Lieutenant Commanders Chythar Skyfire & Lael Rosek: The Terrible Liar

Zeph

Jan 6, 2021, 8:34:45 PM1/6/21
to sb118-c...@googlegroups.com

(( Rosek & Skyfire’s Quarters, USS Chin’toka ))

{{ Time Index: Day 9 of Shore Leave }}

Chythar had been aboard now for a couple days, and had been quietly working on his impending changes to the soon-to-be-grand-opening of the BC on the Chin’toka. Today was different, though. Today, he was seated at his desk and flipped through a series of images on the screen before his gaze landed on one that he thought was perfect.

The ring itself was a plain silver band with a golden Celtic trinity knot in the center. Chythar appreciated fine things, and had even managed a short trip to Ireland with his half-sister to obtain some true Irish coffee samples for his uncle’s shop. He glanced sideways at the canine on his desk.

Skyfire: What do you think of this, Devlin? You think she’ll like it?

Devlin, being incapable of actual speech in anything greater than tailwags, barks, yips, and licks, managed a puppy-grin and licked the screen, thus giving it the Devlin Pawprint of Approval™. Chythar chuckled slightly and nodded as he tapped the display once.

Skyfire: This one. I’ll get back to you with ring sizes once I have them.

The display changed from the image of a ring to a somewhat stocky yet somewhat portly older gentleman in his late 80s, grey haired with a tinge of red around the edges and a pair of spectacles just above his goateed smile.

O’Heyne: Aye, that’s a popular choice, laddie. Sometimes the most beautiful sentiment is said tae be in the simplicity of the design as a reminder that life itself is more complex.

Skyfire: Agreed. Thanks for your patience, Jayden. Ah’ve been considerin’ it for some time now.

O’Heyne: Don’t wait too long tae make yer move, or the sun’ll set on that ship so fast you’ll be needin’ warp ten tae catch it.

CD chuckled slightly. He understood how that could easily backfire on him if he delayed, and heard the door open behind him. Devlin jumped off the desk and bounded toward the door to see who it was and offer himself up for pettings.

Skyfire: Aye, point taken. I’ll be in touch.

She’d just concluded another long shift and was exhausted. A sonic shower was sounding damn amazing right about now. The doors parted to reveal Chythar sitting in front of a monitor. She caught the tail end of the conversation and her brow furrowed.

L. Rosek: Chythar?

CD glanced up toward the door, then back toward the screen.

Skyfire: :: to Jayden :: Thanks again, Jayden. I’ve gotta run.

O’Heyne: Understood. Take care of yourself, laddie.

As the screen clicked off, Chythar returned his attention to Lael. It was going to be an amazing day when that came, and he knew now that there was no other he’d rather be with. All his previous attempts at romance paled in comparison. Chase, Debra, and even Alex, did not possess the same degree of magic that his relationship with Lael seemed to.

Skyfire: Hey, love. How was your day?

L. Rosek: ::arches an eyebrow:: Long. But don’t think that’s going to get you out of this, Skyfire. What are you up to?

He’d remembered to take at least one dose of the neural blocker, just enough to the point where she wouldn’t be able to tell if he was blatantly lying. After his last round of addiction, he didn’t want a repeat experience. He also had enough mental shields in place that his thoughts wouldn’t betray him if he slipped up. He didn’t want to tell her quite yet. He didn’t want to stall for time necessarily, but one couldn’t hurry art.

Skyfire: Out of what? I was ordering some supplies from my Irish coffee supplier.

She wasn’t quite sure she bought it, but she wasn’t in the mood for a disagreement. Not that they had many of those anyway. It was one of the things that had always been different with them than with her other boyfriends. They could disagree without it turning into massive drama. Her expression softened and she smiled, crossing the room to wrap her arms around his neck.

L. Rosek: ::murmurs:: So. It’s just us for a bit. You and me. Maddy’s volunteering in the nursery again. ::brushes her lips against his and smirks::

Skyfire: Nothin’ wrong with that. Maddy has become quite the people person in my absence, ah see. Unlike me, of course.

Behind them, little paws made their way back into the room as Devlin barked playfully. He wanted to play.

L. Rosek: ::chuckles:: You have a bad habit of underestimating the impact you have on people. ::smiles:: The impact you have on me. You’ve loved her. From day one, you’ve made her feel safe. ::murmurs:: As if I wasn’t in love enough with you already. That sealed it.

Her words were true, and they made him blush a bit. He did have a tendency to underestimate the impact his presence had on those he called friends. His life was greatly enriched by their presence, even his romantic misadventures had been a part of what he perceived was the overall plan for his life. As of this moment, he had faith that the grand design would unfold such that he would eventually work on that character flaw of his. He managed a weak nod and pulled her into a gentle kiss, as though hoping it would encompass his desire to draw attention away from that particular trait.

L. Rosek: ::smirk:: You’re stuck with me, Skyfire.

Skyfire: I know. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

END

===

Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek, Eng.D.

Lieutenant Commander Chythar Skyfire, MD

Chief Engineer

Medical Officer / Barista

USS Chin’toka NCC-97187

I238110RH0