Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek: An Unexpected Discovery

Lael Rosek

Feb 27, 2021, 10:53:10 AM2/27/21
to sb118-c...@googlegroups.com

OOC: Sorry for the delay. RL got in the way a bit.

((Shuttle John Lewis, Near Eladar IV))

Levinson: I suppose so. As for the metals themselves, they seem to mostly consist of ones with high melting points - mostly Tungsten and Rhenium. Is this information of any assistance, Commander?

Admittedly, it hadn’t been what she’d hoped to hear. Though at the mention of metals with high melting points, she wondered if maybe there wasn’t something of interest that they just weren’t picking up at this distance, even with the probes. She paused and pulled up the readings that had caught her attention, offering the PADD to Levinson.

Rosek: I know we’re still quite a ways and that the sensors can only be pushed so far. But this is what caught my attention earlier.

Levinson: I see. I did notice its presence, yet did not recognize it.

th’Koro: ::puzzlingly:: That looks advanced… and interesting. What exactly is it and what does it mean?

Rosek: The composition, from what we’ve gotten, looks eerily similar to a metal that was discovered in the Shoals approximately three years ago. Studies since then have shown it might have value to the fleet in shielding from radiation.

Levinson: Yes, I can certainly see where the radiation shielding aspect comes from.

th’Koro: Oh wow… So this could be a breakthrough for it if we manage to look into the composition further.

Snow: Wow that's certainly something.

Rosek: ::nods:: The thing is we’ve only found it on Pellecia. Doesn’t bode well for widespread use.

It probably bordered on taking advantage of the situation, but they were part of a scientific survey team and they were simply waiting for orders. Surely it couldn’t hurt to look into it.

Levinson: Indeed. It is evident its presence was not a localized phenomenon.

th’Koro: If this is what you think it is, we certainly need to look into it.

Snow: Indeed we do.

Levinson: ::Nodding:: Indeed. Both the prospect of the metal and its presence are highly curious. I believe it would be of high benefit for us to pursue this opportunity.

There was no question of its potential. Several individuals outside of herself had confirmed that fact. However, as all promising advances did, her development of the Reskari alloy had run into more than a few snags along the way. Her frustration at these obstacles had forced her to put the project aside in favor of more immediate needs.

Rosek: o0 Baby steps. 0o ::shrugs:: Might as well while we’re up here waiting for word from Commander Serala.

th’Koro: So this composition, there’s endless possibilities. Medicine, ship shielding, scientific. How do you want us to proceed, Commander?

Rosek: ::pauses:: If there’s a way to modify sensors to detect this specific composition, we can possibly locate any deposits that might be present. This will help us determine just how lucky we’ve gotten as far as supply.

th’Koro: Certainly, ma’am. I’ll get right on it.

Levinson: I do have a question, Commander. Was the metal found on Pellecia in a higher or lower concentration than this current encounter?

Rosek: I’m hoping higher. It could resolve our supply issue and allow for more research on how to, at the very least, produce a suitable isotope. Granted, it’s not ideal because diluting the metal at all will reduce its effectiveness. But surely, we can find a happy medium.

She returned her attention to the console in front of her, brow furrowed. Was it unreasonable to hope that this world could be the answer to the primary problem she was currently experiencing with her research? They had enough to get by, but what would happen when they’d mined all they could from Pellecia?

The thought of stripping the planet bare didn’t appeal to her, even in the name of research.

Levinson: Would anyone like something to drink?

Snow: I'll take a glass of water if you don't mind.

th’Koro: Responses

Lael shook her head, declining the offer, her fingers flying over the console. She was far too deep in her duties to be concerned with her body’s needs at the moment. If she got desperate, there was always a ration pack. They certainly had them in spades in the shuttle’s upper compartments. Not the most appetizing selection, but it would do in a pinch.

Levinson: Curious. It appears some of the asteroids contain high concentrations of dilithium.

Snow: Really?

She turned toward Noa, arching an eyebrow. Dilithium? Out here? Once the Brass got word of that, they’d be chomping at the bit to obtain mining rights. While technically the asteroids as far as she knew didn’t belong to the people of this world, it was within the boundaries of their space. With these people being so new to warp travel, she wondered if they’d ventured far enough from their world to know just what a latinum mine of dilithium they were sitting on.

