[REPOST] Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek: Baby Fever

Message has been deleted

Lael Rosek

Jan 14, 2021, 10:42:25 PM1/14/21
to sb118-c...@googlegroups.com

OOC: It has been brought to my attention that I missed some tags, so this is a repost. Zeph has given me permission to tweak Chythar’s dialogue to better fit.

((Observation Lounge, Deck 6, USS Chin’toka))

{{Time Index: New Year’s Eve, Evening}}

With Chythar in duty mode, she turned her attention to Serala and the little bundle she’d brought with her. A half-smile turned up her lips at the sight of the little darling. Though she was overjoyed to have Maddy, the baby fever she’d been experiencing over the last several months hadn’t waned in the least. She longed for a little one of her own.

Her mother had made a comment when she’d met Chythar years ago about how the two would make beautiful babies. She’d promptly shushed her mother with Chythar’s boyfriend standing not to far away, not wanting to stir that drama. But it had stuck in Lael’s mind ever since. Until recently, it had only been a fantasy that had no hope of ever becoming a reality. Now, however, with him aboard, it was something she was thinking required revisiting.

Mei’konda: Commander, I appreciate your caaution in this matter.  A Captain’s first duty is to the safety and security of their crew, and untiil we know more about these beings, I do not waant many of the crew allowing these… joinings.

Serala: I completely understand, Captain. I suppose in my case, it’s a combination of my training as a security officer, my own sense of duty, and my Romulan nature coming into play. I know First Contact situations are something to look forward to, but something like this just … unnerves me.

Mei’konda: Still, it is good to see that… at least at first appearances, they are benevolent.

Serala: Response

Rosek: ::pauses:: I can appreciate diversity as much as the next person. However, the fact remains that we know next to nothing about these entities and their connections with the major powers in the area. You made the right call, sir, by limiting the kind of information they could have access to.

Her focus returned to the little one in Serala’s arms and she couldn’t resist a smile.

Rosek: Your little one is precious, Commander. What’s her name?

Serala: :: smiling like the proud mom she was :: Thank you. Her name is Little Bean … I mean, T’Saara. For her paternal great-grandmother.

Rosek: ::smiles and nods:: A strong name. ::pauses:: Forgive me, but do you mind if I hold her? ::smiles sheepishly:: I’m a sucker for babies lately.

The only person in the room who could possibly understand her longing was Chythar. Though she didn’t recall him ever having met Jax, he’d seen the fall out--the pain she’d been through as her chance of having her own Jax had been ripped from her.

The depression she’d sunken into following their return from the other universe had led to her pushing Jansen away, the first step in the decline of their relationship. There was no going back to what could have been and she’d long since accepted that.

The image of Chythar holding their child had evoked tears on more than one occasion and it was something she was very much looking forward to if they ever were blessed with a child of their own.

Serala: Okay, sure. :: she held Bean out to the other woman and allowed her to take the infant :: She loves the attention anyway.

Lael sat in a chair near Serala and accepted the infant carefully, smiling at her. For a moment, T’Saara looked as though she might cry. Brushing her fingers along the outer apple of the little girl’s cheek, she lowered her mental shields and projected gentle waves of calm all while bouncing the girl lightly on her knee as Serala had been moments ago.

Rosek: ::murmurs:: Mhrah, mhrah, ouye daeftan. Hwiiy gaenoh. Arhem dhat oallea. (There, there, beautiful girl. You’re okay. I don’t bite.)

Any: Response

Serala: Yes, my little gloryhound. She loves the attention, for certain.

Rosek: ::grins:: I think that’s relatively normal for babies in general. They crave stimulation and interaction, particularly with their caregivers. There’s nothing in this universe like the way those little eyes look at you and the way their little hands reach for you when they see you.

Any: Response

Serala: You are always welcome to come by and visit. You don’t need an excuse. But T’Prel is my sister-in-law, my husband’s sister, and she looks after Bean when I have to be away, so a babysitter isn't really necessary.

She chuckled, not in the least bit surprised. Serala likely had volunteers lining the ship’s corridors for a few moments with this precious little wonder. She pressed her lips gently to T’Saara’s cheek and blew a playful raspberry. When she pulled back, she saw the infant’s wide smile so she did it again, this time earning a giggle from the little one. A third raspberry and again, T’Saara laughed clapping her hands against Lael’s cheeks in a non-verbal gesture that she could have sworn meant again.

Rosek: ::smirks:: I may just take you up on that. ::turns to Serala:: My daughter, Maddy, has been helping out in the ship’s nursery. ::grins:: She was hooked from the moment she stepped in there and I’ve been told she’s very good with the young ones. I’m sure she’d love a playdate or two with T’Saara.

At the infant’s insistent patting of her cheeks, Lael blew yet another raspberry against the girl’s cheek and smiled affectionately. She’d nearly forgotten how at peace she felt with a little one in her arms. Despite the exhaustion, she’d always been eager for the times her alternate universe counterpart left Jax in her care.

Rosek: ::pauses:: I’ve heard Anjar Thoran is aboard. He has a daughter, Liara, who is a close friend of Maddy’s. In fact, he and his partner are watching Maddy tonight while Chythar and I are here. ::smiles:: Liara is very good with little ones also. I would be willing to bet the girls would make wonderful playmates for T’Saara despite the age gap.

Serala: Response

Rosek: ::inclines her head:: If you’re agreeable, maybe we can set up a time for the girls to meet each other and play.

Serala: Response

Her gaze wandered toward Chythar and she smiled affectionately. They’d talked about it a few times since adopting Maddy, but it hadn’t seemed like the right time to pursue it given that they were still adjusting to life as a family. After everything Maddy had been through, she deserved some time as the central focus of her and Chythar’s affections.

Rosek: ::gaze returns to Serala:: Maybe down the road, yes. ::smiles:: I’d very much like a son. ::smirks:: He’d likely be the spitting image of his father.

Serala: Response

As if summoned, Chythar appeared at her side. She smiled by way of greeting, not wanting to let go of the little one just yet.

Skyfire: I was supposed to get you one of those spiced Al-Leyan teas, wasn’t I?

Rosek: ::smiles:: You did, honey. An iced one. But… :gaze flickers to her mostly empty glass on a nearby table:: I wouldn’t mind a refill

Skyfire: I’ll get on that, darling.

Rosek: ::nods:: Thank you.::pauses and turns to Serala:: Would you like anything?

Serala: Response

Skyfire: Response

She half-listened to the conversation, more interested in T’Saara’s toothless smile. Her gaze flickered to Chythar, wondering if it was too soon to discuss expanding their little family. Maddy was an easy child and was very independent. Though the young girl was still healing from some of the psychological wounds the recent past had left, she seemed to be adjusting well to their somewhat odd circumstances.

Serala: Response

Skyfire: Response

----

Chief Engineer