PNPCs 0101 & 1111 (+ Lieutenants JG 101 & 000) - Explanation of the Procedure

Mason G

Oct 9, 2023, 7:13:53 PM10/9/23
to sb118-a...@googlegroups.com

((1111 & 0101’s Quarters, Deck 12, USS Astraeus))

1111: Our current needs,

0101: have been met, Captain.

1111: Thank you all,

0101: for your hospitality;

1111: it is appreciated.

Mei’konda: Response

0101: Commander Kiax,

1111: would you care to stay?

0101: We have much to discuss.

Kiax: Of course, I’m eager to see what you think is the best course of action.

1111: We hoped that we might review your options,

0101: and the details of a procedure,

1111: should you wish to move forward with one.

Esa nodded, affirmatively, while 101 and 000 took each other’s hands, as if preparing to be on their way.

Kiax: Permission to take the rest of the day off, Captain?

Mei’konda: Response

0101: Excellent.

1111: We like to be thorough,

0101: but it shouldn’t take too long.

1111: As this is your medical information,

0101: whether we discuss this alone,

1111: or with someone else present as well,

0101: is entirely your decision.

Kiax: Well, my current condition is no secret to our present company, so I don’t mind – but, the Captain may have other business to attend to?

Mei’konda: Response

Kiax: ::Smiling slightly:: Thank you, Sir. So do I.

101: ::to their parents:: We’ll see you again,

000: when you have free time.

101: ::to Esa:: Take care,

000: okay?

0101 and 1111 waved goodbye, and their three guests quietly exited into the hallway. With the occupancy of the room suddenly cut in half, the energy was a bit more relaxed.

1111: Please, sit.

0101: Would you care,

1111: for refreshments?

Kiax: Response

The Bynars quietly retrieved drinks from the food replicator on the wall— they each had a cup of butterfly-pea flower tea, which was a striking blue color. They sat around a small table near the center of the room, just big enough for the three of them.

0101: First,

1111: would you tell us,

0101: about your current concerns?

Kiax: Well, I suppose the most pressing concern is if leaving it there is going to cause any long-term issues, or damage?

1111: It certainly could.

0101: Your brain isn’t exactly,

1111: built to have a chip there.

0101: Over time, through friction,

1111: implants can generate scar tissue,

0101: which is called gliosis.

1111: Have you had any new,

0101: negative side effects?

Esa gave a non-committal shrug.

Kiax: The occasional headache, but so far nothing untoward.

0101: That’s good…

1111: But what do you think?

0101: Do you want it out?

Kiax: I don’t know… It does present a unique opportunity to learn more about the Chon by interfacing with their technology – but if the trade off for that is irreparable brain damage then it’s probably best to undergo surgery.

The Bynars looked thoughtful for a moment.

1111: You would still be able,

0101: to learn about it,

1111: after removal.

0101: Glial scars are the main reason,

1111: for implants losing functionality,

0101: so it may stop working eventually,

1111: if left in place.

0101: That would be a shame.

Kiax: If the possibility existed, would we be able to modify the device somehow, to soften the impact? Or swap it out and embed it in another piece of technology that’s more compatible with my physiology?

1111: There are medications,

0101: to discourage glial scarring,

1111: and a few treatments,

0101: to repair scar tissue,

1111: but it’s a risk for all implants.

0101: Bynar synaptic processors,

1111: don’t typically cause much friction,

0101: because we excise tissue,

1111: to make room for them.

Kiax: Response

0101: Would you like to hear,

1111: a basic explanation,

0101: of the procedure?

Kiax: Response

0101 retrieved a small PADD from their coat, and 1111 reached across to change the display. One of the scans that they’d been sent appeared on the screen— it was an image of Esa’s brain with a small area highlighted. There, at the top of her brain, a tiny Chon implant about the size of a grain of rice sat.

1111: Your experience affected your senses, yes?

0101: The Chon neural transceiver is nestled,

1111: against your parietal lobe,

0101: which is responsible for sensory perception and integration.

1111: Luckily, that is our area of expertise.

0101: The operation would be minimally invasive,

1111: and performed via endoscope.

0101: Using our equipment from Bynaus,

1111: we could create an opening as small as,

0101: a few millimeters, then remove it.

1111: The site would be on your crown…

0101: right about here.

1111 tilted their head down slightly, and 0101 reached up with their index finger and tapped a particular spot on the top of their head.

Kiax: Response

1111: It would take, oh…

0101: perhaps an hour and a half.

1111: Very straightforward.

0101: No need to cut your hair…

1111: and as we wouldn’t be removing any tissue,

0101: no need for you to be awake during the procedure,

1111: which may be a relief to you.

Kiax: Response

The doctors paused a moment and softened slightly. As brave of a face as Esa liked to put on, it wasn’t difficult to tell that she was intimidated. Any reasonable person would be, at least a little bit.

With a pair of concerned expressions, 0101 and 1111 leaned forward slightly in their seats.

0101: Lieutenant Commander…

1111: We imagine that this must be,

0101: frightening for you…

1111: but please rest assured that we personally,

0101: have performed neurosurgical operations,

1111: thousands of times.

0101: Having trained in a society,

1111: where virtually every person,

0101: has had brain surgery,

1111: we would describe this as,

0101: a low-risk, routine procedure.

Bynaus was a popular destination for neuroscientists and surgeons across the galaxy looking to hone their craft, and for good reason. Very few other species had a comparable level of experience in the field of neurosurgery— the sheer number of operations conducted was staggering.

Kiax: Response

1111: Do you have,

0101: any questions?

Kiax: Response

—————————
PNPCs Zero One Zero One (0101) & One One One One (1111)
as written by

Lieutenants JG One Zero One (101) and Zero Zero Zero (000)
HCO Officers
USS Astraeus NCC-70652
C239907OZ1