Lieutenant Carter Greyson: Of Chiefing and Conversation Redux Part II: Pearls of Wisdom

Zeph

Feb 19, 2021, 12:45:42 AM2/19/21
to sb118-c...@googlegroups.com

OOC: All thoughts belong to the character.

(( Main Engineering, Deck 14, Warp Core Anti-Matter Injector Bay, USS Chin’toka ))

Carter was up to his ears in tools and elbow grease, staring at the glitchy monitor he’d been trying to fix for what seemed like the last forever. The only thing he hadn’t done was try swapping out the display, and he blew a strand of hair from his face indignantly as he stared at it.

Greyson: Don’t think you’ve won, you stupid device. I will fix you.

He was still staring at it when he heard footsteps come up behind him, and grow closer. Closer, and closer still. Though he couldn’t tell who they belonged to, the footsteps stirred him from his argument with the inanimate object and he turned around to discover the assistant chief making her way over to him with a smile on her face.

Lephi: Lieutenant. Always nice to see your face.

The conversation that they’d last had in Lael’s office had unnerved him a bit, though he tempered that with the knowledge that he too was once an ambitious assistant chief engineer. The memories seemed to want to come back to haunt him, but he quickly pushed them to the side and re-focused his energies and thoughts to the here and now.

Greyson: Hey, chief. What’s the word?

Lephi: Where are we at with the repairs? Are we going to be in good shape in case we're needed?

Greyson: I’d say we’re good, yes. Apart from this one glitchy monitor. Only thing I haven’t done is replace the blasted thing, but we are ready to face whatever comes back from the surface and whatever Mr. Peters does to the engines.

Lephi: Good, good. I trust you understand the importance of this going well for me, how much it means to me that Commander Rosek see how capable I am?

He remembered this all too well, as a memory from his past rose to the surface unbidden from his days as a loud-mouthed assistant chief.

(( Flashback -- Of Chiefing and Conversations Part I & Part II -- SD 239406.20 ))

Greyson: I understand how important it is to make a good impression, yes. I also recall a few conversations with my superiors on the subject of becoming chief and away missions, having been where you are. Been where Commander Rosek is now.

Her posture seemed to relax a bit when he said that, and she grinned a little. Small enough though to perhaps mimic a cheshire cat.

Lephi: Say, Lieutenant ::pause:: you've got experience and you've done this before. Any chance you have some pearls of wisdom you could share with an eager Junior Grade LT?

Greyson: I can take a break for a few minutes. Shall we continue this conversation in private?

The small grin turned into a huge one, and he swore he’d seen that look before on some of his poker-playing friends at the academy. Though honestly, it had been years since he attended a game at this point and he would probably be unable to guess what her cards were if they were at a game right now. He vaguely recalled starting his conversation with commander Walker aboard the Veritas in a similar fashion.

Lephi: That would be wonderful. I know I'm acting Chief in Commander Rosek's absence, but it still feels strange using her office. Let's talk in mine down the hall instead.

Greyson: Lead the way, chief.

Lephi led the Lieutenant the short distance from main engineering into her office, stopping at a replicator in the lounge before continuing into the office.

(( Lephi’s Office, Deck 14, USS Chin’toka ))

Lephi: Drink, Lieutenant?

Lephi was the first Ferengi to offer him a drink who wasn’t tending a bar. Though he admitted to himself he could probably use a pick-me-up from the caffeinated category in order to figure out what was wrong with that stupid monitor he hadn’t replaced yet.

Greyson: Harrington’s raktajino blend, if you don’t mind.

As she replicated the drink, she motioned for Greyson to enter the office. He did so and accepted his drink before taking a seat. She also sipped at hers before she broke the silence between them.

Lephi: Here you go, Greyson. A chance to bestow some wisdom upon grateful ears. ::chuckle:: Pretty big ones too.

Greyson: Thanks for this. :: Nodding at the pun. :: I thought you were referring to the hearing devices for a moment, which I also possess.

Lephi: Anything in particular that you think is pertinent? I recognize that time is short and this isn't the most convenient time, I appreciate you taking this time.

Greyson: Oh, no problem. Let’s begin, shall we?

He took the time to recount the specifics of his conversation with Luna and how horrible the approach was, followed by his eagerness to find his own command style. He explained how horrible he was at putting words together in coherent sentences, and how he was part of the SAR team aboard the Veritas, which accompanied the explanation to the chief’s significant other as to why she was stepping off the vessel in addition to convincing the captain and the chief of the SAR department why he’d be replaced on the team (albeit temporarily). The safest place to learn, Luna had told him, was the ship itself, and she had never shared the condolences letter portion of her job when an engineering officer was killed in the line of duty in her engine room.

Greyson: Any questions?

Lephi: Response

He considered his response carefully and had a sip of his drink before he spoke. The possibilities of how best to answer were numerous, but he wanted to clear up any misunderstandings that may have arisen during the team meeting.

Greyson: Honestly? You’re the first non-barkeep Ferengi I’ve met since leaving the academy. When I made the offer during that team meeting, I wasn’t attempting to insult your ability or your intelligence. I’d had my share of running off to do a thing while the boss stayed behind to make sure everything was smooth, and I didn’t want to deprive you of a learning opportunity. Luna had never been an assistant chief, so most of what she was telling me seemed based on her own experience. I’ve had the advantage of being in all three positions, including a smattering of acting chief for a while.

Lephi: Response

Greyson: I suppose the final piece I have is: don’t rush it. Take the time to practice the skills, but don’t be disappointed when you’re not on the away team.

Lephi: Response

===

Lieutenant Carter Greyson

Engineer