Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek: The Burdens of Being First Officer

Lael Rosek

Aug 27, 2019, 4:24:45 AM8/27/19
to SB118-Astraeus

((Brig, Deck 4, USS Astraeus))

Khamar: ::turns to Wrader and smirks:: You’d best be a good pet and listen to your master. Wouldn’t want her prize favorite getting hurt.

She stiffened, fighting the urge to step into the cell and pummel the Cardassian herself. A scowl twisted her lips for a moment before it gave way to a deadly serious expression, her gaze meeting the Cardassian’s for a long moment without blinking, her eyebrows arched high as though daring him to continue.

Wrader: ::smiling slightly and turning to Rosek:: Of course, ma’am.

Khamar: ::chuckles darkly:: Come now, Commander. I’ve looked into the eyes of psychopathic killers. Surely you don’t think you pitiful attempts will intimidate me.

Slowly, she stepped into the cell and strode toward where Khamar laid, dropping down beside him, her eyes never leaving his. She tilted her head slightly, not speaking for a long moment.

Rosek: I don’t expect to intimidate you, Khamar. Only to remind you that you don’t have the power over your fate that you seem to think you do.

Wrader: Indeed, I believe you have lost the ability to provide your masters what they tasked you to deliver. Even should you escape from our ship by some means, your future will once more rest in their hands.

She resisted the urge to glance in Wrader’s direction, hoping to drive home her point to the Cardassian in front of her. Her gaze narrowed as she mustered feelings of disdain, using her projection abilities to her advantage. She focused those feelings directly at the Cardassian, praying that Wrader didn’t get mixed up in the crossfire. What she was about toed the ethical line and she was certain if anyone figured it out down the road, she was in for another dressing down, this time from Mei.

As Wrader’s last words sank in, she saw a flicker of fear behind the Cardassian’s eyes, but it was gone as quickly as it had come and amusement once again filled the man’s features. Frustration bubbled up inside of her and she somehow managed to control it, feigning boredom instead.

Khamar: I have no idea what you’re talking about, Magna Roman.

Wrader: ::cocking an eyebrow:: The Son’a, of course. Or do you mean to say they are not your masters? They certainly took a marked interest in preventing us from extracting you.

Khamar: ::arches his eyebrows:: And how can you be certain my capture by you isn’t precisely what they intended?

The Son’a were clever, but not that clever. It required an intriquicy of thought and an understanding of Federation tactics that she wasn’t sure they possessed. Khamar was good at  bluffing, she’d give him that. But then, years in politics had likely taught him how to save face with an opponent who appeared to have the upper hand.

Wrader: ::gesturing to the side:: Commander, might I have a word?

She desperately wished she spoke more than a couple words of his language to knock him down a peg or two. As it was, Cardassian wasn’t one of the languages she had a proficient understanding of. Sending a withering look and the accompanying disgust his way via her empathic projection abilities, she followed Wrader out of the cell, the field going up again as they exited.

She followed Wrader to a place outside of Khamar’s hearing range. A glance back at the cell revealed the man again taking up position on the bed.

Wrader: His disdain for the Son’a is apparent and yet so too is his dependency upon them. If we utilize that, I believe he will tell us more than he intends.

Rosek: ::nods:: I got the impression that they hold his fate in their hands.

Wrader: I concur. As such, we will have to give the appearance of pursuing an entirely different strategy than that we have chosen. If he believes he has identified our course of action, he will focus upon it and leave other avenues of approach open.

Rosek: ::pauses:: Agreed. The conventional methods aren’t going to work on him.

Glancing at Khamar, he seemed fidgety. He felt safe here and was likely aware that this was his haven from his Son’a masters. He also likely was under the impression that he wouldn’t be released until he gave them the answers they were seeking. The second he did, he lost his protection.

Wrader: As a Cardassian, I believe he is accustomed to extreme pressure—physical or psychological—as the primary form of interrogation. If we present him with that possibility, he will doubtless believe it is our approach. It is simply a matter of who suggests that threat.

Rosek: ::pauses:: I think we need to take a different tack. He won’t see it coming.

