Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek: Awards and Accolades

Lael Rosek

Oct 7, 2020, 12:56:20 AM10/7/20
to sb118-c...@googlegroups.com

((Officer's Mess, Deck 11, USS Chin’toka))

{{Time Index: Day 27 of Shoreleave - Early Evening)}}

As the young Ferengi wandered off to rejoin her date for the evening, her gaze fell on one of the new arrivals, a Vulcan if she wasn’t mistaken. After trading her glass of champagne for a mug of Al-Leyan spiced tea at the bar, she approached the young woman with a warm smile and offered the ta’al.

Rosek: Sochya eh dif, Ot-lan (Peace and long life, Lieutenant.)

Levinson: Dif-tor heh smusma, Tra-lan. (Live long and prosper, Lieutenant Commander.) Your Vulcan is well. Where did you learn the language?

Rosek: ::inclines her head and smiles:: I spent a month in the T’Reth Monastery training in meditative arts. It was a fascinating experience. I even had the opportunity to immerse myself a bit in the local culture.

Levinson: Fascinating. I fear most of my visits to Vulcan were to my grandparents’ home in Vulcana Regar. I did not visit the T’Reth Monastery specifically, however.

From what she understood, the monastery was more isolated than some on Vulcan, making it even more ironic the amount of culture that she’d been exposed to while on the planet. Her pointed ears and emotionless expression (which she’d adopted during her time there out of respect for her hosts) meant she’d been mistaken once or twice for a native—at least until she’d removed her head covering and revealed her long hair.

Rosek: ::smiles:: The view was most aesthetically pleasing. I would go out onto one of the upper decks in the early hours of the morning and spend an hour or so meditating as the sun rose over the nearby strait.

Levinson: It certainly sounds like a pleasing experience.

It was one of her fonder memories of her temporary home. She’d expected the cultural and lifestyle differences to create barriers even tolerance couldn’t break. Perhaps it was the Vulcans she’d encountered in her career with Starfleet. She’d always found Surak’s teachings to be fascinating and she’d developed a fondness for them over time.

She’d struggled with her feelings all her life and had never felt completely comfortable with them. A voice cut into her mental musings and she realized the young Vulcan was speaking again.

Levinson: I do not believe I have truly introduced myself, Commander. I am Lieutenant Junior Grade Noa T’Nessa Levinson, Science Officer. And you are?

Rosek: ::smiles:: A pleasure to meet you, Lieutenant. Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek, Chief Engineer.

She didn’t offer her hand, knowing that most Vulcans found it uncomfortable. She herself had learned to avoid unnecessary physical contact due to her abilities. The last thing she wanted was to cause an unexpected emotional feedback loop.

Levinson: ::Nodding slightly:: It is agreeable to meet you, Commander Rosek. How long have you been with this crew, if I may inquire?

Rosek: Oh, I’ve only been around this bunch a bit over a month. But some of them I’ve known for years. They were around when I attended a promotion party for the Atlantis’s former commanding officer, Captain Brell.

Levinson: I see. It is apparent you have years of experience, Commander.

Rosek: ::grins:: It’s not the years. It’s the mileage.

Levinson: Of course, Commander. ::Beat:: If I may still inquire, how long have you served in a fleet? It has evidently been a while, as I mentioned before.

She chuckled at the human expression. It certainly rang true in her case. She was still young, but there were days when she felt much older. Some of her fellow Academy instructors back on Earth had joked more than once that she was the most mature of them. They’d quickly learned that she could be just as immature and reckless as the next person. She just hid it well.

Rosek: ::chuckles:: Yeah. Six years this February. But I’ve seen a great deal in my time and have been told it’s made me wise before my time.

Levinson: I see.

Rosek: What about you? How long have you been with the fleet?

Levinson: Almost nine months, since early January. I received the reassignment orders to the Atlantis only two weeks ago.

Rosek: ::arches an eyebrow:: Oh? What was your previous posting?

