Lt Commander Serala: Into the Unknown, pt. 1

Serala

Jan 26, 2021, 6:27:46 PMJan 26
to USS Chin'toka

(( Captain’s Ready Room, Deck 3 - Primary Hull, USS Chin’toka ))

Serala sat behind the desk, still marvelling that she was there. The Captain had been called away for a diplomatic mission and had left her in charge. Although Serala knew that such a thing could happen, she never really expected it to. Now, here she was. The other thing she had struggled with was whether to use this office or not. After all, she had an identical one on the port side of the bridge, a perfect mirror to this one. But she finally concluded that if she was going to be in charge, she should show that to the crew, not leave them wondering how committed she was to the position. Not that anyone who knew her would ever doubt that.

After the Captain had figuratively handed her the keys, she had promptly reached out to Toryn Raga. He was the ship’s Second Officer, so it was only logical that he should be her Acting First Officer. Friendship aside. He was quite competent and she had every confidence that he would be able to handle the added responsibilities. Lael Rosek had the benefit of previous command experience, having been a First Officer herself for a time, and Esa Kiax had also stood out as a good candidate. Serala had been very impressed by her since she first arrived on Atlantis. She was definitely going to make a fine leader. But what set Toryn Raga apart in her mind, was his experience with this crew, and his own experiences. Not to mention that she had always had a good working relationship with him, even aside from their friendship. And then there was the fact that he was the Second Officer to begin with. All of that just seemed to make him the most logical choice in her mind.

They were just finishing their mapping of the Krotar system, and had gathered a great amount of data for analysis. She looked back down at the communication she had received from Starfleet Command a short while earlier. It was new orders. Thankfully, they seemed rather benign, but with this crew, and in the Par’tha Expanse, it was never safe to assume anything was benign.

oO Do try being a little less Romulan, Serala. Paranoia is not an attractive trait. And it definitely doesn’t look good on a commanding officer. Oo

It was Stevok’s voice again. She wondered why everytime her conscience spoke to her, it was in his voice, but she just assumed it was due to her missing the sound of him.

She reached over and tapped the comm button, opening a channel to Toryn.

Serala: =/\= Serala to Commander Raga. =/\=

Raga: =/\= Response =/\=

Serala: =/\= Assemble the senior staff in the deck 3 conference room for a briefing in two hours. Oh, and have that Ensign from Science...Nar Ylsin, I believe his name is...have him join us as well. =/\=

Raga: =/\= Response =/\=

Serala: =/\= Yes, we have orders. Another mapping mission, but I’m not going to complain. I will tell you more at the meeting. =/\=

Raga: =/\= Response =/\=

Serala: =/\= Very good. I will see you then. Serala out. =/\=

That taken care of, she rose from behind the desk and headed onto the bridge. As she crossed the bridge to the Commanding Officer’s chair, she looked over at the helm.

Serala: =/\= Mr. Peters, set new course two-six-three mark zero-one-zero. Speed, warp five. Engage when ready. =/\=

Peters: =/\= Response =/\=

Lt. Commander Serala
First Officer/Acting CO
Training Team Member