Wrader: As you wish, Commander.

Rosek: ::smirks:: Follow my lead, Ensign.

Again, the pair strode back toward the cell with Lael in the lead. Khamar didn’t so much as sit up to acknowledge their presence. Another nod at Goodwell and the forcefield again came down. She stepped inside with Wrader beside her, hands tucked behind her back.

Rosek: ::sighs:: I can see we’ll get nowhere with this. ::features soften:: Are you comfortable? I can have one of our crewmen bring you something to drink and eat.

Khamar: ::turns toward her, narrowing his gaze:: What new trick is this, Federation?

Rosek: ::shrugs:: It’s clear that you have the advantage. You have information I need. So I’m willing to negotiate.

Wrader: ::contemptuously:: Negotiate, commander? With him?

She turned to the Ensign, her expression stern, hoping it conveyed for him to play along.

Rosek: ::to Khamar:: We can protect you from the Son’a. You’ve seen how our ship easily fought them off in battle. They’d be foolish to take us on again. If you share what you know about them, we won’t turn you over to them. If not… ::glances away from him for a moment, then meets his gaze again::

Khamar: ::scoffs:: You wouldn’t. You said yourself that I have knowledge you need.

Rosek: ::shrugs:: Not so valuable that I wouldn’t enjoy seeing you at their mercy. ::arches an eyebrow:: I’m bound by my duties to seek a peaceful solution. I’d rather not answer to my captain for dragging you into an escape pod and ejecting it for your masters to find.

She noted how Khamar’s features shifted, clearly trying to figure out what her end game was. She gave away nothing, her features expressionless as she used her abilities to project a nervousness she didn’t truly feel. He had to feel he had the advantage or he wouldn’t bite. Hopefully, it would force him to tip his hand.

Wrader: I should find it most…enjoyable to subdue you—again—in preparation for your jettisoning from our ship.

She saw Wrader out of the corner of her eye seemingly ready to pounce and she shook her head.

Rosek: Easy, Ensign.

Wrader: ::quietly:: Again, as you wish, Commander.

She could practically feel the heat of Wrader’s gaze as it rested on Khamar. She’d be needed on the bridge soon and she was certain between Shin and Wrader, the man would stick to his word. When the Cardassian’s eyes shifted to her, she arched her eyebrows, catching the hint of uncertainty in his gaze.

Wrader: Though I would find it quite disappointing, you must admit a Federation prison is preferable to whatever the Son’a would have in store for you.

Khamar: ::scowls:: I’ll help you. If only because I despise those contemptuous cowards. ::huffs:: They don’t even have the courage to face their enemy like warriors. Sneaking around in the shadows-- ::points a finger at both of them:: But I want protection.

Rosek: ::nods:: A wise choice. ::to Wrader:: Please continue the interrogation.

She stepped away from the cell and out of Khamar’s hearing range. Glancing back once more, she returned her focus to the bulkhead in front of her, tapping her commbadge twice.

Rosek: =/\= Rosek to Shin. =/\=

Shin: =/\= Response =/\=

Rosek: =/\= Ensign Wrader needs help interrogating a prisoner in the brig. I’m heading up to the bridge. =/\=

Shin: =/\= Response

Rosek: =/\= Understood. Rosek out. =/\=

Tapping her commbadge once to close the line, she returned to Wrader, leaning toward him to murmur in his ear.

Rosek: Shin is on his way. I’m needed on the bridge. You, myself, and Lieutenant Shin can debrief afterwards.

Wrader: Response

Turning on her heel, she exited the brig, sparing Michael a glance as she passed, taking in his gobsmacked expression. Her features softened, but only slightly. She was certain he was quickly realizing she wasn’t the same person as she’d been two and a half years ago. Time had taken its toll and her experiences had aged her far beyond her twenty-something years. No one ever said the burden of being first officer was easy.

---

Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek

Executive Officer, USS Astraeus, NCC-70652

I238110RH0

"The growth and develop of people is the highest calling of leadership." -- Harvey S. Firestone