Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek: The Next Generation

Lael Rosek

Sep 27, 2020, 12:57:09 AM9/27/20
to sb118-c...@googlegroups.com

((Officer's Mess, Deck 11, USS Chin’toka))

{{Time Index: Day 27 of Shoreleave - Early Evening)}}

Rosek: ::claps her on the shoulder:: I've only been serving with her for about a month and she's already proven herself invaluable.

Marshall: One to watch out for, I see.

Whittaker / Raga / Snow: Response

Shayne: Looks like things are getting underway.

She nodded, turning her attention toward the stage. She’d never met Admiral Kove personally. However, the woman’s name wasn’t completely foreign to her. She wondered how closely Commander Thoran and Admiral Kove had worked together in the past.

RAdm. Kove: It is a great pleasure to be here with you aboard the USS Chin’toka today. Let me start by thanking you all for your tremendous work in the Par’tha Expanse. I know it has not always been easy and your efforts have been appreciated by Starfleet Command, the Federation Council and the residents of the Par’tha Expanse.

What little she’d seen of the Atlantis crews’ trials and challenges in the Par’tha Expanse had come from mission reports and, of course, Ensign Lephi’s firsthand accounts.

RAdm. Kove: Thank you all once again for your service to the Federation and it’s ideals. Now please join me in welcoming the Chin’toka’s commanding officer, Commander Jarred Thoran.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Commander Thoran making his way toward the stage. A person didn’t need to be an empath to see the man’s discomfort. But he carried himself with the dignity of a commanding officer, taking the limelight in stride.

Thoran: Thank you Admiral. ::Turning his attention to the crowd.:: And thank you to you all for taking time out of your schedules to join us. Although we are here to celebrate, I would like to take a moment to pause to reflect on the events of the past, of the sacrifices and loss that we have experienced. To the twenty seven members of the Atlantis who lost their lives. To friends and colleagues who made the ultimate sacrifice.

She recalled well Brell’s promotion ceremony and the mention of those lives lost. While she hadn’t been present for the events, she’d experienced it through the connection she’d had with Toryn at that time. It had made her glad in a way that she hadn’t witnessed it firsthand. She’d been struggling as it was with getting a tighter rein on her feelings.

Thoran: As the first generation of officers and crew to form this ship’s company you have a special privilege and responsibility. You will be setting the standard for those who come after you. Decades from now, wherever your careers take you, you will be able to look back on this time with pride. Without you the Chin’toka is simply a hull, you are what breathes life into the ship.

Though she’d seen many ships in her five years, this was a first. She was the first Chief Engineer of the Chin’toka. It was certainly something for the record books, including hers. Many hands had touched the warp core to make it a reality, but she would be the first to prime them for their official maiden voyage. Test runs were nothing to open space with vast distances between stars.

Thoran: You should be proud of the Chin’toka and what it represents. Your assignment to the Par’tha Expanse sends a clear signal to those who doubt our presence there and forges a new positive, confident role for Starfleet for years to come and that we are determined to remain fully engaged with our allies in the region.

She inclined her head as one of the passing servers brought a tray around and accepted a glass. Drink in hand, she returned her attention to the stage where their commanding officer raised his own in a toast.

Thoran: Wherever the Chin’toka may find herself, may she acquit herself with honour and return safely home. I wish you all fair winds and following seas.

She took a sip along with Thoran, but just enough to say she’d joined the toast. Normally, she’d have finished at least one glass of brandy by now and be well on her way to a second. But she didn’t indulge the way she’d used to. It was too much of a temptation when she was already nervous. Part of her was glad that she wouldn’t be called to the stage at any point tonight. Though she’d gotten used to it, she much preferred smaller crowds.

th’Koro: Here! Here!

Rosek: Well said, sir.

Thoran: Before I continue, I would like to officially welcome some new faces to the Chin’toka. Please join me in welcoming Lieutenant Noa T'Nessa Levinson, Ensign Varik Tal’Aura and Ensign Paros. I am delighted to have you with us and am very much looking forward to working you.

She looked in the direction of those she could find and smiled, lifting her glass in silent welcome. She hadn’t yet had the opportunity to interact with the newest arrivals and made a mental note to do so before the night was out.

