Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek: Gadgets Galore

Lael Rosek

Sep 20, 2020, 1:42:41 AM9/20/20
to sb118-a...@googlegroups.com

((Beta Quadrant, Par'tha Expanse, USS Atlantis, Deck 11, Main Engineering, Main Level, on Route to Earth))

Thanks to Lephi and her team, they’d been ready well before the 90-minute deadline, a fact that she’d been more than pleased to report to the bridge. It wasn’t often she got to flash a miracle worker badge. She’d been certain to give the young Ferengi credit, of course. She had quite a team on this boat and she was looking forward to getting to know them more.

At some point over the remaining shoreleave, if there was time, she’d likely be speaking to Amuro and his team about running some scenarios on the holodeck. It was an unfortunate reality out here that there could very well be an attempt or three to take over Engineering at some point. She figured McKnight was familiar enough with what the Atlantis had encountered in the Expanse that he could provide some good insights for plausible drills.

Hell, he and his team, with their expertise, could likely attempt to breach the engine room. It would be a good way to figure out both the location’s and her team’s weaknesses in an effort to tighten things up in case they ever were to be boarded. Once that was done, they could all sit down to come up with emergency lockdown procedures which they could practice regularly to keep sharp on them.

An unfamiliar voice snapped her from her thoughts and she turned to find a man she’d never seen before approaching. She arched an eyebrow, wondering what a—her gaze flicked to his collar—Marine was doing down here in the bowels.

Logan: :: Opening his arms wide Smiling widely:: Commander. Logan, Marine Detachment. It's been a while since you came aboard and strickly speaking you've had numerous of them. Which does make this a little redundant but regardless of that it would be considered ungentlemanly not to do so. So Welcome to the Potemkin.

She somehow managed to keep the laugh from escaping, though it was a near thing. Having not been in the room with him for more than a couple of minutes, she couldn’t tell if he was trying and failing to charm her or if him using the wrong ship name had been intentional. She’d met enough men like Logan that it didn’t faze her. In her younger years, it had been a wasted night if she left the bar she was visiting without at least half a dozen men trying to seduce her.

Rosek: ::grins:: The Potemkin, Mr. Logan? Damn. Headquarters must have gotten my transfer orders mixed up again. Here I thought this was the Atlantis.

She’d hoped the humor would take a bit of the sting out of his slip, but she noted how his smile faltered, his gaze flickering to the Engineering staff hard at work.

Logan: So not the Potemkin then.... ::Shaking his head :: Wow... that would at least explain the strange looks I've been getting. You'd expect at the very least for everyone to be told if they had decided on a name change wouldn’t you, but nooooooo obviously not. In any case, Welcome to the Atlantis.

She arched her eyebrows higher. That she knew of, the vessel hadn’t undergone a name change recently. The joke was carrying a bit far and had he not acknowledged his faux pas, she’d have begun to question his sanity. Fortunately for him, she was well aware that first impressions were difficult and she tended to be more forgiving of strange behavior upon first meeting someone.

Rosek: ::chuckles:: Thank you for the welcome. I’ve been pleasantly surprised. I half expected, given the crew’s loyalty to Toryn, to receive less than a warm one. Though I suppose that’s my past talking.

Catching the slip too late, she forced the smile to remain despite the sheepish one threatening to replace it. She wondered just how much of the crew knew the details of her and Toryn’s short-lived affair. She didn’t take him for the type to air his dirty laundry, especially in a professional setting.

Logan: Potemkin Atlantis, Atlantis Potemkin what's in a name, except if you need rescuing and then it will probably matter a great deal. But that's something else for a later date, I did come here to ask you about a few things. The first is…

She noted the pack he allowed to fall from his shoulder and how he dug in it for an item clearly of particular interest to him.

Logan: ::Talking to himself:: I know it here... I know it is...as I packed it especially...YES !!!!!

Given his victorious shout, she assumed he’d found what he’d been looking for. Her theory was confirmed when he rose with the object in hand.

Logan: This a door mechanism power thingy m'bob. A previous Engineer gave me this one when we had to search Deep Space 26 after the Valcarians stole it.

She accepted the device from Logan, turning it over in her hands and studying it thoroughly. There was nothing particularly extraordinary about the device. They had any number of them stored in one of the cargo bays. She’d had one of the Engineering teams do a thorough inventory not long after she’d arrived.

Rosek: Interesting. What’s the difference between this and the ones we have in the cargo bay?

