Lt. Commander Anath G'Renn - A Change in Strategy (Part II)

Anath G'Renn

Nov 14, 2019, 3:24:26 AM11/14/19
to sb118-a...@googlegroups.com

((Primary Sickbay - Deck 12, USS Astraeus))

Anath closed the channel and looked back over to Yellir. The conversation with Rosek, Foster, and Bailey had interrupted their discussion mid-sentence. As the medical team were inoculated and began suiting up, she and Yellir had a different task in front of them. It was time to prepare for their avian guests.

G’Renn: Let’s get the isolation rooms sealed off and ready to receive our visitors. We’ll also need environmental suits.

Yellir: ?

There was nothing quite as horrible as those suits. While Yellir worked on getting the suits ready, she was enjoying the last few moments of freedom. Already she could feel the claustrophobic feeling of EVA gloves. Anath looked across the sickbay towards the hallway with eight isolation rooms ready for the avians. Each room was prepared with two biobeds and a selection of basic medical equipment.

G’Renn: Computer, activate quarantine fields in isolation wing, Level 4. After that, sterilize the rooms.

Computer: Affirmative

The computer buzzed in affirmation and the invisible shimmer of a quarantine forcefield appearing in the doorway could be briefly seen. Anath waited quietly for Yellir to return with the requested equipment, letting the computer do the work.

Yellir: ?

G’Renn: Always hated these suits. Especially the gloves. ::Anath loaded a hypospray with a dose of the inoculation.:: You’ll need to be innoculated, as well as the rest of sickbay.

Yellir: ?

Anath approached the nursing aide and injected her with the inoculation. After that she gave herself a dose of both the antiviral inoculations and preventative antibiotics. She set down the hypospray and examined the environmental suit gloves unenthusiastically. As she examined the gloves under the lights of sickbay, the lights around sickbay suddenly took on a yellow tint, accompanied by an alarm. The expected announcement came moments later.

Mei’konda: =/\= All hands, yellow alert.  There’s been an explosion on the alien mining vessel.  We are determining the status of our away teams. Bridge out. =/\=

She hurried preparing to treat the avian patients with proper quarantine procedures. Anath donned the EVA suit over her uniform piece by piece, starting with the lower layers. Then the boots and the life support system. With an unfortunate amount of experience, she was able to have the protective suit on within two minutes.

Another call from Captain Mei’konda, this time directed to sickbay directly, came through as she was still in the middle of setting up the comm panel on her arm. They needed to discuss plans for treating the avians, no doubt.

Mei’konda: =/\= Captain to Sickbay.  You will be receiving wounded shortly from the explosion aboard the alien ship.  Doctor G’Renn, I apologiize that we have not had a chaance to meet formally yet, but we will get to that later.  Your recommendaations on quarantine procedures for our officers? =/\=

The quarantine procedures that Anath had in mind were simple but effective.

G’Renn: =/\= For now, the EVA suits and the inoculations can likely keep the threat of the infection at bay. I recommend that we place sickbay under negative room pressure to keep the atmosphere contained and keep all of our patients in a sterile environment until we know enough to keep ourselves and them healthy aboard the Astraeus. =/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= Understood.  You haave my full authority to make use of whatever ship resources you need, Doctor.  In your estimaation, is it safe to offer help to the aliens in our Sickbay? =/\=

If time was not such a valuable commodity, she would be insistent on consulting the medical data and cross-checking the potential contaminants in their atmosphere. Bringing in aliens and accidentally poisoning them with their atmosphere would be a diplomatic disaster. But people were sick and injured. They had the resources to treat them in sickbay, so they had to bring them there. It was only logical.

G’Renn: =/\= Sickbay isn’t a very comforting or diplomatic environment, but we can create a safe environment. ::She paused for a moment.:: However, I would advise an abundance of caution. One wrong move could make things a lot less safe rather quickly.  =/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= Yes.  On this, we will be erring on the siide of caution.  We will do anything we can to help, but we will only briing them aboard if you consider it safe. =/\=

G’Renn: =/\= I consider it safe following proper biohazard containment procedures. =/\=

She wasn’t going to be taking any unnecessary risks. The phrase “better safe than sorry” was repeating itself in the back of her mind constantly. Even if it was just a skin infection, she’d rather work around the uncomfortable suit until she’d made that determination for sure.

Mei’konda: =/\= ? =/\=

It seemed best to coordinate orders with the bridge. She could say everything directly to the away team, but then she’d just have to repeat herself to the command crew so that they were kept in the loop. Best to have all of the commands coming from one place. Anath had a treatment plan in mind for the ill members of the Ragged Feather crew, and for those injured in the explosion as well.

G’Renn: =/\= The isolation rooms and the Biohazard ICU can both be used to keep the pathogen contained and treat the injured and ill in a controlled environment. I would recommend those from the engine room be routed to the Biohazard ICU without knowing the full extent of the injuries. =/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= ? =/\=

G’Renn: =/\= Understood, sir. Sickbay out. =/\=

The sound of a transporter beam could be heard across the room in one of the isolation rooms. Anath saw two Starfleet officers, probably the aforementioned Stennin and Grog, as well as two of the avians. The first patients had arrived.

G’Renn: ::Looking over at Yellir.:: I’m going to check on our guests. We need to have the rest of the sickbay staff inoculated and ready to respond to any medical needs that our friends may have as soon as possible.

Yellir: ?

Anath checked her suit one last time and made her way over to the isolation wing where the newly-returned away team were waiting.

((Isolation Wing - Deck 12, USS Astraeus))

The Astraeus sickbay had eight isolation rooms, four on each side of a single hallway. Anath paused outside of the entrance and the outer quarantine field shut off. Once she had stepped through, the field reappeared and the entryway was decontaminated before the inner field dematerialized and allowed her to enter the wing. She looked through the window into the first isolation room and observed the occupants. It was one of the few times she had met non-humanoids in her career.

Anath pressed a button on the wall comm panel, activating the intercom between the hallway and the isolation room that the team had materialized in.

G’Renn: =/\= Welcome back to the Astraeus. =/\=

Stennin/Fersis/Agwal: ?

She raised her hand in a Vulcan salute through the window and turned her attention to the two avians. It was time to enter “medical diplomacy” mode.

G’Renn: =/\= I’m Doctor Anath G’Renn. We’ve begun working on a treatment for your illness and hope to get you both feeling better as soon as possible. For the moment, we’re going to keep everyone here in this wing until we’ve gotten this bacteria under control. With your permission, I would like to collect blood samples from you to help us research a cure.  =/\=

She had no way to know what they had already been subjected to on their own ship. It was possible that they were already fed up with tests and medical treatments. But she desperately needed those samples. If at least one of them were agreeable, that would be enough.

Fersis/Agwal: ?

Stennin: ?

Lieutenant Commander Anath G'Renn

Chief Medical Officer, USS Astraeus