Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek: That's Enough

瀏覽次數:8 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Lael Rosek

未讀,
2021年3月13日 晚上11:52:162021/3/13
收件者:sb118-c...@googlegroups.com

OOC: This post may contain descriptions that could trigger unsettling feelings. Read with care.

OOC2: This is a bit long. Sorry.

((Ladonnik Nature Preserve, Eladar IV))

This mission so far had been anything but what she’d expected. Given the nature of their briefing, she’d anticipated a routine survey mission...not to end up as a prisoner. She grimaced. How did simple things always become so complicated?

So far, it didn’t look like she was going to be suspended by her wrists in a disease-ridden freezer or whacked with a metal pole or have her mind invaded by a homicidal Vulcan madman. However, she wasn’t sure if that level of torture was common or if it was just her experience.

The brief exchange thus far with these people left her cautiously optimistic.

She paused, gathering her thoughts before continuing.

Rosek: As I said, your test flight caught our attention much as my homeworld’s test flight of light-speed travel caught the attention of another species centuries ago.

Again, she became silent and thoughtful as she waited for the next questions. That was best for now. Answering questions that she could and offering succinct, concise answers that she hoped avoided any appearance of a conspiracy with the Feladoni. It was clear that these people had underlying issues with them that she didn’t know enough about to form any sort of judgment on how to navigate inquiries yet.

No. It was best to keep the conversation focused on satiating their captor’s curiosity as best as she could

Katnar’fari: I see. And, this coalition of yours is all from your homeworld? ::She looked to the other prisoners:: How many species do you have sharing your world?

Qalipu’fari: Response

Levinson: We are not from one world, no. Members of our coalition come from many planets in many solar systems.

Snow: Even though we all do come from different places, we all exist together as equals.

Katnar’fari: This is quite...interesting but we know the Feladoni. They take from Fari without care most of the time. They do not respect her for what she provides all of us.

Qalipu’fari: Response

Rosek: ::smiles and nods:: I can appreciate the care you show for Fari. My mother’s people quite nearly destroyed our home through thoughtless actions. However, that changed centuries ago. We are much more enlightened and strive to take care of what we have been blessed with.

Katnar’fari: The way you speak, you are of two different peoples? Born of two worlds and two different species?

It had been a source of conflict and hurt in her childhood, but as she’d become an adult, she’d accepted that being a child of two worlds had its advantages. By this stage in her life, it had become almost a point of pride. She was more than willing to share what she’d learned with anyone who asked. Her hand went to the place where her cross sat under her uniform. God had made her special and unique. Exactly as he intended her to be.

Rosek: ::smiles and nods:: I am both Human and Al-Leyan. My mother is from Earth and my father is from a world called Leya-I. They met through her service in an organization called Starfleet.

Snow: As am I. It’s quite common amongst our quadrant of the universe.

Qalipu’fari: Response

Rosek: ::shakes her head:: Not at all. Our interest in your world is scientific in nature. But we wouldn’t dream of taking or harming your natural resources without your explicit consent.

Katnar’fari: Of this we only have your word, but that for now is all we can judge you on. Your future actions will show your true intent in time.

She inclined her head. That was fair enough. These people knew very little about them. It wasn’t her first rodeo, so to speak, and first contacts could be a bit touchy. Combat situations were covered more than first contact in basic classes, but she supposed that was because the latter was often left up to command-level staff. They were expected to guide the interactions and set an example for younger officers.

Her gaze flickered to those with her. Though they weren’t as green as they’d once been, they were still in the relatively early years of their careers. That wisdom and experience would come with time.

Qalipu’fari: Response

Levinson: ::Inclining her head:: Quite logical.

Katnar’fari: I must ask, Lieutenant Commander Rosek. Your eyes. They are quite remarkable. They did not look like this outside, but here, they glow. Can you see better in the dark?

She tensed slightly but offered a warm smile nonetheless. Her eyes. They were a hallmark of her Al-Leyan heritage...one that earned her scorn from her peers when she was a young girl. Some of the less enlightened of her classmates had used it to single her out. Johnny Warren, a mountain of a boy with a hot temper and a myriad of insecurities, had been the prime feature of her youth and teenage years.