Logan: This one is optimized for Federation and Federation / Chon systems. I wondered if there’s a way to broaden its ability to work with the other ships in the Expanse, Valcarian, Caraadian, etc and or our known ones Klingon, Romulan, Al- Leyan for example.

While she didn’t have the schematics of this particular device on hand, she imagined it would be a simple matter of programming it to recognize multiple system algorithms. Of course, it would require a certain familiarity with the systems it was being programmed to. But it was certainly possible.

Rosek: ::looks up and nods:: It’s possible. My team would need to study it further to get a feel for any differences between this and the Federation standard equivalent.

Logan: I have a spare so that is most splendid.

Rosek: Once we have a working model, we might even be able to modify a few of the ones sitting in the cargo bay for a similar purpose. ::pauses:: I’m assuming these would be used for rescue operations?

Logan: Rescue?........ I hadnt thought of that use, that's BRILLIANT.. I'll have to remember how good your Daddles are.

Logan was turning out to be one of the more--interesting--men she’d met. He had a peculiar way of speaking that forced her to stop and think for a moment or two in an attempt to understand what he was saying. She certainly hoped he was more clear when it came to an actual hazardous situation.

Rosek: ::nods:: My team and our resources are at your disposal for any and all Federation-approved tasks. However, we can’t be a party to anything that would violate anyone’s right to privacy.

Logan: Indeed that could cause a bad case of Mafficking and we can’t have that can we?

She considered his response for a long moment, studying his expression.

Rosek: As long as that’s understood.

Smiling, she dropped her gaze to the bag before lifting it back up to meet his.

Rosek: I hope you don’t carry that on away teams. It seems bulky and like it would make a lot of noise.

Logan: Oh no I am far too 'maldiligenta' ((Lazy))  for that, I just carry it around the ship to make it look like I know what I'm doing. ::Bending down to the bag:: im still staying to work out what these mesh things are on the side. :: Pulling at the mesh attached up both sides of the pack.::

She arched an eyebrow. A fair few people on this ship seemed to speak at least a bit of Esperanto. She wasn’t sure if that should come as a surprise or not given that two full-blooded Al-Leyans resided on the ship. Still, it seemed unusual that they would invest the time in learning it. Lael had in order to better understand her heritage and where she came from. But there were only three people aboard (including herself) who had a valid reason to speak it.

Logan: They cant be ... you'd could lose things through the mesh, bad design I'd say but never the less it serves its purpose I suppose.

Logan rose and pulled a data PADD out of his pack. The man seemed to have a never-ending supply of things on his person.

Logan: Hello, I thought I'd lost you dear oh dear that would never do. ::Looking back to the Engineer:: Well speaking of which I do have a couple of things to run past you then, well that is as long as your not to fast for me.

She nodded, trying to focus on the gist of his words. Logan was an enigma she hoped to figure out in time. It was their first meeting and the last thing she wanted to do was to offend the man.

Logan: Well one of them is a what I call a stun fence, basically thinking it as two rows of phases set on stun which has both a proximity firing system and self targeted. And a manual firing option. The other is called a Taser barricade, I found it while looking through the letter 'T' in the Computer archive.

It was sounding more and more like Logan wanted a stack of gadgets he could use when and if it was convenient. As much as she could appreciate a good piece of tech, she preferred hand-to-hand and MacGyvering simple gadgets from material on hand. A large bag of tricks was bound to slow a person down.

Logan: Its basically the same idea but instead of an energy beam it fires darts that feed electricity into the body shorting out the nervous system. I have one and is most illuminating but I would suggest not trying it in yourself as it does prohibit..... pretty much anything for a while, which isnt good if you wanted lunch.

She chuckled, studying the data PADD. Honestly, some of these things were practical while others weren’t. She’d certainly need to take a closer look.

Rosek: These all very interesting ideas. Perhaps we can discuss them a bit more once I’ve had a chance to review them?

Logan: Response

Rosek: ::nods:: In m office sounds good. I’ll let you know.

Logan: Response

She opened her mouth to reply, but was cut off by Brandie calling her name from across Engineering.

Brandie: Hey, boss! Come take a look at this diagnostic!

Rosek: ::turns and yells back:: I’ll be right there.

Smiling, she turned back to Logan.

Rosek: I should get back to work. But I’ll let you know when I’ve had the chance to review this. ::indicates the PADD::

Logan: Response

Rosek: ::inclines her head:: You, too, Mr. Logan. See you around.

The man turned to leave and Lael strode toward the station where Brandie was working.

Rosek: So what’s the issue?

----

Chief Engineer
USS Chin'toka, NCC-97187