Lieutenant Cadfael Peters: The Accolades

Timothy Alentonis

Jan 24, 2020, 6:43:26 AM1/24/20
to sb118-c...@googlegroups.com

(( Main Shuttlebay, USS Juneau, Mynok Spring Concerns ))

Reynolds: I remember there were theories that there were more subspace layers when I worked back at Utopia Planitia. Nothing we had evidence for at the time, but the possibilities were exciting. ::She lifted a skinny hand, gesturing to the ship around her.:: And now the possibilities are a reality, thanks to you two.

She was talking to Rahman and Oddas with that last line, from what he could tell. He was certain he would be able to arrange a rendezvous with either Teller or Johns to show the admiral around the warp core, once the party was over.

Oddas: Attention, please.

She waited for the talk to die down. straightened her uniform, and looked from face to face.

Oddas: A few years ago I was a young Lieutenant who did some math which didn't make sense and asked a mentor for advice. I didn't imagine it would lead me here, to a ship, an engine, and a crew redefining what the Warp Scale looks like.  Our voyage was meant to be a simple cruise but like all things, in Starfleet, it became something more, proof officers from across the fleet could be thrown together and perform under pressure, get the job done, and do it with a grace befitting and expected of the service.  I am proud to serve with you and to call you my colleagues.

She led the group in a small round of applause.

Any: Response

Oddas: I promise to make this sort since I know some of you have other plans, but we do want to recognize some important people.  First, because this is the Juneau's first mission everyone aboard is Awarded the Maiden Voyage Ribbon. Likewise, due to your work on the project and your Warp XV Engine, in general, you have been awarded the Project Capstone Ribbon and the Warp XV Pioneer.  Thank you very much, please wear them with pride.

Those three ribbons, he had never actually heard of. He wasn't all that surprised, as a lot of ribbons were probably coming into existence all the time and were above his pay grade. She waited for the applause to die down a bit before she began speaking.

Oddas: Next, because those things did not go as planned, you are receiving both the Legion of Merit and the Orion Syndicate Service Medal.  This is in recognition that things do not always go as planned, but individually, and as a crew, Starfleet always overcomes.

Kiliak: Each of you has individually proven your mettle, your wits, and your bravery in the short time we've spent together aboard our surprisingly capable little ship. It is a unfortunate truth that in Starfleet, rare constellations such as ours cannot hang in the sky for long. But I am proud to have been a part of this crew, for this time.

Oddas: Now, if the XO could help me pass out of a few individual awards.  :: pause:: It is unfortunate, but a mission such as ours did lead to a some injuries, and for that we recognize them in the only way we can, though it seems insignificant.  Mister Peters, Sienelis, and Hyden, all received injuries in the line of duty, :: blushing slightly and speaking quickly to get past her own name:: along with their Captain, and to acknowledge that we extend a small token of our thanks, the Purple Heart,  as well as an admonishment to please not make it a habit.

As Kiliak passed out the boxes containing the ribbons she shook each of the officer's hands and offered a sincere thank you. As the reality of the words “purple heart” sank in, he swallowed roughly. That made two of those blasted things he’d received. He hoped it wouldn’t become a habit.

Kiliak: You've shed blood in the line of duty. I salute each of you. Thank you for your service to Starfleet and to the Federation.

Peters: oO Not again. Oo :: Pause. :: oO Say something, you idiot. Oo Thank you, captain.

Sienelis/Hyden: Response

Oddas: Likewise, the barebones nature of our mission meant more improvisation than usual, and this was readily apparent as Commander Adea worked saved Ensign Dhawan with the minimal of equipment available to him.  For his efforts, he is awarded the Silver Lifesaving Ribbon.

He didn’t quite catch what Kiliak said to Adea as the doctor received his award. Though judging by the look on Adea’s face, it was probably something deep and meaningful. Aria shook the man's hand and then looked to her next to awards and took deep breaths.

Oddas: When the Juneau was being boarded Commander Kelrod went to great lengths to put himself in harm's way, showing gallantry and heroism.  By definition, this qualifies him for the Good Conduct Ribbon and I am proud to present it to him.

Kiliak: ::shaking his hand:: And besides, we were fresh out of Bad Boy Ribbons.

Kelrod: Thank you. I did it the best I could. I was a bad boy a long time ago, so I'm okay with this one.

Oddas: It is not often an officer is in a position to present an award to a teacher, a mentor, and a superior officer. Today, I am just that lucky.  Captain Rahman was not only instrumental in this project but also in the successful completion of this voyage. I am doubly honored to be able to give her the Captain's Commendation.  Thank you very much, ma'am.

Rahman: Response

Oddas: It has been my pleasure to serve with you all on this endeavor and despite its obvious dangers, fun.  You have made an Engineer's dream come true. :: picking up the glass of blue liquid already poured :: To the crew of the Juneau!

Kiliak: Here here!

Kelrod: Here here!

Reynolds: There's one last award to present.

She maintained a small smile, well-practised on the face of a woman who struggled with public speaking. But the struggle was worth it, seeing the swell of pride lighting the eyes of those who'd earned the recognition.

Reynolds: The simple fact is that this project wouldn't exist without the intellect, dedication and courage of Captain Oddas Aria. From its foundation in her discoveries of additional subspace layers, to commanding the test flight of the USS Juneau in the face of sabotage and assault, she has been a driving force, pushing back the boundaries of our technology, knowledge and understanding. We are more than we were, and it's thanks to Captain Oddas. ::She paused for a brief moment.:: It's for this reason I am honoured to present her with the Distinguished Service Ribbon.

Her smile widened, and she slipped a small case out of her pocket, opening the lid and presenting it to the Bajoran. No handshake was offered, the half-Deltan always eschewing that particular human tradition, but she did offer a brief, congratulatory pat on the woman's bicep.

Oddas: Thank you, Sir.

Reynolds: Congratulations, Captain. ::Her eyebrows quirked up, warmth on her freckled features.:: And very well done.

Oddas: This is very unexpected.  I truly have no words.

Reynolds: Response

Oddas: The crew deserved it, the mission turned out to be much more than the simple cruise we all thought it would be.

Reynolds: Response

Aria smiled. Cadfael poured himself a glass of gin and counted the ribbons he’d received. Overall, he thought, he did well -- but there was something about purple hearts that just made him nervous. Neither incident was alike. The first time, he was too close to an explosion. The second time, he was burned and received a laceration across the temple.

Oddas: Fair enough.

Reynolds / Teller: Response

As the party continued, he sipped his gin and watched quietly as the other officers mingled. He didn’t know what to expect, but it seemed like there was one more addition to the party who seemed to have something to say -- their chief engineer.

Teller: Response

===
Lieutenant Commander Timothy  Alentonis
Science Officer