JP Lieutenant Commander Chythar Skyfire & Lieutenant JG Lephi: The Proposal Scheme

Lieutenant JG Lephi

Mar 27, 2021, 10:57:58 PM3/27/21
to USS Chin'toka
((Starboard Observation Lounge, Deck 6, USS Chin’toka))

Lephi had been brooding for hours in the observation lounge. She was on her fifth glass of millipede juice, and no closer to figuring out her dilemma. On the face of it, her relationship with Elizabeth was as close to perfect as possible. They were both highly skilled, rapidly rising Starfleet officers, serving on board the same ship. Off-duty, their lives were rich and fulfilling together; she had even met Liz’s parents, even if it had only been a video call. She was flummoxed as to why Liz had turned down her proposal on Risa. In all of her travels, Lephi had never come across the human process for asking someone to marry them; but she was fairly certain that inviting the first guest was the right first step.

She emptied her glass once again and stared out of the window, into the vastness of space. If she couldn't marry Elizabeth, then she was just as cold and empty inside as the other side of the window. She spent another twenty minutes trying to figure out how to ask if Liz had even noticed the proposal, without giving away her intentions. She certainly didn't plan on having a Ferengi wedding, and that was all she knew. As she got up to head to the replicator once more, she noticed Commander Skyfire entering the lounge and a thought crossed her mind.

Lephi: oO He certainly seemed to know what he was doing when he proposed. Maybe he could help Oo. Commander! ::beckoning the man over:: might we share a drink?

Chythar had managed to get one of the rare nights off, where he didn’t have to worry about cooking for Maddy or Lael, as Carter had volunteered to take care of the little ones and Lael was working late. This was his night, and he had just gotten off shift himself but had no desire to go back to the BC to continue working on it. It took him a moment to identify the voice and who it belonged to, and when he did he offered up a smile to the Ferengi.

Skyfire: Of course, lieutenant. One moment.

He returned his attention to the replicator long enough to get his drink, then made his way over to the table.

Skyfire: How’s life been treating you?

The friendly nature of the man was reassuring to Lephi as he approached her at the table. Once he had sat down and settled in, she looked him over briefly before responding. Opening up to people wasn't easy for her, but she knew she was going to need his advice if things were going to work out right.

Lephi: Oh, can't complain, can't complain. You know how it is. How are things with the Brew Continuum, was it?

He did know, all too well, how the life of a Starfleet officer was. In some ways, he almost missed being out of uniform and just as a civilian; but he knew he’d go crazy if he couldn’t practice medicine anymore.

Skyfire: They progress, albeit slowly. Not quite ready to open up to the public yet, but real soon now.

Lephi: I didn't get a chance to test your taster platter at the New Year party. A mistake I hope to rectify as soon as possible.

Her gaze drifted away from the man towards the empty space behind her. Small talk was never really her strong suit with people she didn't know extremely well, but the sensitive subject caused her to hesitate.

Lephi: Congratulations again by the way, on your proposal sir.

He wasn’t good at small talk either, and despite his many lessons with Lael on the subject he always had a hard time breaking the ice It was one of his many failings, but at least Lael never seemed to mind. Though his proposal...he’d gone and made a public spectacle of himself and knew he hated doing that, but the reaction itself was worth it.

Skyfire: Oh, there’ll be plenty of time for that, I’m sure. Just a small sampling of the many offerings from both my uncle’s shop on Earth and my own creations from the Astraeus. And maybe one or two unique blends I worked on last time I visited home. :: He paused and had a sip of his drink. :: Thanks. Has she told you how little I like being the center of attention?

The Ferengi stifled a slight chuckle. Lael had indeed mentioned his desire to remain firmly outside of the spotlight, and it was part of the reason she had been hesitant in reaching out to the man in the first place. Still, Elizabeth was worth any discomfort she had to endure.

Lephi: ::laughs:: She's mentioned it once or twice, I suppose. Unfortunately that display of affection that put you in the center of attention is exactly what I was hoping to talk to you about tonight.

The doctor’s brow furrowed slightly at the comment. He was not usually the sort of guy people went to for romantic advice. He was usually better at breaking people up than keeping them together in that sense. He sipped his drink and nodded slightly.

Skyfire: I see. How can I help?

She paused and thought for a minute. The conversation was going to be uncomfortable for her whether they dove right in, or beat around the bush so she decided to hop right into it.

Lephi: Well as you may be aware sir, I am seeing the acting Chief Medical Officer, Elizabeth Snow. We've been together for a while now, and I thought I asked her to marry me but she just sort of ::pause:: never acknowledged it? I wonder if you might have some insight.

She averted her gaze once again, feeling rather vulnerable. Shifting uncomfortably in her seat, she took a sip from her cup just to have something to draw her attention to.

Lephi: I've not been around humans enough to know their commitment process and I fear I may have done it wrong.

