[BACKSIM] Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek: Respect the Chain of Command

Lael Rosek

Oct 25, 2020, 12:45:18 AM10/25/20
to sb118-c...@googlegroups.com

((Conference Room, Deck 3))

{{Time Index: Day 31 of Shoreleave, Morning}}

The group chatted for a moment or two more, exchanging pleasantries before she took her seat at the table and folded her hands together in front of her.

Rosek: ::to Mei'konda:: Is this a readiness update, sir, or have we received orders from the Brass about our next mission?

Raga: Or both? ::He added::

Mei'konda: Both, Commanders.  Everyone, haave a seat.  First, let’s get the formaalities out of the way. ::lifts a PADD and reads:: To Captain Mei’konda Delano, formerly Commanding Officer of USS Astraeus, NCC-70652. As of stardate 239710.18, you are hereby requested and required to assume command of USS Chin’toka, NCC-97187.  Signed, Admiral Luke Reider, Starbase 118 administration and logistics.

She felt a sense of deju-vu as Mei read from the PADD, recalling a similar set of words when he’d been ordered to take command of the Montreal. A smile turned up the corners of her lips. It had been the start of a memorable adventure for them both.

Though those days were long past, she looked back on them fondly. It had cemented a bond between her and Mei that no one and nothing could ever take away. She might not be his FO anymore, but she would trust him with her life and would willingly sacrifice it to keep him from harm’s way.

She chuckled as he glanced toward the ceiling, a quirk of his that she’d always found amusing.

Mei’konda: Computer.  Complete transfer of command codes.  Authorization Mei’konda, theta eight-four-seven.

Computer: Acknowledged.  Acting Captain Serala, please confirm.

Serala: Computer, recognize Acting Captain Serala. Confirm transfer of command codes to Captain Mei’konda Delano. Authorization, Serala Alpha-Two-Eight-Green.

Computer: Transfer complete.  USS Chin’toka is now under the command of Captain Mei’konda Delano.

Seeing Mei’s gaze wander through the sea of faces, she could guess what was going through his mind. This crew had been extremely loyal to Jarred Thoran and she guessed most would see it as a betrayal to accept a new CO. It would feel too much like they were replacing him. The man had left some big shoes to fill, but given her history with Mei, she was more than confident that he’d find his own place in the hearts of the crew. He was a good man and an outstanding officer. Setting the PADD down, he nodded once.

Mei’konda: Thank you, Commander.  Wiith that out of the way, let’s get staarted. I’m sure this will not surprise any of you, but we have been assigned to return to the Par’tha Expanse.

Though she’d expected it, she was glad to hear that they were going back out. First, she’d hardly had the chance to explore the region and second, the crew needed as much consistency as possible right now. At least then it wouldn’t feel like they were adapting to so many new things at once. A sudden change in CO was more than enough.

Levinson: ::Nodding:: It certainly seems like the logical choice, given the crew’s experience in the region.

Kiax: ::Quietly:: We are quite prolific out there, it must be said. But…

th'Koro: Response (If any)

Raga: Well, I don’t know how excited anyone will be to be heading back into the Expanse, but it will be good to be doing something to focus on again.

Rosek: ::nods:: Understandable. But orders are orders.

Mei’konda: Regaardless of anyone’s level of excitement, Commander, that is the task we have been assigned.  Thaankfully, our mission is one of diplomacy. :: He glanced down at his PADD for a moment, then back up. :: We haave been invited to the planet Tibro, by one Grand Admiral Lorrein Dels’an.  Appaarently, they are grateful to this crew for serviices rendered in a priior mission, and Starfleet Command sees this as a good opportunity to both put this ship and crew through a shaakedown cruise.  I agree with their assessment.

It didn’t take a telepath or an empath to see that Commander Serala was less than pleased with the news. While Lael didn’t have the full story, she suspected that the woman had had a less than pleasant experience the last time she was there. From what she’d read of the reports, the Atlantis crew hadn’t exactly experienced a warm reception from the people of Tibro. If she was recalling correctly, Journs and her team had been cornered in a run-down shop and shot at by civilians. That sort of thing certainly didn’t go very far toward fostering goodwill.

