Captain Mei'konda Delano - Honored to be your CO

Aaron Nichols

Jan 15, 2021, 5:24:45 PM1/15/21
to sb118-c...@googlegroups.com

(( Observation Lounge, Deck 6, USS Chin’toka ))

{{ New Year’s Eve, 2300 hours }}

It had been an interesting hour or two of discussion and interaction between the crew themselves and the visitors who had dropped in and occasionally joined minds with his officers.  What an odd thought that was.  But, they were Starfleet.  Odd was part of the job.

A few minutes earlier, he’d sent out an announcement for the ship’s more senior officers who weren’t already present in the party to join them there.  Because now, Mei’konda thought it was time to say a few words.  He was new to this ship and they were new to him, but they’d performed admirably on their first mission, and they deserved to be recognized for it.

The Caitian reached for a tray of synthehol champagne that had been recently replicated, picked up a glass, then tapped on it gently with a spoon in order to get the attention of those present.

Mei’konda: Good evening, my officers and our guests.  Thaank you for attending this paarty tonight.  I appreciaate you all being here.

He paused for a moment, tugging open the jacket he’d worn closed over his shirt beneath so that he could pull out a few small boxes from the inside pocket.  He laid them out on the dining table next to him, then turned his attention back toward those in attendance.

Mei’konda: At the end of the year, you were asked by Starfleet to return to a plaace where many of you have bad memories.  Under the command of a new Captaiin, on board a new starship.  It could have gone badly, but you all performed admiraably, and more importantly, I believe we improved relaations between the Federation and the people of the Republic.  Most importantly, we all came back alive.

Once again, he paused, and looked out over the assembled officers.

Mei’konda: For that reason, Starfleet Command has approved my request to award every member of this crew the Diplomacy Ribbon.  Congratulations, everyone.

Any: Responses

Mei’konda: First, I would like Commander Raga and Lieutenant Lephi to join me.

He smiled slightly at the Al-Leyan, then the Ferengi, as they stepped up toward him and stood at attention.  It was never exactly a pleasure to award this, but it was important to ensure that members of Starfleet knew that their sacrifices in the line of duty were recognized.

Mei’konda: Commander, Lieutenant, for your efforts on the surface of Tibro IV and injuries sustaained while living up to Starfleet’s highest standards, you are both being awaarded the Purple Heart.  Through the pain you suffered, you spaared others from suffering the same.  Thank you for your serviice.

The Caitian opened the boxes, and passed the medal first to his second officer, and then to the junior engineer.  Most in attendance were out of uniform, so he elected to avoid pinning any awards to clothing.

Raga / Lephi / Any: Responses

Mei’konda: Now, would Doctor Snow and Lieutenant McKnight join the Commander and the Lieutenant me up here as well, please.

McKnight / Snow: Responses

Mei’konda: For your actiions in defendiing Grand Admiral Dels’an, Lieutenants Snow, Lephi, and McKnight are being awarded the Good Conduct Ribbon.  You all comported yourselves with exceptional professionaliism in a difficult situation down there.  I’m proud to serve with you all.

McKnight / Lephi / Snow: Responses

Mei’konda: Additionaally, Commander Raga, Starfleet has approved my decision to award you the Distinguished Service Ribbon for putting yourself in direct daanger to prevent the detonaation of a bomb that surely would have killed the Grand Admiral.  Good work, Commander.

Raga / Any: Responses

As the four of them stepped back, Mei’konda glanced up from the notes on the PADD he’d brought with him, and back out through the room.

Mei’konda: Would Commander Kiax and Lieutenants Osiris and Levinson join me up here, please.

Kiax / Osiris / Levinson: Responses

He aimed a smile at the two women.

Mei’konda: You and the rest of your archaeology team on the surfaace made a monumental discovery about the Chon that may have saved your teams’ lives.  I’m awardiing you both the Scientific Discovery Ribbon.  Congratulaations, and may you continue to push the bounds of scientifiic knowledge in the future.

Kiax / Osiris / Levinson: Responses

The Caitian glanced down at his roster.

Mei’konda: In addition, though they could not be here toniight due to duty, Ensign Tal’Aura will be receiving the Innovation Ribbon, and Lieutenant th’Koro will be receiving the Gold Lifesaving Ribbon and the Scientific Discovery Ribbon.

Any: Responses

Mei’konda inclined his head toward the group of officers.

Mei’konda: Thank you all again, and I’m honored to be your Captain.  We haave some time until New Year’s.  Please, have some champagne if you liike, and we will soon riing in the new year.

Any: Responses

Captain Mei’konda Delano

Commanding Officer

USS Chin’toka, NCC-97187