Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek: A Few Questions

Lael Rosek

Aug 3, 2020, 12:46:28 AM8/3/20
to sb118-a...@googlegroups.com

OOC: The message below was sent the night before.

//

To: All Engineering Department Staff

From: Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek

Subject: Department Meeting

All team leaders and officers, regardless of regular duty shift assignments, are requested to attend a mandatory department meeting tomorrow at 0800.

//

((Chief Engineer’s Office, Deck 11, USS Atlantis, In orbit of Ilara Prime, Par’tha Expanse))

{{Time Index: Day 2 of Shoreleave, Morning}}

Technically, she’d been cleared for active duty by someone at Starfleet Medical. The onboarding here, in light of that, was just a formality. She much preferred to be here going over the necessary PADDwork and becoming acquainted with her team. Her rank allowed her clearance for the more important Chief engineer duties. For the moment, she was just a filler until someone had been officially assigned. She was okay with that. The tricky part, however, was maintaining the goodwill of the officers down here in the process.

Rosek: oO Credit where credit is due. Oo

These officers knew more about the ins and outs of this particular engine and this particular ship than she did. She knew a great deal about Intrepid-class ship design and systems in general, but she knew every ship had its own quirks. Until she became more familiar with the Atlantis’s, she’d have to rely on the people who worked down here every day to help keep up with the necessary maintenance.

Having composed a basic duty rotation schedule, she picked up a stack of PADDs from the edge of the desk and entered main engineering. Upon stepping out of the office, she caught sight of Lephi.

Rosek: ::glances at the chronometer:: It’s about that time, Ensign. Let’s gather everyone by the warp core. This hopefully shouldn’t take too long.

Lephi: Aye Sir, happy to help. I'll gather the folks on the port side if you take the starboard side.

Rosek: Response

Between the two, they were able to assemble the group fairly quickly, which meant more time for Lael to address the agenda items. She wasn’t familiar with all of the faces, so that was step one. Placing herself front and center, she called for everyone’s attention. As the din of noise quieted, she looked out at the group with a smile.

Rosek: Hello and thank you for coming. ::grins:: Though I know for some of you it meant altering your sleep schedule slightly.

Lephi: It's worth it just to get to work that much faster.

Ravesa / Dermont / Anyone: Response

She turned to Lephi, offering her the stack of PADDs and asking that she hand one to everyone. With that done, she turned her attention back to the gathered crowd.

Rosek: I’ll be heading things up down here until a Chief is officially appointed and I called this meeting partly to get to know you all a bit better and partly to get a better understanding of where we stand on tasks as a department.

Lephi: Commander, if I may. I know it's not directly ship related, but I do have communications logs from the security director's office from the conference. I'd like to spend some time looking over them to see if there's anything that can help us solve this mystery once I get settled.

Lael nodded. She was vaguely familiar with the Atlantis crew’s last mission and assumed that Ensign Lephi’s request had something to do with wrapping the investigation. Not that Lephi’s talents weren’t both needed and wanted here on other projects. But she’d just have to trust the Ensign’s ability to prioritize tasks.

Rosek: Of course.

Ravesa / Dermont / Anyone: Response

With that taken care of, she lifted the PADD that she’d kept and studied it for a moment, noting the first item.

Rosek: So first off, let’s all go around the room and introduce ourselves. Name, rank, and duty post or specialty should work. And if you like, a bit about yourself. ::pauses:: I’ll start. ::grins:: I’m Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek and I’ve been a Starfleet officer for about five years. I’ve served on a number of ships, including the Veritas, the Montreal, and the Astraeus. I graduated last year with a doctorate in Biomechanical Engineering, specializing in Nanotechnology. I’m the mother of a lovely 8-year-old girl named Maddy.

The young Ensign who had addressed her moments before seemed as eager as she was to get started, the Ferengi jumping to introduce herself next.

Lephi: I'm Ensign Lephi, this is my first posting out of the Academy. I've been fixing starships since before I could walk though, so don't underestimate my abilities, please. I specialized in component and material engineering. Unlike the Commander, I have no children, and no wife ::beat:: yet.

She didn’t miss the use of the word “wife”. It was both surprising and unsurprising. Lael herself had had girlfriends and female companions. In fact, about half of her relationships had been with women. Ivina, who she’d met and fallen in love with at the Academy, had been her first serious relationship. She’d spent most of her early teens goofing off and doing all she could to not take herself seriously.

Rosek: ::smiles and nods:: Welcome aboard, Ensign.

Ravesa / Dermont / Anyone: Response

When everyone had introduced themselves, she moved on to the next item on the list: current and ongoing projects and repairs. She made a note on the PADD of the project Lephi had mentioned, adding a reminder to look deeper into the mission reports from the conference. She prided herself on knowing what was going on with her ship and crew. What kind of leader would she be if she didn’t know what the various members of her department were up to?

Rosek: Do we have any other ongoing projects or repairs that I should be aware of aside from Ensign Lephi’s investigations into the Security director’s communications logs?

Lephi/Ravesa / Dermont / Anyone: Response

She entered notes on the PADD as each person spoke, looking up occasionally and nodding in acknowledgment. It had always been tough for her to show she was listening and to take notes at the same time. Something she’d learned over the years was a few moments of eye contact and a smile or nod every so often was enough to let the person know she was listening even while making notes.

When that item was done, she looked up and smiled.

Rosek: I think that does it for now. If anyone has any questions or any problems, you know where to find me.

As the crowd dispersed, she signaled to Lephi.

Rosek: Ensign, I wonder if you might fill me in a little bit more on the details of what happened on the station.

Lephi: Response

Rosek: ::nods:: The reports are fairly thorough, yes. But I prefer to hear a first-hand account...partly so I can ask clarifying questions.

Lephi: Response

She grinned and studied the woman for a moment. Perhaps it was an ingrained habit from her time in the red collar, but she didn’t like being out of the loop on anything. Besides, she needed a way to break the ice with Lephi that didn’t involve Maddy nearly being mowed down in the corridor.

Rosek: ::motions toward the Chief’s office:: Join me in my office?

Lephi: Response

----

Engineering Officer
USS Atlantis, NCC-74682