She only hoped that the government on Tibro would have considered that when issuing the invitation. The last thing they needed was to cause a diplomatic incident. Her gaze flickered to Serala, hoping the woman’s position as FO would motivate her to not let her personal experiences affect her judgement.

Kiax: It’ll certainly be interesting seeing how the Valcarians react to our new flagship…

Tal’Aura: Their reaction may provide some insight as to their motives as well.

Rosek: ::nods and pauses:: This probably goes without saying. However, it seems that at least the Grand Admiral is grateful for Atlantis's assistance. We need to keep our eyes on the prize so to speak and do all we can to continue building a rapport with the Valcarian empire--regardless of personal feelings.

Snow / Levinson / th'Koro: Responses

Mei’konda: Yes, no doubt.  Commander Raga, the status of the SORT?

Raga: We’re still working on getting the senior staff up to speed on the new SORT procedures and training. But it’s going well. I would say by the time we get back to Par’tha it’ll be done, but I’m assuming we’re going to be pushing the new Mark XV engines?

Lael arched an eyebrow at the mention of the XV engines, a crooked grin crossing her lips. She’d been itching to test out their limits since she’d learned from the schematics that their quaint little Akira-class had been equipped with them.

With the engines themselves being less experimental than they had been when the Juneau had started it’s first trial runs, she expected they would become standard issue on every ship constructed from here forward. Well, the ones that could handle the added pressure on the hull anyway.

Logan: ::Turning to McKnight next to him:: We have new procedures ?

th'Koro: Response

Mei’konda: Yes.  Commander Rosek, expect an order to briing us to maximum warp whiile we are en route.  You know that I prefer to test such thiings before a real emergency arises.

Rosek: ::grins and nods:: Aye, sir. With pleasure.

Raga: As, to my knowledge, I’m one of the few people on this ship who’s traveled faster than Warp Ten. ::He glanced at Levinson:: It’s a unique experience. ::A wry smirk curled his lips:: I’d advise you all don’t eat anything right before we jump to warp.

Mei’konda: I would remiind you all that while these are in faact new engine desiigns, we will still be traveling at sub-transwarp speeds. ::He smiled slightly.:: There is no daanger of spontaneous evolution.

She chuckled, recalling the initial fears when the new engines had been proposed. There had been a lot of dialogue between starship chief engineers and the design teams at the shipyards on that point. Until the last decade or so, anything beyond warp 9.9 had been a pipe dream. Now they were easily pushing past that barrier and into speeds that would have seemed incredible pre-Federation. It was amazing to think of how far they’d come with relation to space travel since the founding by the core worlds.

Levinson: Yes, I am able to confirm the assessment, sir. I did not observe any signs of spontaneous evolution from neither me nor my former crew on the Juneau. ::she paused, her expression stoic as were all Vulcans:: Yet.

Logan: Can I vote for more arms.

Tal’Aura: And what of spontaneous combustion? :: He said with a slight smirk, joking mostly to himself and those in his immediate vicinity. ::

Logan: Well we won't get cold in that case.

Rosek: ::smirks:: Can’t have that, can we? Light a fire under us. Literally.

The lighthearted atmosphere dulled some of the tension that had been building since Toryn’s statement. She knew better than most where things stood on that point. She’d run countless simulations at the shipyards trying to account for some of the initial issues that the Juneau had experienced. Between the feedback they’d received from the ship’s engineers and more extensive testing, she was confident that they had the worst possible scenarios well in hand.

th'Koro: Response

Raga: No. Well. I’m sure they’ve worked things out better now. As long as no warp entities decide to pay us a visit it should be fine. ::He looked at those gathered around the table and waved his hand:: Long story.

Mei’konda: Let’s saave it for laater and continue with the briefing, shall we, Commander?

Levinson: Yes, I believe the story could wait for a later time.

Raga / th'Koro / Ganarvuss: Response

Mei’konda: Thaank you, everyone.  Now, most of you can thaank me now - there will be diiplomaatic functions to attend, and most of you will not haave to be there.

