PNPC Commander R’Val: Motherly advice

Jim Davis

Jul 27, 2018, 9:21:53 PM7/27/18
to USS Atlantis - NCC-74682

(( Commander R’Val’s Quarters, Deck 15, R.R.S.S. Illa’variea, Beta Quadrant, en route to DS26 ))

Serala: That has got to be the second worse day in my life. The first being the day daddy died. I hurt him. Badly. So badly, it seemed as if he was in real pain. And worse, not realizing how he felt, I had asked him to stand in daddy’s place and give me away since he was the only male figure I feel close enough to. I don’t really know anyone else well enough to ask that of them. But that only seemed to make it worse. He still said he would do it, but I don’t think it would be fair to ask that of him knowing how much it will hurt him to do so. By now, he’s had enough time that he no doubt has turned that pain into anger and rage, and that will lead to hate. Soon enough, Toryn is going to hate me for this, and I don’t know what to do about it.

:: Tears were brimming in her eyes and she had worked herself up to near hysteria with that last little monologue. R’Val felt sorry for her, but she had chosen to love the Al-Leyan. Now it was time to break that bond. Serala wasn’t going to like what she was about to say, but it would be necessary. ::

R’Val: Well, Serala. If you will listen to your mother one more time, I will give you a piece of advice. However, I must warn you that you are not going to like it.

Serala: What is it, mother?

R’Val: My advice is to do nothing. He’s not your problem. Nothing you can do is going to change how he feels. Stay away from him and give him his space.

Serala: But, Mother…

:: R’Val raised her hand to forestall Serala’s complaint. ::

R’Val: But Mother, nothing, Serala. You are too attached to him. It is unfair to your husband. He deserves your entire heart. In time, the wounds you have caused each other will heal and you can renew your friendship. Until then, it is best that you keep your interactions with him strictly professional.

Serala: I don’t know if I can do that, Mother. I have so few friends as it is, and Toryn is my best friends. I can’t just end that relationship, no matter how much pain both of us are in.

R’Val: Serala, I am not suggesting you end your friendship. Just, suspend it for a time.

Serala: Mother. I know that I don’t have your years, …

oO Did she just call me old? Oo

Serala: ... nor do I fully conform to your Romulan standards, being half-human and all, but what you are suggesting is not possible. One just doesn’t stop being friends because it is inconvenient. Otherwise, the friendship was never real to begin with. I would think your time on Earth would have broken a few of your bad habits from the time when you lived in the Romulan Empire. Then, you couldn’t afford to risk true friendship, so perhaps it is possible you just don’t understand this concept.

R’Val: That was a pretty severe accusation, Serala. I am sorry you feel that way about me. Perhaps I am a bit stuck in my ways, but being a part of the Republic is forcing me to re-evaluate some things. And, despite what you may think, I understand the concept of friendship quite well.

Serala: I apologize if I offended you, Mother. It is just that you put me off balance with your suggestion --

R’Val: - Advice, Serala. Not a suggestion.

Serala: Very well, advice. But I just don’t think it is possible. Still, perhaps I should pull back from his some. Not all the way, but some. At least for a little while. So, if I can’t ask Toryn to stand in for Daddy, who should I ask?

R’Val: Now, that, my dear, is not a question I can answer. Now, how about we select a dress, shall we?

::  Serala smiled widely and nodded her head. ::

Serala: I would love that, Mother.

TBC

--
Lt JG Serala, Security Officer