Lt Commander Serala: Does this mean I get to square off again Mother?

Jim Davis

May 16, 2020, 11:14:49 PM5/16/20
to USS Atlantis

(( Observation Lounge, Deck 1, USS Atlantis ))

Journs: A large power in the region. Their republic is comprised of hundreds of worlds. If I’m recalling correctly, they’re in an expansionist phase of their development. The ones that I’ve encountered were very militaristic in their thinking and their demeanor. Much of what they did was about control.

Serala was kind of surprised that Ishka had spoken up on the subject rather than one of the others, but it was refreshing.

Thoran: Thank you Dr. Journs. I think you have covered the Valcarian Imperial Republic quite well. They are very much a militaristic, expansionist society. Until recently they had parts of the Par’tha Expanse under occupation, including the Caraadian Noble Houses.

Mattheiu: Response

Serala: :: turning to the two new Ensigns :: There have been some recent political changes  within the VIR. It appears they may be on the verge of a civil war. But those are not our affairs. We will obviously be monitoring the situation, but we won’t be getting involved as a matter of Federation policy on non-interference. :: almost as an afterthought :: though it couldn’t hurt to take advantage of this opportunity to find out which way the wind’s blowing.

Any: Responses

Journs: ::pauses and turns to Thoran:: I assume, sir, that we won’t all be going down at once? That we’ll be sending a team?

Thoran: A good question Doctor, which I shall cover at the end of the briefing.

Journs: ::nods:: Yes, sir. ::pauses:: If I might, sir...I’d like to volunteer to be a part of whatever group goes.

Serala nodded in approval at Ishka’s eagerness, though she wasn’t sure how the doctor could contribute. But then again, she wasn’t sure about her own ability to contribute. After all, who was she kidding. She had been a security officer and a tactical officer and finally strategic operations. That last position helped her have a larger insight, but no one had ever claimed she was very diplomatic. One only had to ask that kllhe Perkins.

Thoran: Rather eager are you not Doctor?

Journs: ::smiles:: Doctors aren’t just good at medicine. Back home, my Haemachuo siblings would come to me at times to mediate their disagreements.

Logan: Lead on then Doc you obviously know what you're doing, that and they better watch out. I saw how you took on those Breen. ::Grinning::

G’Renn: As I understand it these events are not common for the Freeworlds. In addition to security concerns and formal diplomatic duties, it might be worthwhile to keep an eye on the other attendees, especially the Valcarians. Other factions might see this as an opportunity to establish influence in the region.

Logan: That sounds like everyone there

The Captain shifted in his seat and leaned forward, resting his elbows on the polished wood conference table. He pressed his lips together, making a faint sucking sound.

Thoran: I agree. No doubt there is going to be a lot of politicking happening at the conference. I would not be surprised if there are back room deals. We will have to remain vigilant for any signs of foul play, and remember that we are representing the Atlantis and the Federation.

Serala: Well, isn’t that kind of the point to these conferences? I mean, my mother is the diplomat in the family -technically, anyway - but it seems to me that the point is politics. And that usually means backroom deals.

Any: Response

Thoran: Any further questions?

Any: Response

((OOC: Also happy to continue this part))

(( TBC ))

Lt. Commander Serala
First Officer
Training Team Member