Levinson: The Juneau, under Captain Oddas.

Ah. The Juneau. She’d been considered for a spot there before she was offered first officer. Naturally, that had changed things. Though she hadn’t had the opportunity to work on the Juneau engines first hand, she’d spent some time on the Warp XV project.

Her team’s main goal had been to take what the Juneau crew had learned and use that to make modifications to future versions of the engine. If they could iron out the kinks, it would give Starfleet a major advantage when dealing with adversaries.

Every time they cut the travel time over long distances, they increased their defense capabilities.

Rosek: ::smiles:: Ah. Captain Oddas. She and I worked together on a few Academy final exams if I recall. Solid woman. She was only a Commander at the time I believe. ::pauses:: How did you like serving there?

Levinson: It was quite the experience. The Aavaro Wilds are a rather busy region of space.

A smile turned up the corners of her lips and she nodded. She hadn’t served in the Wilds, but one thing that seemed to never change with Starfleet was the nature of the job. Certainly, it varied from region to region, but there was always adventures to be had. Damned good thing part of the reason she’d signed on was for the exploration bit.

Rosek: ::smirks:: Sounds like there’s a few stories behind that.

Levinson: Absolutely, yes. What was your previous posting, if I may ask?

Rosek: ::smiles:: Prior to serving as an Academy Engineering Instructor, I spent a year as first officer of the Montreal and the Astraeus respectively.

Levinson: Response

She missed it, but life in Starfleet was change. She’d learned a lot from her time in that chair and wouldn’t have had it any other way. Everything that she’d experienced had made her a better officer and leader. It had also opened her eyes to what was really important.

She’d spent the early years of her career fighting hard to climb the ladder. Every breath had been devoted to that next rung...that next rank. The decision to step down as first officer had changed her perspective. Her mind had been a mess. She’d needed that month on Vulcan to recover from what Lenik had done to her.

Rosek: Honestly? The best year of my career. I worked with some exceptional people and we accomplished a great deal together. ::smiles:: I’m proud to say we stopped a homicidal madman from taking thousands of lives.

Levinson: Response

She opened her mouth to reply, but noticed out of the corner of her eye that their commanding officer was trying to get their attention. Offering Levinson a smile, she turned to face him.

Thoran: Now onto the second of tonight’s presentations.

She arched an eyebrow and grinned. Second? My, my. Tonight was a big night for the crew. If she didn’t miss her guess, Commander Thoran was referring to the awards and ribbons from the recent mission. She’d collected a fair few herself over the years. As she hadn’t been present for the last mission, however, she wouldn’t receive any. Instead, tonight would be a night to focus on and celebrate the achievements of her colleagues.

Her eyes remained focused on the stage, the center of attention, as the first individual stepped forward--none other than Toryn’s new girlfriend, Ishkabela Journs. She smiled and applauded politely as the young woman received a Silver Lifesaving Ribbon. The description of the award itself spoke to its importance.

Journs remained in place while Toryn, Serala, and th’Koro joined her. The four were then awarded the Diplomacy Ribbon. Commander Thoran offered them each a box and a congratulatory handshake.

She sombered as th’Koro was awarded the Prisoner of War ribbon, glancing down at her own jacket which held a black and red ribbon containing two gold stars. She’d been captured by an enemy not once, not twice, but three times. Better than anyone, she knew those weren’t the ribbons that any officer strived for. The four officers all stepped to the side as Commander Logan, Lieutenant McKnight, and Lieutenant Ganarvuss replaced them. The three officers were granted the usual pomp and circumstance as they were awarded the Good Conduct ribbon.

The three were replaced by a pair, Commander Kiax and Lieutenant Lephi. Both were given the Innovation Ribbon. She cheered loudly, clapping the best she could with the mug of warm tea in her hand. A proud grin crossed her lips. Lephi had accomplished so much just since Lael had come aboard. This was what she enjoyed most about being Chief. Seeing her people grow and succeed.