Levinson / Tal’Aura / Paros: Response

Any: Response

Thoran: I would also like to take this opportunity to announce a few personnel changes. Firstly, Lieutenant Commander Raga has been selected to head the Strategic Operational Response Team, supported by Lieutenant McKnight and Lieutenant Logan who will be stepping out of their green collars. Further details on the team’s mandate will follow in due course.

Any: Response

Thoran: Please could Lieutenant Esa Kiax, Lieutenant Kurt Logan and Lieutenant Ishkabella Journs join me.

Rosek: ::arches an eyebrow:: oO Well, well. Oo

She’d had limited interaction with the three, though the mention of Journs had piqued her curiosity. After her last sparring session with Toryn, she’d taken a peek at the woman’s service record.

Thoran: During my time as your commanding officer I have been continually impressed by your dedication and commitment. Time and time again you have displayed Starfleet’s values and standards. It is my honour to promote you all to Lieutenant Commander, with all of the rights and responsibilities therein. Congratulations Commanders.

Her sensitive ears picked up the quiet conversation amongst the officers even over chatter and applause that suddenly filled the room. She smiled, clapping politely as each officer was handed their wooden box. She smiled, recalling her own promotion to Lieutenant Commander.

((Flashback))

((Officer’s Mess, USS Veritas))
{{Time Index: 239501.08}}

Rahman: Commander, if you’d retrieve the *other* box.

Mei’konda: Yes, Captain.

The Captain’s gaze then settled on the crowd in front of her, as though searching for something...or someone. Lael didn’t dare hope that it was her the Captain was looking for. She averted her gaze, looking anywhere but at the Captain or at the box Commander Mei’konda held.

Rahman: Who will be my next victim…Lieutenant Rosek!

Lael started, her eyes widening in surprise, resting on the box the Captain held in her hand. A lump formed in her throat and she almost felt like she was having an out of body experience as she clung tightly to Chythar’s arm for a moment.

Rosek: ::breathily:: Me?

Rahman: Yes, yes, if you’d come forward, please.

Rosek: ::nods mutely:: Yes, ma’am.

Exhaling shallowly, she released Chythar’s arm and somehow managed to find her way to the stage without tripping over her feet. As she came face to face with Rahman, she stared into the woman’s green eyes, twinkling every so slightly. Everything around her was a blur as she tried to take in the reality of the moment. She felt Chythar’s presence still in the back of her mind and she reached for it, willing herself to calm down before she hyperventilated.

Rahman: You’ve had to acquaint yourself with so many new things since you were assigned here: a new ship, new region, new department head, and new captain.

Rahman raised an eyebrow but grinned.

Rahman: And though perhaps there were some growing pains, you’ve certainly made quite the impression and impact on this ship and crew. For outstanding performance in your duties as a Starfleet engineer and member of this crew, I hereby promote you to the rank of lieutenant commander.

She felt as though the breath was stamped from her, the last two words sinking in. Lieutenant Commander. Was this real or was this some sort of crazy dream that her mind had concocted from her immense desire to see that pip that the Captain had placed on Evan’s collar on her own? If this was a dream, it was pretty damned vivid and it wasn’t one she wanted to ever wake up from.

For the first time that evening, she raised her mental shields to block out Chythar completely, the combination of her own emotions swirling inside of her too intense and too overwhelming to process. She was still getting over the shock herself. She needed a few moments to revel in one of the defining moments of her career before she could even begin to deal with how it made Chythar feel to see her getting that pip while he was still waiting for his own.

Lael had half expected Mei’konda to be the one to pin it, as he’d done with Evan. But as Mei’konda opened the box, the Captain swooped in to bestow the honor herself.

Rahman: And if Commander Mei’konda will allow me to pin this one…

((End Flashback))

Little had she known at the time the many adventures that would follow the addition of that pip. Her fingers went up to her collar, fingering the two solid pips and the half pip there. They served as a reminder of the years of growth she’d experienced since her first posting. She was pleased to add her brief time aboard the Atlantis and the present moment aboard the Chin’toka to that legacy.

Thoran speaking brought her back to the present moment.

Thoran: Commander Kiax, you have been a tour de force in the Operations Department. For your dedication to the department, you are as of this moment promoted to Chief of Operations. Congratulations.

Kiax: Response

Any: Response

As the applause rose and died down, three other officers were called forward.

