Lt Commander Serala: Calming the nerves

Jim Davis

Jul 4, 2019, 3:02:30 PM7/4/19
to USS Atlantis

(( Shuttle B’Hala, en route to Chon Outpost Beta, Jenatris sector ))

McKnight: Alright, everyone, off we go

Avae: I can't believe I'm finally getting to see something new firsthand. Seeing something thousands of years old and who knows what we'll run into, I doubt any of the Chon survived this long but their technology is still around so who knows and the transmission did say there was a medical emergency, though it also said there's no lifesigns or crew on the station so that doesn't make sense but maybe it's just a glitch somewhere in the station or the medical emergency could be something left over from thousands of years ago and it might have been broadcasting it all this time but Deep Space 26 never noticed. I mean we don't really know all that much about their technology other than how to operate some of it and who knows what's happened to the station we're going to after all this time so really anything could happen. I just really hope I don't let everyone down, I mean how embarrassing would it be to mess up on my first away mission. I'd never live it down.

oO By the Elements, was I ever that eager? If she keeps rambling on like that, I may lose my mind. Oo

:: Amused, and becoming slightly annoyed, Serala turned her chair around to face the lavender-haired nurse. She just sat there quietly, hoping the woman would take the hint. Serala knew her temper was on edge, and the last thing she needed was to say something and have it come out wrong. The nurse’s assistance might be invaluable and she couldn’t afford to alienate her now. She saw the Klingon hybrid do the same only a moment later, and after a few more moments, the Orion sergeant began to giggle. An odd sound for a grizzled Marine Gunnery Sergeant. That seemed to clue the Antosian in and she suddenly stopped speaking, her cheeks turning bright red. ::

Avae: OH NO,  no, no, no, no...I was just thinking to myself!!

Solana:  I'm pretty sure you were thinking to all of us. :: She laughed ::

Avae: Jenta!!

McKnight: No need to be shy. That was adorable.

Serala: Actually, it’s okay, Ensign. You actually brought up a few good points. None of us are Engineers, though we’ve all been through the basics at the Academy, and how is there a medical emergency when we can’t read any lifesigns on the station. Some things to think about.

Avae: Oh..uhm...thank you...sirs.

Serala: You’re welcome, Wyla, but do let’s try and minimize the nervous rambling, huh? It makes me edgy and that is the last thing I need.

McKnight: We're just out of Atlantis's sensor range. We're on our own now.

oO Great. Speaking of something that makes me edgy. Oo

Serala: Very well, Captain. I’m going to start scanning for the station and try to get some preliminary readings; see if we can’t get a jump on what’s going on here.

Avae: Let's hope we won't need them. :: Serala heard her, despite her muttering, thanks to her keen ears, and couldn’t help but silently agree. ::

Solana: The last update we received from Atlantis before moving out of range. Their shields will only protect the ship for four or five hours at most. Once they've exceeded the safe limit they'll return to the Corridor to let the shields recharge before returning to their previous position.

Serala: I expected that. Apparently, Lieutenant Maeli had done some modifications to help extend their life expectancy inside the Cloud, but it still won’t last forever.

McKnight: Response

Solana: If I had to guess, say, a half hour to the corridor at full impulse at its closest point. One, maybe two hours to recharge the shields. Then a half hour back into position. ::The Orion double checked her calculations:: For every four hours in the cloud they'll be out of position for another two to three.

Avae: A lot of things could happen in two to three hours. ::She said apprehensively::

McKnight: response

Serala: Try and relax, Avae. Where I grew up, they had a saying: No vale la pena contar tus pollos antes de que eclosionen. My mother would say, Mneitukhe emael peraeruti mogai ja astev navassa. Either way, it comes down to the same thing: No use worrying about what could be. Be prepared just in case, but don’t worry. Leave that to me, huh? That’s part of my job description. I think.

(( OOC: No use counting your chickens before they’re hatched in Spanish and Romulan, though the Romulan is quite loose since there is no word for chicken. The word is for any flightless, edible bird. ))

Avae: ::She nodded:: Yes, ma'am. I'll try. ::She took a deep breath::

Lt. Commander Serala
Chief of Tactical and Security
Atlantis Staff Member
Training Team Member