Rosek: oO Damn. And I was wanting to test out my diplomatic disagreeing skills. Oo

Part of her had truly been looking forward to the chance for some diplomatic dialogue, but she supposed there was always next time for that. Her gaze flickered to Mei. Perhaps it was for the best. Her last attempt at a diplomatic resolution had ended in her nearly being killed.

Mei’konda: You will be testiing the Chin’toka’s systems, and we may be assistiing the Valcarians with archaeological digs on their planet.  I realiize that this… Valcarian Empire does not exaactly hold to Federaation ideaals, but this is even more of a reason to learn what we caan of their history.  Questions?

Levinson: Yes, sir. What is the nature of the diplomatic functions, and of the archaeological digs?

Kiax: While I can’t answer the first, the second I do have some experience with. As far as we’re aware – though I did spend most of the time on my back staving off death – the dig sites are investigating ancient Chon ruins on the planet. They were buried deep underground, which is how they remained undiscovered for so long. The one we investigated while there previously seemed to be some kind of cathedral-like structure. Possibly linked to rumours of a cultist group among the Chon, dating back to before the Upper Palaeolithic era of Earth History... Between 13,000 and 10,000 BC. I don’t think we got further than the exterior of it before I… well… “Died”.

Archaeology wasn’t an interest of hers, but something about history had always intrigued her. As little as she understood about that sort of thing, even she had to admit it sounded enticing. Her gaze flickered to the scientists in the room. No doubt they would have a field day with it.

Raga: Do we have any assurances that we won’t find any of our away teams being hunted by special forces units? After what happened last time, I definitely advise our own security personnel to be in every group. Preferably armed. ::He said with conviction::

From what Lael had read, the mission hadn’t gone particularly smooth. However, the Atlantis crew seemed to thrive in chaos. Despite the difficulties they’d faced, the crew had done an admirable job on the circumstances.

Mei’konda: Thank you for the informaation, Commander Kiax.  And no, Commander Raga.  There are no guiidelines in place from Starfleet Command, which means that we will respond to condiitions as they ariise.  Lieutenant Ganarvuss.

She arched an eyebrow. She knew that look and given what Toryn had shared with her about Lieutenant Ganarvuss’s behavior and what she’d witnessed, she had a feeling this was heading for trouble. They’d need biobeds reserved for both of them once this was over. Lael personally hoped that Ganarvuss would be able to hold her tongue well enough that she didn’t give their Valcarian hosts a bad impression.

She didn’t know how Mei and Serala would react, but it she witnessed anything less than complete professionalism, Ganarvuss was in for the lecture of her life regarding the chain of command and the protocol for bringing concerns up to a superior officer.

Mei’konda: Consiidering what happened on Tibro the last time this crew viisited that planet, I want plaans and duty rotations drawn up for deployments in both defensiive operations aboard ship, and on planet for these diplomaatic functions.  The securiity depaartment has jurisdiction aboard ship, and SORT will on planet, for now.  You will be workiing with Commander Raga.

Raga / Ganarvuss: Responses

Logan: They make such a cute couple

th'Koro: Response

Lael held her tongue, not in the least bit amused by the comment. She was very concerned about how the two would manage to work together without killing each other. Certainly, Toryn was a professional and had impeccable self-control. But everyone had their limits and she’d seen Toryn truly angry. It wasn’t something she ever had the desire to be on the receiving end of.

Serala: Captain, with respect, sir. I don’t know if you are aware of my - our - history with that planet, but it was not a good one. Especially for myself. My husband was murdered there and if I am to be honest, I still harbor some resentment about that fact. The man who did it was delirious at the time, but I find it hard to move past that. I would like to request permission to remain on the ship while we are there.

She tensed, hardly able to believe that the words had come out of Serala’s mouth. Her gaze flickered to Mei to see how he was taking it. There was a time and place for that sort of objection or discussion and it certainly wasn’t in the middle of a staff meeting. She would have never dreamed of voicing her personal feelings like that--well, not since the Veritas. She’d learned well about the impact her words had on the people around her. Therefore, she kept things like that to herself and addressed them in the privacy of Mei’s ready room.

