Dr Blueheart - Drowning On Dry Land

raj.blueheart

Nov 11, 2015, 3:31:51 AM11/11/15
to UFOP: StarBase 118 - USS Avandar

((Bridge, USS Avandar))

Blueheart: If it’s okay with you, ::looking to the both of them:: I’d also like to be a part of the away team if there’s a need for one. I could use the distraction.

Vetri: I don't doubt it.

::A call came in over the comm for Major Siris, and Raj turned slightly to allow him some privacy. But not before recognizing the voice at the other end of the line.::

Blueheart: oO Rudat?? What’s she up to?? Oo

::He didn’t get the opportunity to find the answer to his question – not yet anyway – as the Captain voiced her thoughts, drawing his attention.::

Vetri: Okay, we're know where we need to look, and we know they're not exactly shy about throwing around high-yield weapons. Good place to be taking civilians?

Blueheart: Definitely not, Sir.

Vetri: Right, so we need somewhere to drop them off. Luckily, we have just the thing. Helm, lay in a course to rendezvous with the Halo. Let them know we're coming, and that we have both news and refugees.

::He was about to respond with a “Good idea” but Major Siris joining them with a peculiar look quickly squashed that notion.::

Vetri: Problem?

::But the Marine First Officer made his way to the Science station instead, where the chief of Science had waved him over. He heard something about dilithium, and some gas, and drowning. He was already walking over to the station even before he was called over.::

T’Lea: .. .. Doctor, Blueheart, come look at this a moment please.

::When he joined them, he managed to piece together the information displayed before him. He had no doubt in his mind that Nurse Bell Rudat had informed both LtCmdr T’Lea and Major Siris of her findings. He had to admit, he was mighty impressed with her enterprising course of action. He was also however, mildly annoyed that she had broken protocol and not alerted him first. He would deal with that later.::

T’Lea:  Ryan is having trouble breathing, I believe this is the reason.

Blueheart: Acute pulmonary edema!

Siris: response

Blueheart: It’s the respiratory system’s way to counter extensive inflammation of its airways – by producing copious amounts of fluids to extinguish the fire, so to speak. Unfortunately, when this protective mechanism is exaggerated, it results in excessive fluid in the lungs, effectively drowning the patient!

Siris/T’Lea/Vetri: response

Blueheart: ::He opened a commlink to Sickbay and spoke aloud with the intention those around him will be able to hear.:: =/\= Nurse Rudat, start Ensign Ryan on high-dose corticosteroids to counter the inflammation. She will also need a low dose or two of the diuretic frusemide. Give her a 100% oxygen until her sats pick up. She should respond to the treatment in no time. =/\=

Siris/T’Lea/Vetri: response

Blueheart: Are you experiencing similar symptoms, Major?

Siris: response

Blueheart: What happened on the slave ship? Nurse Rudat told me what few words Ensign Ryan uttered, and judging from the timeline of symptom manifestation from exposure, you were both exposed on that ship.

Siris/T’Lea/Vetri: response

Blueheart: Hmm.. probably a failsafe created by the enslavers to keep people like us from revealing their secret to the world. Well at least now we know what else to prepare for should we encounter them again, which is something that’ll happen sooner rather than later, I gather.

Siris/T’Lea/Vetri: response

Blueheart: ::nodding, then turning to Siris:: Drop by Sickbay after your shift, or sooner if you’re symptomatic, for a full examination. I need to be sure.

Siris: response

T’Lea/Vetri: response

TBC/TAG

Captain Raj Blueheart