Rosek: It’s one of the perks, yes. The glow is especially prominent when the light makes contact, such as with fire or a handheld light source.

Her eyebrows arched as Kantar motioned for the team to follow her and, though she was hesitant, her curiosity got the better of her.

Kantar’fari: I think you will appreciate this then.

Qalipu’fari: Response

As they entered a large cavern her breath caught, light refracting off of something familiar. In an instant, she recalled the scans they’d conducted before beaming down.

Dilithium and Reskari.

She barely restrained herself from venturing in like an excited child and touching the structures jutting up from the cave floor to confirm they were real. How long had she been looking for alternate sources of the Reskari? It seemed surreal that she was looking at the possible solution to their supply problem.

Her hand twitched toward the holster that would normally have held her tricorder and she found herself longing to perform scans. Patience had never been her strong suit, but it would have to be if she wanted to develop enough of a rapport to get permission to study the deposits.

Snow: Wow.. ::she looked at it in awe::

Rosek: ::whispers:: This is incredible.

Levinson: Those are dilithium crystals…

A wide grin crossed Lael’s lips and she got excited all over again. This was an amazing discovery.

Katnar’fari: Dilithium? We do not know this word. What--

Lael opened her mouth to explain, but was halted by sounds beyond the large cavern and she tensed. People shouting followed by silence. The familiar heavy thud of feet hitting the ground in quick succession came not long after and another being burst into the room.

Youth: Chief! They’ve begun the relocation early!

Relocation? She allowed a hint of a scowl to form on her lips. Though she knew little about the bat-like race’s relationship with the Feladoni, she had to admit she wasn’t liking what she was seeing so far. It reeked of oppression, something that got under her skin faster than most other forms of cruelty.

Her gaze went to the monitor and she watched helplessly as what appeared to be Feladoni began to heard the bat-like beings toward the exit tunnels like cattle. Her heart screamed to help them, but her head told her she couldn’t interfere. It was at times like this that her commitment to Starfleet was both a blessing and a curse. But her superiors trusted her not to abuse her authority for the sake of satisfying her agenda. As hard as it might be, until Commander Serala gave the order, all she could do was watch.

Qalipu’fari: Response

Snow: They’re not even resisting.

Rosek: ::murmurs:: Oppression can have unseen psychological impacts, Lieutenant.

It was a reality of these situations. She’d seen little of it first hand but had read enough of it in Human history to understand the lasting consequences. So many races and peoples had been controlled by a greater majority before Earth had reached that enlightened stage in its history.

Katnar’fari: They will not resist. ::She said in a somber tone:: My people view any violent act not done out of self-defense to be abhorrent. It’s why we here are shunned.

Lael nodded, understanding perhaps better than most. How many lives had she taken? Just the thought had her throat constricting. She hated killing. Hated it more than pain and suffering. And yet, she’d been forced to end lives in self-defense and defense of her colleagues. The memory of Janel Tarna pitted against a Romulan who was determined to take his life flashed vividly, a reminder of past prejudices she’d held.

Qalipu’fari: Response

Her gaze flickered to Levinson, feeling the strong emotions that the Vulcanoid was experiencing mingling with her own. It took an extreme effort to focus on her mental shields, raising them so she could keep a level head and remain focused on the situation at hand. She’d learned the hard way that becoming emotional would only impair rational thinking. And she had to stay rational so that she didn’t make an impulsive decision she’d regret.

Rosek: ::nods:: A difficult choice.

What Katnar did next was simultaneously surprising and unsurprising. The underlying passion in the woman’s voice as she’d spoken as well as an earlier conversation regarding her team’s capture indicated that these people had reached a breaking point with their tolerance of the oppression they were facing.

Without an understanding of the complete history, Lael was in no position to side with one group over the other. She couldn’t handle the guilt of anymore bloodshed on her conscience, especially not playing God.

Katnar’fari: ::She picked up the mic for the radio transmitter:: Now, strike at them when they enter the caves. No more. We can’t let them dictate where we can and can’t live any longer. Do not kill them if you can help it.

