Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek: Follow Their Lead

Lael Rosek

Mar 8, 2021, 2:42:24 AM3/8/21
to sb118-c...@googlegroups.com

((Ladonnik Nature Preserve, Eladar IV))

They rematerialized moments later in an open field within the preserve. Though it was a bit more humid than Lael preferred, at least it wasn’t the inside of a disease-ridden icebox. She shuddered at the memory, forcing it from her mind. Even all these years later, it gave her anxiety just thinking about it.

She pulled her tricorder from its holster, feeling the conspicuous absence of her phaser at her side. But orders were orders and Serala was right. Coming onto somebody’s turf carrying weapons was a sure way to start a fight. As reluctant as she’d been about the order, she had every intention of following it both letter and spirit. Peace was the goal here and she was determined to keep it.

Rosek: Anyone getting anything? Do we have more Reskari or dilithium deposits?

Levinson: Only trace amounts of both in the area, Commander. That mountain, ::She pointed at the mountain:: however, appears to have a larger deposit of dilithium.

Snow: I can confirm that, Commander.

Lael nodded. At last, they were planetside and could get more than a general location. Looking down at her tricorder, her readings served as yet a second confirmation of Levinson’s findings. Though the mountain seemed to be their ultimate goal, she wanted to perform a more thorough study of the area to determine if they could find anything of further interest. There was no harm in being thorough.

th’Koro: Response

Rosek: ::nods:: Keep your eyes open for any unfriendly wildlife. Without weapons, we’re going to need to get creative if it comes down to a fight.

Levinson: Of course, Commander.

th’Koro: Response

As the others continued their scans, she walked on a bit, still staying in shouting distance. She’d picked up some peculiar readings from a nearby plant and had been distracted into investigating. It was strangely reminiscent of the Kazuri from Leya-I. The primary difference was the stamen and the color of the pollen.

As tempted as the scientist in her was to collect a sample for study when they returned to the ship, she had no desire to cause a diplomatic incident in case doing so would cause offense with the natives. She instead settled for non-invasive scans that could be added to their database. Maybe at some point down the road, they could secure permission for one of the beautiful blossoms, possibly in a trade for something the natives desired.

Levinson: Does either of you see anything else, Lieutenants?

Snow: Nothing of interest yet.

th’Koro: Response

Hearing her team, she returned to their original beam-down location for a quick report on what everyone had found.

Rosek: So what have we got? Anything worth lingering or should we keep moving?

Snow: Nothing for me. The plants around here are interesting, but nothing to linger around for.

th’Koro: Response

Levinson: ::Looking down at her tricorder readings:: I do not believe I can gather more data than what I currently have, Commander.

She had to agree. Aside from some interesting flora, there was nothing of note in the immediate area. Of the two, she was certain Serala would be more interested in the minerals and materials than the local plant life. Still, it bore mentioning in her report when they returned. Perhaps if they could obtain special permission from the inhabitants, she could bring another team down to collect samples and study the plant life deeper.

Snow: Perhaps we’ll find something better near the mountain? Mountain regions have been known to produce valuable medicinal herbs. Perhaps there are caves there to help us get a better study of the Reskari and dilithium as well. There could be medicinal roots there as well.

Rosek: ::nods:: Plantlife needs an abundance of minerals and nutrients to support it. I concur with your assessment, Doctor.

th’Koro: Response

She was pondering the path that they would take when Levinson spoke up.

Levinson: I am detecting a somewhat larger concentration of Reskari a bit north from here. I do not believe it is sufficient for industrial mining, yet it should suffice for more in-depth studies.

A grin broke out across her face despite her best attempts to contain it. The renewed hope in her pet project bolstered her mood and made her even more eager to continue. It still wasn’t the perfect solution, but it got them a step closer. If they could get enough of it, maybe the molecular differences would offer some insight as to how they could produce their own isotope without losing the boon that was the metal’s unique properties.

Snow: Perhaps if we ever meet up with the Feladoni military we could request to collect samples or at least ask if it’s against the law to.

Rosek: ::nods:: My thoughts exactly, Doctor.

th’Koro: Response

Levinson: ::Nodding:: Very well.

With their analysis and study of this area concluded, the group began their trek toward the mountains Lieutenant Levinson had indicated. Thankfully, there still weren’t any signs of predatory wildlife. There wasn’t any wildlife for that matter. She wondered if most creatures weren’t either nocturnal or hiding from them.

th’Koro: Response

The brightness of the light was replaced by shadow as they ventured beneath the cover of the trees. She nearly tripped once or twice as she worked to become accustomed to the grade and roughness of the terrain. She’d wandered any number of nature trails as a child and was no stranger to adapting to the land beneath her feet. A cool breeze wove its way through the trees, raising the hairs at the back of her neck and causing goosebumps to prickle her skin.

Her tricorder remained mostly at her side as she took in her surroundings with her own senses. A smile turned up the corners of her lips, overcome with nostalgia. She loved to fix things above all else and that was where her gifts laid.

However, there was a beauty to order in chaos. Nature was a set of mathematical principles and scientific laws that made just enough sense to offer a calm serenity and stability, something that Lael had come to crave after a lifetime of uncertainty. It was what had appealed to her most as a child exploring the wooded areas in her hometown of Cedar Springs.

Snow: Be careful not to cut or prick yourself on any thorns or anything. Though most plants and minerals are harmless, there are some that release harmful toxins into the body. So mind what you touch and please report anything no matter how minor you think it is.

