Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek: Finally!

Lael Rosek

Mar 3, 2021, 11:05:26 PM3/3/21
to sb118-c...@googlegroups.com

OOC: Leaving out some of Noa and Elizabeth’s exchange is intentional since Lael is trying to focus and won’t be hearing much of what they’re saying XD Darned ADD.

((Shuttle John Lewis, Near Eladar IV))

th’Koro: Commander, is there any possibility that the properties of the Reskari are interfering with our sensors?

A wry, unamused grin twisted her features. The radiation-blocking property of the metal was both a gift and a curse. Not only did it block radiation, but it also blocked most kinds of scanning devices and sensors as well. She remembered the lengths they’d needed to go to with the Reskari box during their initial scans on the Veritas. They had yet to, even after all these years of study, find a way around that little feature. They’d just have to do their best with what they had.

Rosek: Highly likely given what we know about it.

Behind her, Elizabeth and Levinson worked on their task. Her gaze dropped to the console in front of her. She was so eager to investigate first had that her ADD was getting the better of her. Focusing on her breathing, she did as she’d practiced hundreds of times over the years, tuning out any extraneous noise with the exception of Thalas talking to her.

th’Koro: We would need to make a couple of adjustments to the sensors ::pointing:: here and… here. I believe we could then get some more detailed scans of the metal.

Rosek: ::nods:: Here’s hoping. But from the little I’ve been able to tell, these deposits are sending the sensors even more haywire than usual. Makes me wonder if they aren’t thicker than usual or if there’s not something else interfering with the readings.

th’Koro: It appears there are substantial deposits of the metal in asteroids (3487) 2398 DH7 and  (2187) 2398 DV10 about 100 kilometres off the port of our bow. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were more. Do you see anything else, Commander?

Her brow furrowed as her fingers slid deftly over the console, checking the various data sources from the incoming readings. While some types such as overall width and length of the deposits were improved, they still weren’t seeing an accurate reading on the depth. However, if the area was anything to go by, they were seeing a fairly significant source...moreso than even what they’d found on Pellecia.

Rosek: I’m still having trouble with a depth reading and details about the composition.

th’Koro: From what you have saw of the deposits on Pellecia, are these smaller or larger?

Rosek: ::frowns slightly:: Based on area alone, I’d say larger. But the overall amount could change based on depth and thickness of the deposits. ::turns to th’Koro:: Either way, I’d say we’re looking at a significant amount.

th’Koro: Yes, ma’am. I would hazard a guess that if Starfleet wanted to industrialize these deposits for larger use within the fleet, they could.

She shook her head. Frankly, that was what concerned her. It would be one thing to get samples for deeper study to figure out how they could manufacture their own isotope. But to take advantage of these people? There were a select few in Starfleet who wouldn’t think anything of convincing this world to trade its natural resources away for a song.

Rosek: My goal, Lieutenant, isn’t to take every last bit of it. Rather, I’d like to secure enough samples to compare with the Reskari found on Pellecia and see if we can create an isotope of our own.

She’d just pulled up the readings from the Pellecia Reskari when Zarax piped up beside her.

Zarax: Commander Rosek. I don’t mean to interrupt your fascinating study of rocks, but it appears we have guests.

Turning to the Ensign, she arched her eyebrows. Under any other circumstances, she might have been tempted to pull the woman to the side for a little chat. But as they were in a shuttle with prying ears, she’d let it slide for now. It wasn’t worth all of the fuss anyway. However, she’d be keeping her ears open and if the woman crossed a definite line before Serala gave the order, she wouldn’t be shy about giving her a semi-public warning about her tone.

Snow: Guests?

Rosek: Oh? I wasn’t aware we were expecting anyone.

Zarax: Caraadians, Commander. They are speaking with the Chin’toka. I haven’t tapped into the transmission, but I did think you needed to know about this.

Her brow furrowed. She’d read about the Caraadians, but couldn’t recall having met one. From the maps she’d studied, it did seem they were far from home. Part of her wondered which house, but that was beside the point.

Zarax: Ma’am, I know you were thinking of having me come down with the team, but in light of this, I think it might be wise if I stay here with Crewman James. My speciality is small craft tactics, and this is where I could be of the most use. Mister James can pilot if we get into a jam.

Somehow, she managed to restrain an arched eyebrow. What had she said, she wondered, to give the Ensign that impression? She’d mainly had Crewman James come along in case there was trouble in orbit. More hands and all that. Just the thought of leaving Zarax up here in the shuttle in unknown territory made her uneasy.

However, she wasn’t interested in calling the woman out on her assumption in front of everyone. So she simply allowed it to stand. After all, it wasn’t the end of the world. Though after this mission, she’d likely be having a small chat with the woman about the confusion and how she could be more clear about her intentions in the future.

Rosek: ::nods:: A good point, Ensign. Besides, I’m certain Crewman James will be grateful for the extra hands.

th’Koro: I agree… you always have the most useful suggestions.

Zarax: Whatever you think is best, ma’am.

She brought her hand up to conceal a grin. Oh, yes. This was going to be an entertaining post-mission conversation. Mentally shaking the thought from her mind, she refocused her attention on their newest complication.

Levinson: What could bring them into this system?

th’Koro: Lieutenant, I would hazard a guess and say the dilithium as well as the other metals. It is a rather… rich system.

Rosek: ::grins unamusedly:: Either way, I would say they didn’t hail the Chin’toka just to say ‘hello’

Snow: It’s possible they’ve come across the same discovery as we have.

Levinson: ::nodding:: Yes, that is certainly a highly plausible option.