He raised an eyebrow quizzically at the mention the chief was dating his boss. He hadn’t heard that particular piece of information, but his features quickly softened. It must’ve been awkward for Carter to hear that CD and Lael were now an item, and it wasn’t uncommon for shipboard romances to happen. After all, Evan and Mei were making long distance work. He had a sip of his drink and contemplated for a second.

Skyfire: Hmm.

He ran a hand along his beard in contemplation.

Skyfire: Sometimes it does take time for the human brain to fully process. I don’t know Dr. Snow well enough to offer insight as to her mind, but I can tell you that acknowledgment can come in many forms. Actions have a tendency to speak equally as loud as words. My circumstances were unique in that I became listed as Maddy’s adopted father last year, and for several years prior to that had a fondness for Lael without even realizing it was love.

Lephi sat back in her seat and brought her hands in front of her face, steepling her fingers in thought. The pair didn't have several years behind them, nor an adoptive child. They did have a very opinionated Stahma, but she doubted that counted. Leaning forward once more to denote attention to the subject, she spoke again.

Lephi: Ah yes, little Maddy. I hope she is doing well. I thought I knew Liz well enough before I did it, but I invited the first guest to attend the wedding and she just acted like nothing happened! Did that ever happen to you before? A ::pause:: miscommunication between the cultures?

He shook his head as he considered how best to phrase it without naming names or circumstances. In the vaguest possible terms was probably best, for purposes of the story.

Skyfire: Not of me, specifically. I had a couple of patients who were attempting to date a hybrid with whom they were anatomically compatible, but had a few misunderstandings about the hormonal imbalances in the other’s species worked. It took a bit of research before I was able to help them appropriately. So culturally speaking, I’ve never been directly affected...until now. Lael and I will undoubtedly have some challenges ahead, but we will work them out.

He reached under his shirt and pulled out the talisman he wore: a simple gold cross. A subtle reminder of how his faith helped him find purpose.

She smiled at the man as she drank from her cup once more. Lephi could not have anticipated this conversation would go so well, but she was glad they were having it. She was learning a lot of useful information.

Lephi: ::worried:: Have you ever heard of a successful relationship between a human and a Ferengi? If you were dating a Ferengi instead of Lael, how would you want them to propose? I see the two of you together, and I want that more than anything for me and Liz. Heck, I'd give up my business license if it made her happy.

Despite the many years he’d put into Starfleet, he couldn’t say he’d heard of a successful case of Ferengi-human relationships. There were a few cases where a human had roomed with a Ferengi which led to some interesting reports on bite patterns or fighting techniques that he’d read in the SFMJ but this was a new question he didn’t have a ready answer for.

Skyfire: Can’t say I have. I did have a Ferengi captain at one point, though as far as I know he was single. If I were dating one of your species…

He paused again and had a sip of his drink, stalling for words for a moment.

Skyfire: Something simple. Quiet. Show her that you will rise above the stereotype of being a profiteer. Latinum can buy a great many things but never the heart of the one you love.

Lephi slid back her chair quite shocked at the man's words. The notion that there was something out there that latinum couldn't buy was ludicrous to her. She picked up her drink and thought about it for a minute, processing what he had just said. The words echoed in her head.

Lephi: Simple and quiet? Yeah, I like the sound of that. Now, do you know what the going rate is for a human bride these days? If I may be so bold, what did you pay for Lael?

He chuckled slightly at the implication and held out his left hand to reveal the silver band he wore as his engagement ring: a simple silver ring with a golden Celtic trinity knot in the center.

Skyfire: “Going rates” for human brides went out of style a long time ago on Earth. However, I was on vacation in Dublin and I had a pair of matching rings made to symbolize our love. The craftsman who made these said that the simplicity of the design is a reminder that life is more complex. If you’d like me to recommend a few holodeck programs, I can. I can also cook, if that’d help.

She sat quietly, taking in all the knowledge that Skyfire had to offer. His almost encyclopedic knowledge in this area was most impressive to her, and she was quite thankful that he had agreed to sit down. She was starting to see where she went wrong before, and was not keen to make the same mistake.

Lephi: Yes, Lael showed me her ring in the days immediately following your engagement. Quite pretty I should say! So, let me make sure I have this right. I don't pay for her, it should be in a nice romantic setting, there should be rings, and perhaps where I erred the first time around, an actual question should be asked? My goodness that's a lot of steps. I would love to have your cooking when the time comes, your reputation precedes you.

CD nodded to most of it, then shrugged at the “there should be rings” comment. He nodded quietly to the rest and when the Ferengi finished speaking, he resumed conversation.

Skyfire: Rings are one way of doing it. You could also do a necklace, pair of matching ear rings, or something like that. Different cultures, different customs. Maybe a bar of latinum with your names engraved on it, as a thought. As for my cooking, I didn’t realize Lael boasted about my Italian cuisine to the entire department. You should definitely ask the question in order to provoke a response.

Lephi's mouth hung open slightly when he confirmed her earlier suspicions that the question was actually an integral part of the process, being required for an answer. She quickly closed her mouth and picked up her near empty cup for a drink as she spoke.