Elizabeth’s voice drew her from her reverie and she raised her tricorder, studying the readings before again looking up at the trail in front of them.

Rosek: ::grins:: You’ll hear no argument from me, Doc. When I was a kid, I wasn’t paying much attention to my surroundings and I wandered into a patch of poison ivy. ::chuckles:: Itched for two days. I swear my aunt went through a whole bottle in the first several hours trying to keep me from scratching.

th’Koro / Levinson: Responses

As they walked, they came to a rather old-looking tree that could hold its own with the redwoods in California. It was tall, looking like it had been standing for at least thrice as long as Lael had been alive, likely far longer.

Snow: There are some roots growing on that tree that I would like to get a sample of to further assess their medicinal properties whenever we get a chance to ask.

Lael nodded and made a note on her tricorder’s map. She’d already done so for a couple of her own points of interest, namely the Kazuri-like flowers that they’d found near their original beam down site. Aside from being rich in essential minerals and metals, this world was proving to be a scientist’s treasure trove.

Rosek: I made a note on the map. I suggest you all do the same for any points of interest you would like to explore further if we are given permission and the opportunity.

She was vaguely aware of a group of Feladoni following at a distance. Likely an escort designed to ensure they didn’t bump into any civilians. A wry, unamused grin twisted her lips. If she were in a less cynical mood, she might even have dared to think of them as a welcoming committee. However, given Esa’s tone when she’d informed them of the ‘no civilian contact’ request, she got the impression that was the last thing on the Feladoni group’s mind.

th’Koro / Levinson: Reponses

With her sensitive hearing, Lael caught a very soft disturbance as the grasses in the distance were rustled. It had been brief and hadn’t matched the tread pattern of the Feladoni that had been following them. Silence replaced the footsteps for a moment before the sound of feet on dirt resumed, the pitch and tone different than it had been.

Snow: Anyone else hear that?

Rosek: ::softly:: Yes. I have the feeling our Feladoni escort is no longer with us.

th’Koro / Levinson: Responses

The footsteps drew closer until they were practically right of top of them. Her instinct was to run, but the footsteps were echoing from so many directions, she wasn’t entirely certain which was safest. Before she could fully formulate an escape route, a voice spoke from nearby.

Katnar’fari: Do not move, please.  ::She held her sonic disruptor rifle pointed at the group::

Her hand twitched, longing for a phaser at her side. However, it was back on the ship, per Commander Serala’s orders. She could have easily disarmed the individual with her hand-to-hand experience but recalled what Serala had said. Peace above all else. Besides, if the individual had wanted them dead or incapacitated, it could have done so just as easily as its group had done with the Feladoni guards.

Others emerged, surrounding them. She signaled to her team to stand down and await further orders. Focusing on diplomacy, she changed her posture to a less defensive one and met the individual’s gaze with calm confidence.

Rosek: I am Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek of the Federation starship Chin’toka. I respectfully request that you state your intentions.

th’Koro / Levinson / Snow: Responses

Katnar’fari: I do not know how you speak like we do, but it is good. It will make this easier.

She studied the creature for a moment, becoming more curious the longer she was in its company. Her years in Starfleet meant she’d come across some interesting species. In her time aboard the Astraeus, she’d even come across an Avian race called the Golthanni who had reminded her a lot of Terran birds with their variety of shapes, sizes, and colors.

This race, however, was the most unique. It never ceased to amaze her the diversity of sentient life throughout the universe. Far from being intimidated by the species’ resemblance to Terran bats, she was fascinated.

th’Koro / Levinson / Snow: Responses

Katnar’fari: We do not wish to harm you, but we will if you leave us no choice. You will come with us.

Her eyebrows arched at the request, wondering what fate these beings had in store for them. However, with weapons trained on her entire team, she had little choice in the matter. It was safest for their team if they simply played along...at least for the moment.

th’Koro / Levinson / Snow: Responses

Katnar’fari: ::She raised the rifle in her hands:: Then we will render you unconscious and you will come with us anyway. The choice is yours, but make it now. ::She said directly to the one who seemed to be their chief (Rosek)::

The being seemed to be under the impression that she was going to resist. She supposed they would have if the roles were reversed and under any other circumstances, she would have resisted. However, this was not Lenik nor his cronies. They hadn’t been drugged or shot. Aside from which, she was more than a little curious about what they wanted.

Rosek: ::turns to her team:: Looks like we’re taking a slight detour. Tricorders out and keep your eyes on the terrain. Wouldn’t want any sprained ankles for Doctor Snow to need to fix.

th’Koro / Levinson / Snow: Responses

With that settled, she returned her attention to the being and nodded.

Rosek: Your lead, … ::pauses:: How can I refer to you? ::grins:: I don’t want to assume and, in my culture, “Hey, you” isn’t the most polite thing to say to someone.

Katnar’fari: Response

Rosek: ::inclines her head:: As you wish.

She and her team resumed their trek, this time directed by the group in front of and around them. Silence filled the air around them and she didn’t push the conversation, still attempting to determine the new arrivals’ potential motives. She didn’t have a good feeling about this, getting a distinct impression that they’d stepped into the middle of a borderline Prime Directive conflict.

Though the species of this planet had clearly achieved warp travel, she and her team still had to be careful about becoming involved in a civil war. They simply couldn’t take sides no matter the circumstances.

Katnar’fari: Response

th’Koro / Levinson / Snow: Responses

----

Chief Engineer