Likely the most reasonable assumption. Though she did wonder if the Caraadian sensors were having just as hard of a time getting depth and thickness measurements on the Reskari as theirs were. Hell, she wondered if they even had any clue what they were sitting on top of with regard to the Reskari. She only knew because she’d devoted the last few years to intensive study of the element.

th’Koro: ::slightly under his breath:: Let us hope the Chin doesn’t get angry at them.

Rosek: ::shakes her head:: Commander Raga will only fire or attack if he sees no other recourse. As long as the Caraadian vessel doesn’t start firing, things should stay fairly neutral.

With the concern over the Caraadian ship fading temporarily into the background, they returned to their scans, though it seemed the others were more fascinated with the dilithium deposits. She shook her head. Understandable. Their ships were fueled by dilithium and without fuel, it was moot for the ships to be protected and lined.

Snow: Did the scans pick up anything more? ::to Levinson::

Levinson: I have set them to scan the dilithium in more detail. And… it appears the dilithium here contains low percentages of rarer isotopes of dilithium. I am uncertain as to what that could tell about it.

th’Koro: I would say that it could tell us the Dilithium is in more places than just where we are across the system.

She arched her eyebrows. This system was a rare treasure indeed. As uncommon as it was to find such large concentrations, it was even rarer to find this level of diversity isotope-wise.

Rosek: We could be looking at a source of some of our more commonly used isotopes.

Levinson: I am not entirely certain, yet I will not rule out any option as of yet.

th’Koro: Certainly, Lieutenant. I second that.

Snow: Response

Levinson: ::nodding and turning to Commander Rosek:: Indeed. What shall our next step be, Commander?

Her brow furrowed in thought. There really wasn’t much more they could do until they obtained permission to head to the surface.

Snow: Response

th’Koro: I…

Kiax: =/\= Kiax to Shuttlecraft John Lewis? =/\=

th’Koro: =/\= Shuttlecraft John Lewis here, Commander. =/\=

She glanced at Thalas as he answered the incoming hail, arching her eyebrows. Given all of the interruptions, she’d hoped to at least get a word or two in.

Rosek: =/\= Go ahead, Esa. =/\=

Kiax: =/\= Positive response from our contact here on the ground, and Commander Serala has managed to secure permission for you to beam down… Location and further instructions to follow. Standby. =/\=

Rosek: oO Oh, thank God! Oo

Not that the results they were getting weren’t fascinating. But she’d been yearning from the start just to get down planetside and physically start exploring. Nothing could beat the sensor data one got from their own five senses, after all.

th’Koro: =/\= That’s good to hear, Commander. Is there anything else? =/\=

Kiax: =/\= Request from Representative Tych – Avoid contact with civillian Feladoni and those of the Mekra’fari species. There’s a nature preserve near our location that should prove remote enough for a suitable beam-in site. =/\=

“Avoid contact with civilian Feladoni and those of the Mekra’fari species.” Well, hell. She supposed she could understand not wanting to incite a public panic. After all, not everyone on Earth had reacted to the first contact with the Vulcans as well as Cochrane and his group had. Organizations like Terra Prime had prayed on the fears of less-educated people.

In Lael’s opinion, it was just plain self-centered and arrogant for anyone to assume humans were the only civilized species in this broad universe. Though racial purity had for the most part gone out the window with Hitler and his regime, fractured groups still existed even today. Thankfully, the groups had been driven underground and hadn’t been heard from in at least a few centuries.

Snow/Levinson: =/\= Response =/\=

Kiax: =/\= Expect possible contact from local Feladoni military personnel for assistance, should you need it. =/\=

Rosek: ::nods:: =/\= Understood. Any data you can send on their military leaders would be appreciated. =/\=

Snow/Levinson: =/\= Response =/\=

Kiax: =/\= That’s all for the moment, but I’ll let you know if there’s anything else. Kiax out. =/\=

th’Koro: =/\= ::with a humorous tone:: Have an enjoyable time, Commander. =/\=

The moment the comm cut, her mind was racing. They had clearance. She ran through the mental checklist of items in her pack, making sure that she wasn’t forgetting anything. A wry, unamused smile crossed her lips. No matter how thorough she tried to be, there always seemed to be an item that she wished she had.

th’Koro: So… down to the planet?

Rosek: ::grins and nods:: That’s what we’ve been waiting for all this time.

Snow/Levinson: Response

th’Koro: The coordinates for the landing site do appear to be in a place the… ::saying it slowly as not to stumble:: Feladoni call the Ladonnik Nature Preserve. The Coordinates are 12 degrees North and 23 degrees West. Indeed not far from the original teams landing position…

Rosek: ::turns to James:: Get us queued up, Crewman.

James: :nods as his fingers fly over the console:: Yes, ma’am.

Rosek: ::to Zarax:: Keep her steady, Ensign. If we need a bailout, we’ll give you a shout.

She didn’t give the woman a chance to reply before she was moving toward the back of the shuttle to retrieve her pack.

Rosek: All right, team. Is everybody ready?

th’Koro/Snow/Levinson: Responses

Rosek: ::grins and nods:: Then let’s do this.

Everyone got into position with their things and Lael turned to James.

Rosek: Energize.

Slowly, the interior of the shuttlecraft faded around them, the group enveloped by a familiar bright blue shimmering light. Her last thought before the molecular decompression process began was that she hoped this place wasn’t the equivalent of an iceball. She hated the cold.

----

Chief Engineer
USS Chin'toka, NCC-97187
I238110RH0