Despite being tempted to avert her gaze from the brutality, she steeled her resolve and watched unflinchingly as bodies from both sides fell. Children were shuffled away from the fight by caring parents. She tensed as her gaze fell on one child curled in on itself in a faraway corner, to watch, its elder’s body lying unmoving in front of them. At the very least they could remove the children from this gruesome display, couldn’t they?

Qalipu’fari: Response

Katnar’fari: This is why we have taken you. This is what my people have lived with for centuries since the Feladoni realized that if they do not openly attack us, we won’t resist. Because they know they cannot beat us in battle. They never have.

It was always a fine line and one that no one with a conscience would willingly venture near. However, there was a time for prudence and a time for action. Clearly, the time for the former was past. These beings seemed to feel that the Feladoni were beyond reasoning and their only defense was to stand firm.

Qalipu’fari: Response

Snow: I still don't get it…

Levinson: I see. Yet I am still puzzled as to how... taking us would be of help.

Rosek: ::pauses and turns to Katnar’fari and Qalipu’fari:: If I’m correct, you believe that we are here to aid the Feladoni? That we are a threat and the means by which the Feladoni can completely overpower you?

Qalipu’fari / Katnar’fari: Responses

Levinson: I see. ::Beat:: I suppose there is a logic in that.

She wasn’t surprised and had surmised as much over the course of their conversations. It was why she had given the order not to resist their captivity. These beings were not a threat to them. If Katnar had wished, she could have given the order to have them killed on the spot. Tactically, it made more sense to use them as leverage to prevent the Chin’toka and her teams from attacking. A non-violent defense and a way to force a non-violent solution.

Snow: A few moments ago your people were complying with the Feladoni and wouldn’t resist. The Feladoni haven’t proceeded any differently, but you gave your people an order to fight back. Not that I disagree, it’s your world, but what changed?

Qalipu’fari / Katnar’fari: Responses

She studied the young lieutenant as the two beings explained their position. Even passive peoples reached a point where they needed to defend and protect what was theirs. To stand their ground. If they didn’t, what abhorrent act would the enemy perform next? The old saying “if you give an inch, they’ll take a mile” came to mind.

It reminded her of Academy literature on the Borg’s attempted invasion of Earth. Starfleet and the Federation had been forced to use violence to preserve lives. There was no negotiating with the Borg. They were a plague upon anything living and nothing would stop their path of destruction short of eliminating the threat the Borg posed to their way of life.

Snow: And you didn’t fight back sooner because?

The tone of the comment had her giving Snow a side-eye. She was concerned that their captors would take offense and that it would crumble the rapport she’d been working so hard to build with them.

Qalipu’fari / Katnar’fari / Levinson: Responses

Snow: Apparently we have different definitions of violence and self-defense.

Having heard more than enough, Lael decided to shift the conversation in a different direction. She would have a discussion with Snow later in a less public setting about tact.

Rosek: I admire you, Katnar’fari, for your integrity under duress. I cannot imagine it has been easy to hold to your beliefs given the circumstances. However, I hope you understand that it goes against the primary law governing myself and my officers to interfere in the natural development of a society.

Qalipu’fari / Katnar’fari / Snow / Levinson: Responses

She’d had her share of difficulties over the years with the Prime Directive and how those around her had chosen to apply it. As a younger officer, it had always seemed like a convenient excuse to escape helping others. But now that she was in a tenuous position, she had a greater appreciation for the reasons Starfleet had put it into place. Early Earth starship captains had encountered enough issues to a great enough degree that it became necessary.

Rosek: ::inclines her head:: It prevents officers from abusing their position for personal gain. The Prime Directive has served us well over the centuries since its inception.

Qalipu’fari / Katnar’fari / Snow / Levinson: Responses

((Mini Time Jump))

Suddenly, the noise in the room beyond stopped. Lael was keenly aware of it as she hadn’t been able to entirely block it out. The lack of noise was even more deafening. On the monitors, she saw a small group enter the main area, causing the Feladoni and the bat-like beings to freeze. Her gaze narrowed. She couldn’t tell clearly, but she could have almost sworn they were--

Snow/Levinson: Responses

Rosek: ::nods:: Caraadians. But what are they doing here?

Qalipu’fari / Katnar’fari / Snow / Levinson: Responses

----

Chief Engineer
USS Chin'toka, NCC-97187
I238110RH0