

Serala took note of Toryn’s arrival on the bridge. She wondered where he had been at, but knew he had a good reason for just now getting here.

Mei’konda: Excellent, Commander Serala.

Raga: I get the feeling something happened?

Mei’konda: I’m afraaid so. We’ve detected a laarge battle a little over three light years from here, between Valcarian Empire vessels. One of them is down already. It seems there’s a bit of a civil war happening here.

Tal’Aura / Any: Responses

Raga: Not surprising. With the way they struggle for power open conflict was likely to happen eventually. Though, it’s interesting since I thought Del’san had complete control over their navy.

Tal’Aura: Perhaps the Admiral overestimated or over exaggerated the amount of support they had in order to appear the dominant party.

Mei’konda: In governments such as the Valcarian Empire, the illusiion of complete control is paramount to maintaining a grip on their people. Dictaatorships cannot last once the truth begins to come out. And by the way. Welcome to the Bridge, Commander Raga.

Levinson: ::Nodding:: Indeed, Commander. Welcome.

Raga: Apologies. I’ve spent the last hour holding my door open while it was getting repaired. ::He shook his head and Serala smirked as she wondered if he had been the cause of the damage in the first place :: Long story.

oO I bet. Oo

Mei’konda: You’re here now, Commander. So. I don’t thiink we have to worry about any engagements until we drop to sublight speeds in the Tibro system. After that, we’ll have to be on our toes, so to speak. And we need to estaablish a few things ahead of time.

Serala sat back, prepared to listen to the Captain’s thoughts.

Serala: What kinds of things did you have in mind, sir?

th’Koro / Tal’Aura / Any: Responses

Mei’konda: Fiirst. We will be in a potentially hostiile area of spaace, and we will haave away teams on the ground. That means that the possibility exists that the Chin’toka maay have to leave orbit in a hurry, before it can retrieve team members on Tibro IV.

Okay, so that made sense, though the idea of leaving shipmates behind in a potentially hostile situation did not appeal to her, the primary consideration had to be the ship.

Mei’konda: In such a situaation, the ship takes prioriity - I want that very well understood. But that doesn’t mean we won’t giive our away teams every resource they could have in an emergency. Mr. Raga, I want you to coordinaate with Commander Kiax and prepaare a base of operaations that can be set up in short notice near the archaeological sites we’ll be sending our science teams to.  Use a shuttle - one of our laarger ones, so it can be loaded with proviisions, defenses, etcetera.

Serala: Quite understood and understandable, Captain.

Levinson:  A highly logical precaution, Captain.

Lephi: Understood, Captain.

th’Koro / Tal’Aura / Any: Responses

Raga: Understood. We have three Danube-class on board. One of which is already fitted with a scientific mission pod. I suggest we use that as it is the most versatile of our complement and has transporters of its own. It’s also a tough craft. But will the Valcarian’s let us bring one to the surface?

Mei’konda: Yes. I caan sell the shuttle’s presence to the Grand Admiral as necessary due to tools needed for our studies in that location. Questions or suggestions?

Raga: The ground team should keep at least side-arms on them at all times as a precaution and I would suggest we have our own dedicated security personnel there to secure our basecamp. We should also see about bringing static defenses or barriers as well. Forcefield emitters to secure at least the runabout, if not the whole camp.

Mei’konda: Agreed, Commander. I suggest taking portable shield generaators and phaser rifles as well. I am less concerrned with appearances in this deployment, and more with safety.

Raga: Response

th’Koro / Tal’Aura / Any: Responses

Serala sat back and listened to the ideas of the others around her. They all had valid points to make. She was a tactician and strategist. She could be ready for any engagements, assuming the Captain left her in charge instead of sending her to the planet. In that case, her security training would suit her best. But given the nature of the mission, one of diplomacy, she suspected he would wish to lead the team himself.

Serala: Sir, the VIR ships are inferior to ours in regards to technology, though only slightly so. But numbers could overwhelm us. We should be prepared for that eventuality as well, should a shooting match become inevitable. I think it would be safe to assume our passing was noted and someone on one of those ships is going to report it. I am only speculating here, but that could have some unexpected consequences for us.

Mei’konda: Yes. Thaankfully, our greatest advantage in avoiding conflict may be speed. I doubt that the Valcarians have anythiing that can catch the Chin’toka.

Raga: We should inquire with the Grand Admiral about assurances that our ship won’t come under fire, or at least have support of her own vessels should her opponents choose to take advantage of our presence.

Lephi: That makes sense. It's best to be prudent out here.

th’Koro / Tal’Aura / Any: Responses

Mei’konda: Clearly, the Grand Admiral does not have control over all VIR forces in the area. But, such an inquiry could serve as a good remiinder that as guests in Valcarian space, it would be a sign of weaakness for her to allow us to fall under attack. I like it.  Lieutenant Levinson, I want you traacking all nearby ships down to the meter as we approach orbit so that we have significaant advance warning if anything is headed our way.

Levinson: Yes, I believe that can be done.

Raga: Any thoughts on the composition of the away teams? I’d suggest that since Esa has some experience searching the ruins that she’d be the best to take point on that away team. Maybe a few scientists and someone from medical to accompany her?

Mei’konda: Commander Serala, Commander Raga, I will be relyiing on you two for away team suggestions until I am fully up to speed on our crew.  Let’s taalk it over in my Ready Room, once we’re done here.  Where will you be the most useful, Mr. Raga?

Serala: Aye, Captain

th’Koro / Tal’Aura / Levinson / Any: Responses

Raga: Wherever you need me, sir. I can pass my recommendations on security measures for the digsite based off of our last trip there, to Commander Kiax.

Mei’konda: Very well, Commander.

Raga / th’Koro / Tal’Aura / Levinson / Any: Responses

It seemed to Serala that the basics had been covered, so she thought it was time to move on to the strategizing. Of course, that was the Captain’s call and she was still trying to figure out how best to work with this new Captain, but she felt she couldn’t go wrong with at least suggesting they retire to discuss the details as he had already mentioned.

Serala:  Well, sir, if that concludes the preliminaries, should we retire to your Ready Room?

Mei’konda / Raga: Response

She rose from her chair, noting that she found it rather comfortable compared to her chair on Atlantis and wondered how that had happened. She was sure nothing would ever feel as good as that chair. Except maybe the CO’s chair.

Lt. Commander Serala
First Officer
Training Team Member
Image Collective Member