She was confident that Lephi would make one hell of a Chief Engineer someday.

At that precise moment, Admiral Kove came up behind Serala and Lael had to fight back laughter at the mischievous look on the woman’s face. Oh, Commander Thoran was in for it now. Her gaze flickered to Serala, wondering what part she’d played in this.

RAdm. Kove: Not so fast Commander Thoran. ::She looked over to Serala.:: Commander Serala, I believe there is one box remaining, may I have it please?

Admiral Kove accepted the box from Serala before returning her attention to Commander Thoran.

RAdm. Kove: Commander Jarred Thoran, for sustaining an injury in the line of duty, you are hereby awarded the Purple Heart. I would like to remind you that Starfleet Command does not wish to get into the habit of awarding it’s commanding officers this decoration.

Thoran: Thank you Admiral. Unless I am mistaken, that ties me with Commander Raga now.

Raga: Well, looks like that just means I have to go earn some more.

This time, Lael failed to contain her amusement, though she at least managed to keep it to a light chuckle. She shook her head, sparing Journs a glance. The woman’s thoughts seemed loud and clear on that subject, despite Lael’s regular dose of neural suppressants.

Serala: Sir, considering how many he has received, I am not sure that is something you want to brag about.

She smiled. The Romulan woman had a point. Lael herself had three. It had become a running joke that they’d stopped giving them to her for fear that the awards were encouraging her reckless nature. Toryn did have a propensity for recklessness...something the two of them shared. It seemed he was always getting into some kind of trouble.

Any: Response

RAdm. Kove: I believe Captain Whittaker, you have a few words you would like to say?

She turned to the man she’d met earlier expectantly.

Whittaker: Good evening everybody and thank you Rear Admiral for the opportunity to present this most auspicious of commendations. ::he nodded demurely to the diminutive-yet-intimidating flag officer. Then he swept his gaze out at the faces of those assembled.:: For those of you who may not yet know, I served with Commander Thoran on two starships- the Blackwell and the Columbia. I feel immensely privileged to have done so. Your Commanding Officer is a man of principle and honour- devoted to the ideals of the United Federation of Planets, tenets that he upholds like nobody else I have encountered throughout the course of my career. ::he turned to Thoran with a proud, fraternal smile and placed one hand on the man's shoulder.:: You're about to embark on the next chapter of what I am certain is going to be a long and illustrious career and you have one of the finest crews in Starfleet today to support you. But gaining a new ship is not enough. ::he drew in a breath and he broke out into a grin.:: Something more is needed. ::he removed his hand from Jarred's pocket and fished out the rosewood box he had been carrying.:: Jarred Thoran it with immense pride that I hearby promote you to the rank of Captain, with all of the duties, rights and responsibilities therein. ::he pressed the box into Thoran's hands.:: Congratulation, Captain Thoran.

She clapped enthusiastically as others around her cheered. She hadn’t served with the man long, but she believed that she was a good judge of people. Captain Thoran conducted himself as a man of integrity and she respected that about him. He didn’t seem the type to compromise what he felt was right to please others.

Thoran: Response

Journs: Congratulations, sir!

Anyone: Response

The two shook hands and she caught the whispered exchange between the two thanks to her above average hearing.

Whittaker: You deserve this, Jarred.

Thoran: Response

She could practically sense trouble coming when Toryn stepped forward and spoke to the room at large.

Raga: Let’s hear it for Captain Jarred Thoran! Hip Hip Hurray!!

Journs: ::loudly:: Hear, hear!

Rosek: Ho kapitano, mia kapitano! (Oh Captain, my Captain!)

Anyone: Response

Gradually, the cheering and applause quieted, a momentary stillness falling over the room.

Raga: Speech! ::He took a few steps back and nudged the Human forward gently clearly not caring if he had to warp manifolds later::

Rosek: ::yells:: Speech!

Thoran: Response

Raga / Serala: Responses

Any: response