Mei’konda: I’ll see what we can do, Commander.  We will taalk about this later, in my ready room.

Lael bit back a wince. Mei was a patient man, but she knew he had little tolerance for those sorts of breaches in protocol. She had to remind herself that Serala was still young and hadn’t mellowed quite like she herself had over the years. Everyone learned at their own pace.

Serala: Response

Raga: We also faced a great deal of xenophobic, anti-Federation sentiment, at least while the cadmium posioning was happening. Do we know if that’s changed now that they know it was not our fault? Since they haven’t bothered to tell their own people that their Emperor is dead, I doubt their forthcoming nature to tell the populace we weren’t to blame for that.

Mei’konda: ::shakes her head:: Since the Atlantis was the maain point of contact between the Empiire and the Federation, no, Commander.  We do not know.  It’s best we assume that no chaange has taken place.

Logan: That's a shame I was looking forward to a parade in my.... I mean our honour

Rosek: ::pauses:: There’s a Terran saying--90% attitude, 10% effort. If we go there carting a bunch of sour grapes, no one is going to buy them. Kill them with kindness. It’s not easy, but hanging onto the past is exactly the sort of thing that prevents alliances. Just look at the Andorians and the Tellarites. Or the Andorians and the Vulcans. ::turns to Thalas:: Present company excepted of course.

Snow/Levinson/th'Koro/Tal'Aura/Kiax/Ganarvuss/Lephi/Serala: Responses

Raga: Well, if they’re split and trying to fill that vacuum, we may come under fire. Does Starfleet Command have an order on our rules of engagement?

She nodded. He had a valid point. They had to be careful that they weren’t stepping into the middle of a civil war. That was a conflict of the Prime Directive waiting to happen and once they were in, it would be harder to back out. The last thing they needed was to look like they were taking sides.

Mei’konda: Nothiing specific, Commander.  That means that we will faall back on standard Starfleet doctrine.  We will defend ourselves.  As far as aggression… ::pauses:: It has been my experiience that the preemptiive application of force can sometiimes solve problems before they grow laarger.  And if I believe fewer liives will be at risk by fiiring first, then we will fire first.

Rosek: ::nods:: Agreed. There’s a fine line between taking precautions and expecting the worst of people. The key is to toe it carefully

Snow/Levinson/th'Koro/Kiax/Logan/Ganarvuss/Lephi/McKnight/Serala: Responses

Mei’konda pushed up from his seat a moment later, PADD held in his right hand.

Mei’konda: Very well, then  You’re all dismissed.  Report to duty staations and prepaare the ship to launch.  We will be doing so tomorrow, at eleven hundred hours.

Rosek: ::nods:: Aye, sir.

She gathered up her PADDs and glanced in Lephi’s direction. They would need another quick meeting so they could be sure everything was going to be as ship-shape for tomorrow as it could be. That would mean triple checks from all team leaders and the wrap up of any major diagnostics and repairs before leaving dry dock. They wouldn’t be able to do at as much once they were traveling at warp.

Any: Responses

Striding toward the exit, she caught Ganarvuss’s eye on the way out and offered what she hoped was a friendly smile. Despite disagreeing with the way the woman responded to professional situations, she believed Ganarvuss was committed to what she felt was best for the crew. Lael herself hadn’t ever been anyone’s yes man, but knew when a superior officer’s decision was final. At that point, she could lodge a complaint with their direct superior (which she only even considered when the decision was downright reckless) or accept it and do her best to prevent a negative outcome.

Besides, if she questioned Toryn’s judgment, everyone else would, too, and it could end up costing someone their life. That wasn’t an acceptable risk no matter which way she looked at it. The Brass chose its leaders carefully and weren’t in the habit of giving someone responsibility they hadn’t proven they could handle.

Stepping into the corridor, she made her way toward Engineering, going over her mental checklist of the dozens of things they still needed to do before they’d be ready for tomorrow’s launch.

----

Chief Engineer
USS Chin'toka, NCC-97187
I238110RH0