Lephi: Oh! You know, of course I still have the very first bar of latinum I ever earned. ::excitedly:: Maybe I could engrave our names on that! Oh it's all coming together now, sir. There's a place that is very special to her, which incidentally is already programmed in the holodeck database. I bet she'd love for it to happen there, maybe with a bit of that lovely Italian cooking of yours. Lael has told me how good you are, despite your modesty.

Chythar nodded slightly. He loved hearing when plans came together, and the excited look on Lephi’s face told him that his knowledge about human customs on Earth was more than a little useful. Of course, hearing that his Italian had more than won his lady’s heart but her department as well was added icing to the proverbial cake.

Skyfire: I know a good metallurgist who might be able to handle the engraving, if you like.

Lephi: If you trust him, I trust him.

She raised her glass triumphantly in what she had come to know as a 'cheers' motion, the excitement plainly visible on her face as she began plotting the proposal.

Lephi: With your help, it might just come together, sir!

He nodded again and clinked his glass against hers before taking another swig of his drink. He did have one other thing to add about his proposal.

Skyfire: Some speeches are carefully thought out and planned, always ending with the question “Will you marry me?” and invoking the other party’s full name. Some are quiet, where there is no speech and the ring cleverly hidden in a soup as the other party pours the glass of wine and asks. Some are improvised completely on the spot. The bended knee bit, like I did at the party, went out of fashion with chivalry I believe. My speech was a mix of rehearsed and improvised, with my dog for my practice audience. Of course, there’s any number of possibilities you could choose from.

Hearing the options that she had, her smile grew wider. It would take her some time to figure out the best way to it, but her spirits were significantly higher than they had been at the start of the evening. It had been many moons since a Human had to rescue her, but she was glad for it nonetheless.

Lephi: It has to be just right, I can't rush this decision. Thank you so much for the help sir, you're a lifesaver. I've got a lot of planning ahead of me.

CD nodded again and finished off the last of his drink as he sat back in his chair. It had been a pleasant conversation, very outside his comfort zone but seemingly useful to another crewmember.

Skyfire: Any time. The metallurgist, by the way, is one of our science fellows. Dr. Alentonis.

She paused for a minute, trying to figure out why that name sounded quite familiar to her. Her smile threatened to fade from her face as she made the realization.

Lephi: The scientist working on the Reskari project that Lael invited me to consult on?

Skyfire: Aye, that’s the one. I promise you he’s a damn good metallurgist, despite his tendency to up-play the absent minded professor. Decent chap, a bit of a goof-ball, but has proven himself to me and Lael to be fairly reliable in difficult times.

Lephi: Not so good at first impressions? Sounds like the man I'm thinking of. Do you know anyone else that might could do it?

Skyfire: Aye, his first impression skills tend to slip when he’s talking to an old friend, but I don’t know anyone else on this ship who could give you such rapid turn-around. Name of my friend in Dublin is Jayden O’Heyne.

She considered Skyfire's words. Having anybody on the ship that could work with the turnaround time she was hoping for was an absolute blessing. As much as she got off on the wrong foot with him, she had taken the time to look over his work on the Reskari project and the man did know his metallurgy.

Lephi: Despite my ::pause:: hesitations about him personally, I must admit I was impressed with his work. I think I will just suck up my pride and go see him tomorrow.

Another nod. Since his glass was empty, he had no reason to stare into it and take another sip, but he did lean forward onto the table once again.

Skyfire: You’ll probably find him lending a hand at the BC when he isn’t working in the science lab. Starfleet’s been good for him, but he still sees himself as the reclusive hermit who isn’t good with people.

A slight chuckle escaped her lips as she thought about the few people in her own life who have called her not good with people. She cast a glance downward toward her cup and upon noticing it empty decided to stand.

Lephi: Thank you, sir. I will check there tomorrow. But as for tonight, I've got some tinkering to do with a holodeck program, and a beautiful woman waiting for me at home. That last part I know you can relate to.

She laughed as she spoke. Ordinarily she would not have been so casual with someone of his rank, but she was in such a good mood that she couldn't help it. Besides, they were off-duty anyway.

The doctor gave a nod and stood also, needing to get back and start dinner before Lael got in. At least having the salad done was part of the overall ritual, but he also had to figure out what to cook.

Skyfire: Happy to be of assistance, lieutenant. Let me know if I can be of further help in your diabolical design.

Lephi: I surely will, sir!

She turned and left the man in the lounge as she headed for her office to put together a plan that would make all of her previous plans look like child's play.

END

=============================
Lieutenant JG Lephi
Assistant Chief Engineering Officer
Community History Team Member
Chat Team Member
Wiki Team Member
USS Chin'toka NCC-97187
A239706L10

Lieutenant Commander Chythar Skyfire, MD
Medical Officer / Barista
USS Chin’toka NCC-97187
O239002CS0