Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek: Thoughtful Reflection

Lael Rosek

Oct 12, 2020, 10:46:59 PM10/12/20
to sb118-c...@googlegroups.com

//Chief Engineer’s Log, Stardate 239710.11

It’s taken some time to process what happened that fateful day. I’m only beginning to accept that nothing could have been done to prevent the Captain’s death. Acting commanding officer Serala seems to be of a different mind as does Commander Raga who has stepped in to fill the role of acting first officer. This has left me in the position of acting second officer by default. Given the delicate state of affairs at the moment, I’ve carried out my duties silently.

As expected, this has had an impact on crew morale. Commanders Serala, Raga, and myself are doing the best we can to keep up the crew’s spirits. Captain Thoran will certainly be missed.

From what I understand, there are arrangements being made for a funeral. Out of respect for Serala and Toryn’s close relationship with Captain Thoran, I’m focusing on my duties and taking on as much of the burden of day-to-day operations as I can to allow them the time they need.

//

((FLASHBACK))

((Officer’s Mess, Deck 11, USS Chin’toka))

{{Time Index: Day 27 of Shoreleave, Early Evening}}

It was a time of great celebration. The man’s promotion hadn’t been a complete surprise. He’d been in command of the vessel for over a year from what Lael understood. That was a feat in and of itself. Gradually, the cheering and applause quieted, a momentary stillness falling over the room.

Raga: Speech! ::He took a few steps back and nudged the Human forward gently clearly not caring if he had to warp manifolds later::

Rosek: ::yells:: Speech!

She’d been disappointed when he held up a hand to stop the chants.

Thoran: I am sure you have all heard enough speeches this evening. What I will say is that it has been my honour and privilege to have served as your commanding officer. Now, please continue to enjoy your evening.

Lael had turned to resume the conversation with Lieutenant Levinson when her ears caught the distinct sound of something colliding solidly with the deck plating. As though in slow motion, she turned in the direction of the noise, her eyes widening as she saw the newly-promoted Captain lying on the floor. Before she could open her mouth to speak, Serala was on the scene.

Serala: Medical Emergency! Captain Thoran is down. Doctors Journs and Snow, I need you both over here immediately!

The two medical officers present rushed to the Captain’s side and as tempted as Lael was to do the same, she kept her distance to let the doctors work. In the meantime, she attempted to help control the crowd, redirecting anyone who tried to investigate. She even called for a round of drinks from the man in the corner tending bar, hoping that it would give the officers around Captain Thoran enough time to do their duties.

With her sensitive hearing, even over the noise of the crowd, she was able to catch most of the conversation.

Snow: I have a pulse, but it's faint.

Journs: ::nods:: We have to get him to Sickbay quickly if he’s going to have any chance at all.

That worried her. She knew of the Captain’s injury during the crew’s last mission and had even been witness to a conversation between McKnight, Serala, and Snow all encouraging him to rest and not to overtax himself. Was it possible he’d gone against medical advice and done just that?

Snow: Agreed.

Serala: Let’s get him to sickbay then.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw them loading the Captain onto the stretcher as Serala and Toryn exchanged a few words.

Serala: Commander, take care of our guests please and see that they are taken care of. :: turning to Raga :: Commander Raga, come with me please.

Raga: Of course. ::He said somberly::

Once the Captain was secured, the doctors as well as Lieutenant Commanders Serala and Raga departed for Sickbay. Not long after, she saw Lieutenant Commander Kiax step up where the Captain had stood not long ago, dispensing ribbons and promotions in a fan afe.

Kiax: ::Monotonely:: Everyone, I understand your concern, but the best thing to do right now is not to panic. We’re boasting a pair of the finest Doctors in Starfleet, and a state-of-the-art medical facility, so there is no reason to expect anything other than a full recovery at this time. While we do not currently know the cause of the Captain’s incapacitation, I would suggest for the time being avoiding further consumption of food and drink. I know we’ve been eating and drinking all night, and for that reason Doctor Ennen will be on hand to render assistance if anyone else in the room feels anything less than their best.

Lael felt somewhat helpless in this situation. She was neither a doctor nor a member of the command staff. The best she could really hope to do was provide a distraction and keep the focus of conversation away from Captain Thoran while also providing reassurance and keeping everyone calm. She’d leave the investigation to those best suited for it.

Kiax: It is paramount to the safety and security of everyone in this room that nobody leave until Lieutenants Ganarvuss and McKnight have conducted their checks. I apologise for any inconvenience that this causes. Please, continue to talk amongst yourselves, and should anyone need any other assistance, please do not hesitate to find me.

(( Officer’s Mess, USS Chin’toka ))

{{ Time Index: Day 27 of Shore Leave, Later }}

Everyone fell silent as the doors to the Officer’s Mess parted, allowing Commander Serala entry. By the look on her face, the news was anything but good. She felt the anxiety and concern from many around her, the feelings too strong and overwhelming for even her training. It took a few moments before she could focus on what Serala was saying.

Serala: ...inform you that Captain Thoran passed away from an unknown condition just a short while ago. I was present and can attest that our medical team did everything within their power to save him, but they were not successful. As First Officer, I will be assuming temporary command of the Chin’toka until Starfleet finds us a new Commanding Officer.

The announcement literally took her breath for a moment. He’d seemed so healthy and alive in the Poisedon’s Lounge. Hell, he’d seemed so healthy and alive tonight up there on that stage. Her thoughts went in several directions at once.

First, his death and the wave of shock that seemed to fill the room. No one had been expecting this when the Captain had been taken to Sickbay.

Second, the weight that Journs and Snow must be carrying after their failure to save the man. She knew little of the two officers but that they were extremely dedicated to their duty. Failure was always bitter.

And third, the weight of command now bearing down on Serala’s shoulders. She’d experienced that weight for herself to an extent, but nowhere near what the Romulan woman was now facing. She was solely responsible for every life on this ship.

((END FLASHBACK))

She sat in her office bouncing a tennis ball against the wall and catching it. Bouncing it and catching it. Her brow was furrowed in thought. She’d had her own misgivings about the situation. What a way to die. She’d always thought she’d go out in a blaze of glory, like she nearly had when they’d lost the Montreal. That she’d die for something she believed in. It had gotten her seriously thinking about how she cared for herself.

She was damned if she was going to die because her body gave out on her. No. She’d die in battle against an enemy that threatened the lives of those she cared about. The Klingons were onto something with the concept of an honorable death.

----

Chief Engineer
USS Chin'toka, NCC-97187
I238110RH0