She’d love to get a look at one of their vessels, curious if it was run by some sort of dilithium design like theirs were. Of course, in her many years as an engineer, she’d seen vessels powered by things other than dilithium. Even a couple of ion-powered drives.  They were rare as they weren’t nearly as conducive to long-distance travel, but they existed nonetheless.

Like the Warp XV drive, the fleet’s Quantum Slipstream Drives relied on a dilithium-based reactor to power them. From what she understood, the use of QSD ate into their dilithium supply a bit more than conventional warp travel. She personally was of the mind to hold QSD in reserve for true emergencies or travel to destinations so far away that they couldn’t be reasonably reached any other way.

th’Koro: Responses

Snow: Are you detecting anything else?

th’Koro / Levinson: Responses

Snow: Hmm.. that's interesting.

th’Koro / Levinson: Responses

Lael opened her mouth to reply, but was cut off by the familiar beeping on an incoming transmission. She turned to Zarax, arching an eyebrow, before she entered the series of commands that would open the channel.

Raga: =/\= Chin’toka to John Lewis. Be advised that our survey has revealed significant deposits of dilithium in the asteroids around the system. Ensign Nar compared it to Bajor when they began developing their early warp tests. =/\=

Rosek: ::nods:: =/\= That was our assessment as well. Makes me wonder about the engine design of their vessels. I was reviewing the sensor readings from the launch and it looks like they used less power output with greater velocity. Of course, my basis for comparison in the Phoenix. So that may not be saying much nowadays. =/\=

Snow / th’Koro / Levinson: Responses

Nar: Response

Peters: =/\= There are also unknown elements, a few common ones the database identified, and something called Reskari as well. =/\=

Her eyebrows arched at that. They’d been in the process of scanning for it...but the Chin’toka had found deposits as part of an on-the-fly sensor sweep. It made her wonder if it was just a happy accident or if the shuttle’s sensors didn’t need a thorough diagnostic and tweaking when they got back.

Her fingers flew across the console in an attempt to locate the supply the officer was talking about.

Logan: response

Raga: =/\= With such a resource-rich system, I’ve no doubt these Eladarans are going to be having many new visitors in the future. I’ve asked Ensign Nar to notate the quantity, quality and location of all the dilithium. It might prove useful if you get clearance to land, to inform the locals of the potential risks to their system. And the potential bright future they could have. ::He paused a moment:: Not to mention their bargaining power for trade. =/\=

Rosek: ::grins and nods:: =/\= I was just thinking that myself. When they get wind of this, the Brass will likely be sending a near-constant stream of delegates and ambassadors to secure mining rights. Frankly, I’m stunned that the Romulans haven’t stumbled onto this little gem yet. =/\=

Snow / th’Koro / Levinson: Responses

Nar: Response

Logan: response

Raga: =/\= Chin’toka out. =/\=

Toryn cut the comm and Lael was left with her team, having to actively fight not to shift in her seat from the excitement. This was a major discovery and she got the opportunity to be at the forefront of it. A rare career opportunity and another feather in her cap as far as the Brass was concerned.

Of all the resources their scans had picked up, the Reskari excited her most. Hopefully, it would be enough to validate her efforts with an isotope and an alloy. Hell, it might just make her ship-lining proposal practical enough to catch the eyes of the uppers at Command. If she could make this work, there was a good chance she and those who had worked so tirelessly beside her on this project would cement themselves into Federation history.

Snow / th’Koro / Levinson: Responses

Rosek: ::grins:: Here I thought I was eager to get down there before. This seals it. I understand that diplomacy and first contacts can’t be rushed but… o0 Hurry up, Serala! 0o

Snow / th’Koro / Levinson: Responses

Rosek: ::to th’Koro:: Let’s you and I see if we can tweak our sensors to get more detailed readings on those Reskari deposits.

th’Koro: Response

She then turned to the other two officers.

Rosek: Lieutenants Snow and Levinson, she what else you can find out about those dilithium concentrations and compile a report for Commander Raga and his team aboard the Chin’toka.

Snow / Levinson: Responses

Rosek: ::rubs her hands together eagerly:: All right, people. Let’s get to work. ::grins:: No sense in wasting time that could be used productively.

Snow / Levinson / th’Koro: Responses

----

Chief Engineer
USS Chin'toka, NCC-97187