Lieutenant Commander Cadfael Peters: The Briefing Part II

Zeph

Jan 28, 2021, 7:23:58 PMJan 28
to sb118-c...@googlegroups.com

OOC: 2 parts to this one because it's 6 pages in length. Apologies about that.

(( Conference Room, Deck 3 - Primary Hull, USS Chin’toka ))

Cadfael shook his head, a newfound enthusiasm at the uncharted wilds of space being mapped. The enthusiasm must’ve creeped into his voice as the next words left his lips.

Azorius: Do we expect any hostility between the two provinces, any war of territorial claim, or rivalry?

Raga: That’s a good question, Ensign. :: Smiling. :: At the moment, both House Beruna and House Barahn are allies to one another. Beruna is the second largest of the Houses, Larokon being the first. The three of which make up the majority of votes in their Council. So, there shouldn’t be any conflicts in that regard, but the Houses aren’t entirely unified for a reason. I’m sure each is always looking to their own interests first and foremost.

Toryn shifted position, resting one arm on the table and the other on the arm of his chair slightly turned in Serala’s direction.

Kiax: For once I actually have one thing to table while we’re all here… Lieutenant Levinson and I have been working on a way to combat some of the uncertainty that travelling beyond the confines of the trade lanes brings, though the technology could use a sounding out before we put it to use… We’ve been exploring the application of low-yield dampening fields to help filter out, beyond the capabilities of the normal sensor filters, some of the background noise that they’re subjected to when we try and push the range of them beyond a kind of medium range. Sort of like squelching RF signals, I suppose. So far, we’ve been able to extend range by about 20,000 kilometres at the cost of quality and fidelity, but it’s given us the ability to garner some more accurate predictions when it comes to establishing a pattern in the stellar debris drift.

Lephi: That's quite impressive, Commander. How are you modulating the dampening fields to achieve that effect?

Levinson / Any: Response

Kiax: The dampening fields are being modulated by two factors; our own outgoing sensor frequencies, and previously obtained data on the incoming background noise from the usual detritus that is floating around the Expanse. By shielding the sensor clusters with the dampening fields, we can essentially screen out the interference. It’s not a perfect solution though. The constantly changing nature of the debris means that predicting what interference patterns to screen out is almost impossible – but, the more data we gather, the better the computer will get at predicting what kind of shifts will occur, which will ultimately give us longer and longer ranges at higher resolutions.

Lephi: Impressive indeed! I for one am looking forward to seeing how you fare with this.

McKnight / Levinson / Snow / Logan / Rosek: Responses

Raga: Commander Logan. I want you and Lieutenant McKnight to make sure our tactical systems are ready and up to anything. Since this is literally uncharted space for us, we can’t know what we might expect. ::He looked to each of them:: We may have had a shakedown against a Valcarian cruiser already, but let’s be sure if we need to we’re prepared for a fight but hope we won’t.

McKnight: Working on that already, boss. I'll request checks on all defense systems.

Logan: Response

Raga: Good. ::He looked to Snow:: I’d like the medical department to be on alert as well. Who knows what we might discover on this, perhaps something that might help advance our medical understanding or medicines. So, I’d like you on the bridge and keeping an eye on our sensors.

Serala / Snow / Any: Response

Kiax: One final note from me – you’ll probably come across the notification in the computer regarding the Type 7 compliment eventually, but I figured I’d tell you all now to be sure. Until further notice they’re grounded while we work out an issue with their sensor suites and auto-guidance processors. Hopefully they’ll be back in action by the time we get to our destination, but for the time being consider using the Nines for whatever plans you submit through mission ops, if you need smaller shuttlecraft. The runabouts and Argos are available as well, if you need larger transports.

Azorius: I believe that with the crew facing new challenges, new prospects and the unknown, now would be a good time for me to begin offering the crew one on one appointments for counselling. I’ll post a schedule later today and the crew can request to see me. This is of course in addition to my mandatory crew evaluations which are planned to occur semi-frequently.

Oh, that. While he definitely wasn’t fond of the idea, having to report every time he transferred was one of the necessary evils of brearuocracy and Starfleet. He suspected that because of his past anger management issues that it was somehow written into his contract as a requirement.

Azorius: Is there anything else I can do to be of use for now, or shall I head to my office?

Any: Response

Peters: :: Turning toward Snow :: Don’t hesitate to contact Dr. Skyfire if you need a hand. :: Turning back to the group. :: Let’s do it.

Rosek: :: Nods. ::  Yes, Commander.

Once all the questions had been answered, Serala looked around at each of the officers.

Serala: Well, if there is nothing else then, let’s get to work.

A chorus of varying “aye, sir” and “yes, sir” responses preceded any breaking off of the teams. Cadfael, with the course corrections, decided that now would be a good time to brush up on procedure from going to a higher warp factor in mid-stream. Just as he prepared to make his way out of the room, he heard someone calling over to him.

Amuro held his bracer up and made sure they're synced. He then remembered something else.

McKnight: Alright. Got work to do. ::He raised his hand to gesture to them to wait.:: Hold on.

Amuro walked over to Peters, pulling out another bracer.

McKnight: Pilot, sir.

Peters: Hm? Oh, hello. What can I do for you, lieutenant?

Amuro tossed the helmsman the spare bracer for him to use, which he catched deftly like a frisbee.

McKnight: You break it, you buy it, sir.

Peters: Understood. Thank you. :: Pausing for a moment to put it on. :: What’s the loan time on this one? Like permanent I don’t have to give it back or short term you’d like it back at some point type thing?

McKnight: Response

Peters: Gotcha. Thanks again.

McKnight: Response

===