Thoran: Ensign Lephi, Ensign Elizabeth Snow and Ensign Thalas th’Koro please join me.

A sly grin crossed Lael’s lips when Lephi was called forward. She had a suspicion of what the young officer was in for. She’d submitted her evaluation of the woman’s performance along with a recommendation. She hadn’t been certain if Commander Thoran would have time to review it before the party.

Thoran: In the short time you have been aboard the Atlantis you have never failed to impress, despite some minor setbacks. ::He looked to Lephi and Snow, the edges of his lips curling into a faint smile.::

She arched an eyebrow at the comment. Clearly she’d missed something. Her gaze went to Lephi, who she’d likely be asking about it later.

Thoran: You are hereby promoted to Lieutenant Junior Grade with all of the rights and responsibilities therein. Congratulations Lieutenants.

th’Koro: Can I keep the box, sir?

Lephi: I'm actually wondering the same thing, sir.

She chuckled and shook her head, not all that surprised. That first promotion was a badge of honor for young officers. There was something inherently different about the jay-gee promotion versus the ensign promotion. Both were, of course, defining moments in an officer’s career. But she recalled her own excitement when she’d been promoted to jay-gee.

Thoran: Response

Lephi: Thank you sir! ::salutes, a little less stiffly than normal and lowers her voice to speak to Thoran:: I promise you won't regret this, sir. This means the world to me.

Thoran: Response

Snow: ::Smiles:: Thank you, Sir ::To her fellow fresh Lieutenants:: Congratulations to you both.

th’Koro: Response

Lephi: Congratulations, Lieutenants!

Thoran: Not so fast Lieutenant Lephi and Lieutenant Snow.

She smirked. So he’d read the recommendation after all. Of course, it had been his decision in the end of things. But she’d figured a department head’s input would be helpful.

Thoran: Both of you have shown a particular aptitude in your departments and have received many glowing reports from your senior officers. To the end, Lieutenant Lephi you are hereby promoted to Assistant Chief Engineer and Lieutenant Snow you are hereby promoted to Assistant Chief Medical Officer. Congratulations to you both.

Snow: Wow.. Thank you, Sir. ::smiles:: I'm truly honored.

Lephi: Response

As the group broke apart, Lael made her way to the front of the room to congratulate the officers. For tonight, they would celebrate. But she and Lephi had some work to do in the morning, particularly with regard to planning their own christening ceremony in Engineering. They’d need to discuss specifics to present to Commander Thoran.

Rosek: ::offers a handshake:: Congratulations, Lieutenants.

Lephi / Snow / th’Koro: Response

Rosek: ::turns to Journs with a smile:: And to you Commander Journs.

Journs: Response

Rosek: If I might have a moment with my new Assistant Chief?

Journs: Of course, Commander. ::hugs Snow:: Congratulations again!

Lephi / Snow / th’Koro: Response

Rosek: ::smiles at Snow:: Don’t worry, Doctor. I’m only borrowing her for a moment. And then she’s all yours. ::winks::

Her sensitive ears had picked up the small talk between the two earlier as they’d approached Jo Marshall and company. It hadn’t taken a genius to figure out that the two were pursuing a non-platonic interest. That and she knew all too well from Dassa calling Tobian imzadi on numerous occasions just what the term meant.

Once they were out of hearing range of the others, Lael turned to Lephi, her voice low.

Rosek: ::murmurs:: So. Doctor Snow? ::grins:: You have good taste, Lieutenant.

Lephi: Response

Rosek: I’m happy for you. ::smiles nostalgically:: Young love.

Lephi: Response

Rosek: ::pauses:: Actually, I pulled you aside to ask you a favor. I’d like to hold that christening down in Engineering before we officially kick off. I was wondering if we could sit down tomorrow morning to work out the details.

Lephi: Response

Normally, she’d have been hesitant to give someone so new to the job this amount of responsibility, but she’d had more than enough time to consider her options. She couldn’t handle this all herself and one of the qualities of a good department head was delegating. She felt this was the perfect first task for Lephi in her new role.

Rosek: ::nods:: I’d like you to compile and present the proposal to Commander Thoran. ::grins:: I’ll, of course, be present, but you’ll have center stage.

Lephi: Response

----

Chief Engineer
USS Chin'toka, NCC-97187