Captain Mei'konda - Engage

Mei'konda

Jul 2, 2019, 1:33:06 AM7/2/19
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Astraeus

(( Bridge, USS Astraeus ))

:: As his ready room doors slid open, Mei’konda stepped out onto the Bridge.  It was something he’d done countless times before.  But this was the first time he’d stepped onto the bridge of the Astraeus as her Captain, at the start of a mission. ::

:: The recently refitted ship’s control center was large and comfortable, as it always had been, ever since its construction.  Now, it was more efficient as well. The control panels on the back and side walls had been expanded and updated, and access to all systems may as well have occurred at the speed of thought, with how quickly commands could be inputted and responded to by the vessel’s bio-neural main computers.  The seats were a comfortable padded maroon leather - and he’d ensured that his Captain’s chair had been modified to accommodate his tail. ::

Any: Response?

Mei’konda: As you were.

:: It was the beginning of alpha shift, and they were due to leave.  Systems checks had been finished, and it was time for them to leave. Almost reverently, Mei’konda stepped around to settle his lean body down onto the Captain’s chair. ::

Mei’konda: All stations report ready, Commander Rosek?

Rosek / Any: Responses

Mei’konda: Good.  Then let’s waake up Lieutenant Harkrow, shall we?

Rosek / Any: Responses

Mei’konda: =/\= Mei’konda to Engineering. =/\=

Harkrow / Engineering: =/\= Responses =/\=

:: The Caitian cleared his throat.  Even though there was no logical reason to be nervous about it - they’d tested these systems thoroughly already, after all - he still felt a hint of butterflies in his stomach. ::

Mei’konda: =/\= Bring main power online, and secure from condition blue.  I want us warp ready in fifteen minutes. :: =/\=

:: This was a routine situation.  Harkrow had had the schedule for a week, so he had no doubt that the ship’s Chief Engineer would be ready to go. ::

Harkrow / Engineering: =/\= Responses =/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= Thank you, Chief.  Bridge out. =/\=

:: The Caitian directed his attention toward Hamasaki at the helm station.  With his ears, the sound of the power beginning to thrum through the massive starship was obvious - he was fairly certain that even his human officers and crew could hear it. ::

Mei’konda Lieutenant Hamasaki, contact the dock master and request permission to depaart.

Hamasaki: Response

:: Mei’konda nodded slightly, and turned his attention to the large viewscreen in front of them. ::

Mei’konda: On screen.

Hamasaki: Response

:: With a brief flicker, a white-furred Caitian woman appeared on screen.  She smiled. ::

Traffic Control: =/\= This is spacedock traffiiic control.  Request for NCC-seven-zero-six-five-two to launch and commenccce on mission has been approved.  Use deparrrture vector alpha, thrusters only, and proceed alooong that path to open space. Safe flights, Astraeus. =/\=

:: Mei’konda shifted his weight in his seat, and smiled toward the more heavily accented Caitian in return.  Already, the chair he was using felt more well broken in than his old one on the Montreal. ::

Mei’konda: =/\= Much obliged, traffic control.  Astraeus out. =/\=

Any: Responses

Mei’konda: Lieutenant Hamasaki, take us out.  Once we’re clear of spacedock airspace, begin testing maneuvers.  At your discretiion, Lieutenant.

:: As the massive Galaxy class starship separated slowly from its berth and began to move past smaller traffic and out into open space, Mei’konda leaned forward in his seat, switching the view on the main viewscreen to an aft view.  Between the two rebuilt warp nacelles, their warp field grids gradually glowing a brighter and brighter blue, Ferasa Prime began to diminish behind them. Exhaling a slow breath, Mei’konda pushed up to his feet. ::

Mei’konda: That’s it, then.  We’re on our way.

Any: Responses

:: It wasn’t the best or most inspiring statement ever, Mei’konda reflected, a moment after the words escaped his mouth.  He could do better. The Caitian reached down to tap the armrest control on his chair that opened a shipwide channel. The bosun’s whistle rang out to announce it. ::

Mei’konda: =/\= This is Captain Mei’konda.  We’ve just undocked from the Ferasa Prime spacedock, and we are prepaaring to set a course back toward the core of Federation space.  Many of us haven’t been back in a long tiime. Perhaps there will be time to see friends. But… that’s not why we are all on this ship. =/\=

:: He paused a moment, then continued. ::

Mei’konda: =/\= We are the latest in a long line of the best of Starfleet, the officers and crew who bring the Astraeus to life.  This shiip has met new life, made new discoveriies… and now, with us, she will again.  I look forwaard to serviing with you all, on one of the best ships, with the best crew in the fleet.  Mei’konda out. =/\=

Any: Response

:: Mei’konda eased himself back down into his chair, and tipped his head back over to smile at Rosek. ::

Mei’konda: Ready to get to work, Commander?

Rosek / Any: Responses

Mei’konda: Excellent.  Lieutenant Hamasaki, lay in a course for Bajor.  Set speed to rise incrementally until we reach our cruising speed of warp eight.  Tomorrow, we will test the slipstream driive.

Hamasaki / Any: Responses

:: Mei’konda smiled slightly.  He switched the viewscreen to a forward view, showing nothing but the blackness of space and its subtle starfield in front of them.

Mei’konda: Engage.

Hamasaki / Any: Responses

Captain Mei’konda Delano

Commanding Officer