Lieutenant Serala: Awards and conflicted emotions

Jim Davis

Nov 3, 2018, 10:28:36 PM11/3/18
to USS Atlantis

(( Poseidon’s Lounge, Deck 2, USS Atlantis, Day 1 ))

:: Serala watched with amusement as the various groups participated in the spontaneous singing and dancing spurred by the new ensign’s singing display. She was deliberately avoiding looking at Toryn, which meant not looking at the Captain’s table since that was where he was sitting and chatting. As the party began to wind down, the helm officer began to excuse herself when suddenly the Captain stood and in imitation of her, began to tap on his glass to get everyone’s attention. ::

Brell: Thank you all for being here tonight. Sometimes it seems like just yesterday that I took this assignment. Others it is hard to imagine that I have served with you all for only a year. In our first year as crew together we have forged a lasting impression on the peoples of the Par’tha Expanse. Attempting to end disputes, coming to aid others when called, and studying planets no Starfleet officer has set foot on before. This ship has a noble history and this crew is adding to its grandness. I thank you all for being the best group of officers a commanding officer could hope for. Give yourselves a round of applause.

Raga: And the best Captain in the fleet!

:: A short but intense applause followed and then the gloating CO resumed. ::

:: She noticed the First Officer walk to a small case on the side of the room and bring it over to Brell. ::

oO Awards. Interesting. He usually saves those for the end of shore leave. I wonder who’s getting what? ::

Brell: Our last mission was one of fraught danger where we put ourselves in harms way to saves the lives of a Freeworlds member.

Williams: As you know by now our job isn’t always easy. And while we do what must be done sometimes we do more. It are these actions that deserve special recognition and therefore we are pleased to take a moment to thank some of you for doing more than just their duty.

Brel: To LtCmdr Williams, Dr. Cattan, Lieutenants Serala, Raga, and Dermont I am pleased to present you Lifesaving ribbons.

Williams: Please step forward to receive them.

oO Me? A Lifesaving Ribbon? Oo

:: Despite the numerous awards she had already earned in her short career, Serala never seemed to cease from being amazed when she was awarded another one. ::

Brell: Commander Tel-ar, Ensigns Maeli and Kiliak without your efforts here on Atlantis we could have lost both of the Korri freighters caught in the cloud and our away teams to the cloud. I award each of you a Captain’s Commendation.

Williams: Congratulations to you all. I have to admit part of your mission log was pretty exciting to read.

Brell: Leading a department is something that no one is truly prepared for until they hold it. The following officers have had to learn on the ground just how demanding it could be to be the Chief. Lieutenant Raga has led our Security and Tactical department with distinction. Lieutenant Dermont has brought his skill along with his own personal charm to leading Engineering. Sickbay is in many many just as if not more than so than the engine room and Doctor Cattan has her hands full with oversee the health of our crew and her dedicated medical staff. While the work of Lieutenant Danara and her team is not in open, it is and has been imperative to our efforts to try and stabilize the region. The Department Chief ribbon recognizes this service to our ship and it is my honor to present it to the four of you.

:: Serala had mixed feelings about these awards. Every one of them deserved their award. However, she was also beginning to feel as if she was always going to be second place to Toryn, and would never be eligible for this award herself. The one goal she had made for herself upon joining Starfleet was to reach the same rank her father had reached before he had retired. While she had made Lieutenant in a quick time, she wasn’t sure how much further she could go on this ship. Given her situation with Toryn, she wondered if maybe it wasn’t time to request a transfer. Still, for now she would be happy for them. Even her friend. ::

Williams: Well done chiefs! Without you this ship and its crew would be just one of many. Now, thanks to all your hard work we are really making a name for ourselves. Not just for Starfleet but also for this area of space. And that is not all…. I have one last box. Captain, you have lead us through a lot of storms last year. And although part of that had its reward when you got promoted to captain I thought you earned more then that. Therefore on behalf of Starfleet command, I present to you the Starship Commander Ribbon for all your hard work. 3 cheers for our Captain!

Brell: I owe the success of the past year to you all. Thank you. :: Placing his hand over his upper abdomen. :: from the bottom of my heart.

Raga: You're the one that keeps us all together Captain. Winds have blessed us all as a result.

Brell: Ensign Maeli, though you have not been with us for long your skill at the helm and in starship operations has been impressive. I hereby promote to you to rank of Lieutenant junior grade.

oO Good for her! Oo

Williams: You might think it’s a bit early perhaps, but you have shown us you are a quick study. A great example to everyone starting on Atlantis. Congratulations, Lieutenant.

Maeli: response

Brell: Finally, Lieutenant Raga, if you would join us.

Raga: Of course.

Brell: Your service to this ship has gone above and beyond in your time here. It is pleasure to promote you to the rank of Lieutenant Commander with all the rights and privileges that go along with it. :: He placed the half pip on Raga’s collar. ::

oO Good for him! Oo

:: Again, she had mixed emotions. As his friend, she was happy for him. As an eager Starfleet officer, she felt overshadowed. ::

Raga:  Thank you, sir. I'm honored.

Brell: You have earned it, Congratulations Commander.

Williams: And that is not all. Mr Raga given your hard work over the past few months you have proven to us you are a man who can experience others in doing their work. You lead by example and that is why I recommend you to become Atlantis Second Officer.  Needles to say the captain agreed. So ladies and gentle, may I ask for a round of applause for Lt. Commander Raga.

:: Serala stood and applauded with everyone else. Truly, she was happy for him. Perhaps, she just needed some distance. She had heard Stafleet was launching another Intrepid class starship. Perhaps she could transfer there. Have the space she needed for her own career goals. ::

Raga: Thank you, sir.

Williams: And that concludes our ceremony for tonight. Some of you might want to head off soon. Porus, you definitely should since I know for a fact you have the early shift.

:: Laughter followed and Porus raised a cup in Alex direction. ::

Williams: Enjoy the rest of your evening.

:: Serala finished her glass of Romulan Ale and made her rounds congratulating those who had received rewards, even stopping to briefly congratulate Toryn before moving on. A few minutes later, she left the lounge and headed for her own quarters one deck down. ::

--
Lt Serala, Assitant Chief of Security and Tactical
USS Atlantis NCC-74682